how do i root, which rom is best for battery, signal, features and ics?

wvdroidman

Reaction score
I just got the razr maxx. I really have rooted since the droid original.
I was curious if there was a place or website that showed me how to root the maxx?
Also which rom is the best for battery,signal, features and ics?

The one I kept going back to on the droid was Simply Stunning.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
use Matt's utility it's in a sticky above. Pretty straight forward ..
I am running the deodexed 6.14.75 ICS leak and my battery seems to have doubled. (only day 3 but a guess) with a darkened icon theme I made to go nicely with the stock blackness of ics.
As far as features it's just the stock ICS. what type are you looking for?
This was my 2nd flashing of anything as stock gingerbread was sufficient.

I had a few errors the other night an had to wipe and restore to take the OTA 181 so I figure what the heck and tested the ICS leak and decided I was staying here.
Just stay away from the ICS released the other night, it's buggy go with 6.14.75

Last edited:

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is it as easy as the Droid was to root?
depends on how you rooted the droid. With my d1 I went to market downloaded a one click app and was done... LOL!

the utility is pretty darn easy for me .
click the .bat file it opens. a menu pops up you select what you want.. :)
read over the thread it should help you..

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
does that app exist for the maxx?
nope..
by all means if your not comfortable don't jump head first. read the thread then read it again.. you'll pick up on other peoples mistakes.

have you ever rsd your droid?

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
what is rsd? Yes I went through all of those steps before I found the app in the market. Downloading the file rooting, running and hopeing it doesn't brick the phone. Then wipe it and start over with new rom until you find one that you like and if you get tired of it switch it or go back to stock.

That was over a year ago though. I'm sure once I read up on it..it will all click hopefully. Just was hoping I wouldn't have to re-learn all of those steps again.

Last edited:

Rolfsted

Reaction score
I've been running MIUI and battery life is great.

Skiwong at xda is doing a great job.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I just got the razr maxx. I really have rooted since the droid original.
I was curious if there was a place or website that showed me how to root the maxx?
Also which rom is the best for battery,signal, features and ics?

The one I kept going back to on the droid was Simply Stunning.
The RazrUtility in the sticky above (already mentioned) is the easiest and safest way to root your maxx. WARNING: there are a couple of leaked ICS builds out there that you should stay away from...6.14.84 and 6.14.85. If you install one of those two leaks you are going to be stuck with that build of ICS...there will be no updates/upgrades or going back to stock, not at this time anyway and maybe never. Just a friendly suggestion...if you do root do not delete any system app (an app that you could not delete without root). Just download Titanium Backup and freeze the apps you don't use/want. If you delete a system app you will not be able to get OTA updates...and the next one will probably be the official ICS for Razr/Maxx. The utility mentioned will root you, unroot, take you back to stock .173 and several other handy things.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
I don't see the utility for the latest update sent last week though.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I don't see the utility for the latest update sent last week though.
The utility will only take you to .173. After you're on .173 you can menu>settings>about phone>check for updates. That will get you back to .181 which is the latest OTA update.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
problem is I'm already at .181 . So when can i expect something to work with my version?

Logan3824

Reaction score
I have the droid Razr, I rooted with the utility when I had .174, I updated to .181 and still was able to use the utility. If you read matts post he said its compatable...I didn't even have to unfreeze my apps to system update which either I have a derped phone or I'm lucky.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
On 181 already then just select root.
It will do its thing rebooting a few times.
then install bootstrap for recovery.

----posted MAXXED OUT WITH dessert----