Not new to rooting, but I have questions ...

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hey gang, I am not new to rooting, I rooted my Droid 2 before there were "1 Click" root methods. I did an SBF to accept the Gingerbread OTA update, but did another SBF to go back to 2.3.20 because I hated Gingerbread, and I re-rooted, and froze the updater with Titanium Backup to keep it like that.

That being said, I am getting a new Razr Maxx from the Fedex man tomorrow, and of course, I want to root it so that I can restore my already paid for apps, mainly Titanium Backup. As I did before I rooted my D2, I have researched and read and studied everything, but I have found some new things along the way. Also I DO NOT do ROM's at all.

I have "Droid 2 Bootstrapper" on my D2 ... is that the same thing as "Safestrapper"?

I read about "Rootkeeper" ... which keeps your root for OTA updates. Does this mean when ICS comes out for the Razr Maxx I won't have to re-root after taking the OTA?

I have checked out the "Motofail" and "Razr Utility" options for rooting, but I have also seen where others have failed to root with both. Is one recommended over the other? Which one is easiest? I'm one of those who likes to do it once and not have to worry about it again. It took me 3 days of fighting with Big red to get the Razr Maxx for the price I got it :biggrin:

Thanks for any help!

pinoy_92

Reaction score
matt's razr utility uses motofail to root .181 (gingerbread). with that said, when you get your phone you should be able to root with no problems. since ICS is not out yet, you do not need to worry about root keeper. you do not need safestrap or bootstrap because all you are doing is rooting your phone. safestrap and bootstrap are more commonly used for installing rom and leaks.

when rooting your phone using matt's utility 1.6, all you need to do is to turn on debug on, connect your phone to your pc, set it as charge only. and follow the instructions on the utility.

if you have anymore questions regarding rooting, installing roms, or installing leaks, head on over to droidrzr.com. we'll help you get more in depth.

rooting your phone will void any warranty!!
so before you root it, make sure you are happy with it as it is.

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
matt's razr utility uses motofail to root .181 (gingerbread). with that said, when you get your phone you should be able to root with no problems. since ICS is not out yet, you do not need to worry about root keeper. you do not need safestrap or bootstrap because all you are doing is rooting your phone. safestrap and bootstrap are more commonly used for installing rom and leaks.

when rooting your phone using matt's utility 1.6, all you need to do is to turn on debug on, connect your phone to your pc, set it as charge only. and follow the instructions on the utility.

if you have anymore questions regarding rooting, installing roms, or installing leaks, head on over to droidrzr.com. we'll help you get more in depth.

rooting your phone will void any warranty!!
so before you root it, make sure you are happy with it as it is.

What I will probably do is root the phone, and freeze the updater with Titanium Backup and keep it like that for a while. Don't really care about ICS, as long as I can root, and tether, use Titanium Backup, and use a file manager on the phone, I'm good to go. My needs are simple. LOL

And yes, I am aware of the whole warranty thing. After ICS has been out for a while, and a root option has been reached, maybe then I will let it have some ICS

Many thanks! :biggrin: