How do you disable ADW launcher?

awriternot

Reaction score
I want to play around with ICS but I can't figure out how to switch back to stock launcher. Can I do this without losing my settings?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
If you go into your apps and select ADW you should be able to reset defaults (or something like that) towards the bottom. After that just hit the home button and you should be able to select the stock launcher.

Sent From the Land Before Time...
Tapatalk 2_ ICS Xparent

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes you just have to clear defaults.

Go to the settings area>applications>ADW>clear defaults.

Upon pressing the home button again it will ask which launcher you want to use.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Yeah but you had a prettier path to follow :)

Sent From the Land Before Time...
Tapatalk 2_ ICS Xparent

OP
awriternot

awriternot

Reaction score
But if I clear defaults, won't it undo all of the settings I put in to ADW? Is there a way to switch without losing those settings? TIA!!!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
No, it will not clear settings. It will merely make it no longer the default launcher.

OP
awriternot

awriternot

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your answers. I posted another question about how to change the icons. Anyone know if you can do this using the default ICS launcher?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can but you need to use another program to do it. It change the icons permanently, but only if you are rooted.

If you want the ICS look, with the added functionality, I would try another launcher. Apex, and Nova launchers come to mind. They are almost extensions of ICS.

OP
awriternot

awriternot

Reaction score
Thanks. I DL Apex & love it! Just what I was looking for.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
But if I clear defaults, won't it undo all of the settings I put in to ADW? Is there a way to switch without losing those settings? TIA!!!

Go to the Google Play Store and download Moto Home Fix. Run it and then press the Home key. It will ask you which launcher to use and gives you the option to choose one as a default. This fixes the launcher takeovers without clearing the various launcher's settings.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You can but you need to use another program to do it. It change the icons permanently, but only if you are rooted.

If you want the ICS look, with the added functionality, I would try another launcher. Apex, and Nova launchers come to mind. They are almost extensions of ICS.

There is an app called "Desktop Visualizer" which allows you to make custom icons, and even name them differently. You can use an image file to launch an app, (or do nothing at all), and if you know what size to make them you can use Photoshop or Fireworks or any image editing program to make your own images to use as icons. I used it on my old Droid 2 to make custom icons. It's a great app (and it's FREE) lol

ltfrakes

Reaction score
I changed back to the default ICS launcher from ADW-EX. Now I want to switch back to ADW, but the area to set default is grayed out. I've tried uninstall/reinstall, but I can't get ADW to stick. Any thoughts on how to do this?