Rooted or Unrooted?

jtc303

Reaction score
You do know, as has already been mentioned in this thread, that you can now freeze apps you don't want or use natively in ICS, right? You don't need root or a third-party app to do that any more.
I know you can disable a certain amount of apps preloaded on your phone but is it available for all apps? haven't really played around... I should say I don't use it exclusively for freezing apps, I also use TiBU to backup my stuff and also tweak stuff with Rom Toolbox and autostarts...

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I know you can disable a certain amount of apps preloaded on your phone but is it available for all apps? haven't really played around... I should say I don't use it exclusively for freezing apps, I also use TiBU and tweak stuff with Rom Toolbox and autostarts...

It's an option for almost all of the apps. I know that Device Setup, Guided Tours, and Emergency Alerts can't be disabled, but I think that's about it.

jtc303

Reaction score
It's an option for almost all of the apps. I know that Device Setup, Guided Tours, and Emergency Alerts can't be disabled, but I think that's about it.
So it won't affect future updates if I were to uninstall apps like Blockbuster/Madden etc and all the verizon bloatware?

Rento

Reaction score
Won't let me kill google play books and moto print... I can't find any apps that list every app in the phone, because my apps list isn't showing a few apps that I have (bloatware).

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
So it won't affect future updates if I were to uninstall apps like Blockbuster/Madden etc and all the verizon bloatware?

If the system gives you the option to uninstall an app, then no, it won't have an impact on future updates if you uninstall. But for most of the bloat, you can only disable, not uninstall. You should be able to update just fine with apps that are disabled via the stock system. And you can always enable disabled apps if you want to later on.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Won't let me kill google play books and moto print... I can't find any apps that list every app in the phone, because my apps list isn't showing a few apps that I have (bloatware).

I have both Play Books and MotoPrint disabled. As I mentioned before, you may have uninstall updates first, but you can disable them.

Also, some "bloatware" isn't considered an app, but rather a "process." While there is an app that controls it, it isn't a user-accessible app due to the nature of what it does. Some of this cannot be disabled. If you want to see a list of all the apps on your phone, including the ones that are considered processes, follow the instructions in my post previous post in this thread on how to get to the list of all of your apps:

Settings -> Apps -> slide the tabs at the top to the far right and you'll see the tab for "All." Select the All tab, and from there, scroll to the bottom of the app list to see your disabled apps.

jtc303

Reaction score
If the system gives you the option to uninstall an app, then no, it won't have an impact on future updates if you uninstall. But for most of the bloat, you can only disable, not uninstall. You should be able to update just fine with apps that are disabled via the stock system. And you can always enable disabled apps if you want to later on.
Yea I know that.. Which is why I rooted so I could have control over more than the 25 or so apps Verizon allows you to disable...

Montoya321

Reaction score
How about rooting to unlock the device, so i can use it on other networks? Just asking cause i travel alot to Mexico and I'm new to android. By the way Mexico is mainly Gsm, so would root allow me to use a pre paid GSM card? Please help?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
How about rooting to unlock the device, so i can use it on other networks? Just asking cause i travel alot to Mexico and I'm new to android. By the way Mexico is mainly Gsm, so would root allow me to use a pre paid GSM card? Please help?

If you have the ICS update, the SIM slot is already unlocked. You can use a prepaid GSM SIM card outside of the U.S. without needing to do anything to the phone. There's no need to root in order to do that (and even if the SIM slot was locked, rooting wouldn't help).