Securing access to email to protect against a stolen phone

Garoad

Reaction score
Is there a way to require a password to view your Gmail account?

Using a pattern screen lock isn't the answer (reasons below), and the other screen lock types are pretty frustrating. I already use the pattern lock, but there are two problems:

-If the phone is stolen (off a subway just as the doors close etc) while it's unlocked, it'll be accessible at least temporarily. (applies for any lock type actually)
-Even if it's locked after it's stolen, the screen unlock pattern is easily defeated if you haven't 'wiped' your screen-- notice that the oils from your finger leave the unlock pattern right on the screen for any halfway intelligent scumbags to see. I don't give a rats if they access anything on the phone OTHER than mail, so a simple password requirement for gmail would be fine. But how?

Changing the mail account (apparently) isn't an option since it was set up as the 'default' account and the Verizon tech neglected to tell me that (based on my research) only a factory reset can remove the email account from the phone. A lame solution (if that even works), obviously. Had I known this would be a problem, I'd have just used a second gmail account, but I guess it's too late now. I can't uninstall or disable the Gmail app, either.

What are my options for addressing this type of security risk?

Xerozix

Reaction score
To insure against this, I would recommend using a anti virus like WaveSecure that can wipe your phone.

P.S. If you really have that much finger oil that doesn't get rubbed away after being put in your pocket, jeez. :p

OP
Garoad

Garoad

Reaction score
Hmm, yeah that's a definite help, good one!

I don't know about whether the oils stay that long, but then again I do have Italian blood- LOL. A bigger concern would be having it yanked out of your hands when using it on a metro train, just before the doors close (never made it to a pocket). Apparently my area has a large number of scum who like to use this tactic to steal people's electronics. Haven't seen it happen yet but the idea of my most important account being accessible from an easily stolen device isn't so cool.

Seriously, they need to modify the Gmail application so it can optionally require the account password to check mail.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Wouldn't matter man. Even if the email required a password, the market wouldn't. Gtalk wouldn't, etc... Hell I'd rather someone see my email than to go in and get my credit card data from the market.

OP
Garoad

Garoad

Reaction score
I don't really use any of those other things and I don't think it'd be a major issue (even a credit card, at least there's fraud protection). Your 'main' mail account is tied into things like bank account password resets, and so on, so it's a big deal.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Something like Wavesecure and a password/PIN lock. Security is best layered.

If you really have that much finger oil that doesn't get rubbed away after being put in your pocket, jeez.
It's pretty common for people with the pattern lock to have their pattern on the screen in finger oil. It doesn't take much.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I don't really use any of those other things and I don't think it'd be a major issue (even a credit card, at least there's fraud protection). Your 'main' mail account is tied into things like bank account password resets, and so on, so it's a big deal.

TOUCHé... I'll agree with that.

Netkeys

Reaction score
You can go about it from another angle. Just change your password on the Gmail account and they won't have access any more. Think account instead of phone.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Protector from the market. It'll password protect any app you want and its free.

OP
Garoad

Garoad

Reaction score
Protector is great! That's all I need, thanks a million!