How do I get my student email on android

Dragoro

Reaction score
Its ran through gmail but its @Oaklandcc.edu instead of @gmail. I cant seem to figure it out! Please help!

lyam

Reaction score
Try Menu>Settings>Accounts and Sync>Click Add Account.

I've got my google apps for education email on my droid. Works great.

Its ran through gmail but its @Oaklandcc.edu instead of @gmail. I cant seem to figure it out! Please help!

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You'll have to set it up in the EMail app. I bet it is a pop 3 email account, should be fine.

tims4789

Reaction score
I work for Information Technology Services at my school. We just recently started supporting access from Outlook and other software/devices. If your school allows you to check email from mobile devices then I would call the IT department and ask them for the correct settings. They should be able to help you out. Our settings for outgoing and incoming mail are just the part after the @ in an email address. We also use SSL encryption. I hope this helps.

lyam

Reaction score
Just to clarify, if your school is using GAFE (gmail but with your schools domain) you should be able to access this natively via your accounts tool in your droid. Once you've established the account, you switch between which account you're viewing in the gmail app.

If it's not really a gmail account, you will have to use one of the other solutions discussed above.

Good luck.

Last edited:

bhawks

Reaction score
I work for Information Technology Services at my school. We just recently started supporting access from Outlook and other software/devices. If your school allows you to check email from mobile devices then I would call the IT department and ask them for the correct settings. They should be able to help you out. Our settings for outgoing and incoming mail are just the part after the @ in an email address. We also use SSL encryption. I hope this helps.

Yup this is exactly what I did. Just called my schools computer help services, told them I had a Motorola droid with verizon and was trying to set up the email. They knew exactly what I was talking about and told me the ingoing/outgoing settings

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try the K9 email app (free in the market). I doubt it will come to this but worse case forward your school email to your Gmail account.

Do check with your schools IT staff they may require a VPN for handheld devices.

Mike

tims4789

Reaction score

Yup this is exactly what I did. Just called my schools computer help services, told them I had a Motorola droid with verizon and was trying to set up the email. They knew exactly what I was talking about and told me the ingoing/outgoing settings

Glad it helped! I'm actually at work right now. haha

OP
Dragoro

Dragoro

Reaction score
Just to clarify, if your school is using GAFE (gmail but with your schools domain) you should be able to access this natively via your accounts tool in your droid. Once you've established the account, you switch between which account you're viewing in the gmail app.

If it's not really a gmail account, you will have to use one of the other solutions discussed above.

Good luck.

How do I do this?

lyam

Reaction score
See if this works:
Android - Gmail Help

To configure the 'Email' app on an Android device for access to Google Apps email, just follow the steps below:

1. Enable IMAP in your Mail settings.
  2. On your phone, press < Home >, then open the Email application.
  3. On the 'Your accounts' page, select Next to get started with setup.
  4. Enter your full Google Apps email address and password, then select Next.
  5. Select IMAP account and then select Next.On the 'Incoming server settings' page, some fields may be pre-populated. Make sure to change the following:
  6. For 'Username,' enter your full Google Apps email address
  7. For 'IMAP server,' enter 'imap.gmail.com'
  8. For 'Port,' enter '993'
  9. For 'Security type,' select 'SSL (always)''
  10. Select Next.On the 'Outgoing server settings' page, some fields may be pre-populated. Make sure to change the following:
  11. For 'SMTP server' enter 'smtp.gmail.com'
  12. For 'Port,' enter '465'
  13. For 'Security type,' select 'SSL (always)''
  14. Select Next and continue through the setup options.
You can verify your settings from the Inbox view by tapping < Menu > > Account settings.
Incoming settings
IMAP server: imap.gmail.com
Port: 993
Security type: SSL (always)
Outgoing settings
SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 465
Security type: SSL (always)

Good luck.

How do I do this?

OP
Dragoro

Dragoro

Reaction score
I keep getting incorrect username or password after i hit next for incoming settings, but I am entering the right name and password

dwagner88

Reaction score
My school switched to gmail this semester as well. My address is an @mocs.utc.edu address, but I can add it under the stock gmail app by typing in [username]@mocs.utc.edu into the gmail username field, and then typing my password. I had to email the schools IT department for them to unlock access in this way, but it wasn't a problem. Works great, and under Froyo, its easy to switch between accounts.

lyam

Reaction score
Make sure you are entering your email address for your user name.