There has got to be a way

jbw52

Reaction score
Surely there must be a way to make Gmail my default email account. I have four other email accounts that I have set up in the email app, but I use gmail more than any of the others. Gmail I have set up in the gmail app. I cannot find any way to make gmail my default email account. You would think that since gmail is so tightly woven into the android experience, that there would be an easy way to do this.

The only way that I can think of is to reset the phone back to factory and then instead of using the gmail app, add gmail through the email app. To me this is unacceptable.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Surely there must be a way to make Gmail my default email account. I have four other email accounts that I have set up in the email app, but I use gmail more than any of the others. Gmail I have set up in the gmail app. I cannot find any way to make gmail my default email account. You would think that since gmail is so tightly woven into the android experience, that there would be an easy way to do this.

The only way that I can think of is to reset the phone back to factory and then instead of using the gmail app, add gmail through the email app. To me this is unacceptable.

How did you get into this position in the first place? At time of purchase they should have had you punch in your gmail account and then you would have been all set. Did something else happen?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

You have Gmail in both the App and the Stock Email App?

ChugIt

Reaction score
I only use Gmail so I'm not sure I understand the problem. I always assumes that even if you use the email app that Gmail would be default. Don't your contacts and such sync with Gmail?

OP
J

jbw52

Reaction score
How did you get into this position in the first place? At time of purchase they should have had you punch in your gmail account and then you would have been all set. Did something else happen?

I did have gmail setup initially when I purchased my phone. Later when I went home I added my other accounts in the stock email app, but in the stock app it forces me to choose a default account.

You have Gmail in both the App and the Stock Email App?

No, I don't have gmail in both apps, only in the gmail app.

Uprangewilly

Reaction score
Well then add gmail to the email app and tell the email app you want to use gmail as the default.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
I did the same as you initially.....gmail account for the phone, my email accounts using the email app.

I've since ditched using the email app completely. I just use the gmail app and I have gone to gmail.com and configured gmail to pull my email from my other accounts. I personally choose to "not delete" the emails from the other accounts so when I get home and fire up my computer/email I can pull everything down like I had been doing, each account going to it's own inbox.

On gmail, I configured Labels for each email server so I can easily know which account the email came from.

Has made things simpler, improved battery life (not polling for emails every 10 minutes as gmail will "push" them down when it polls server to server), I don't get duplicate emails and I'm not using two email programs...just gmail.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I did the same as you initially.....gmail account for the phone, my email accounts using the email app.

I've since ditched using the email app completely. I just use the gmail app and I have gone to gmail.com and configured gmail to pull my email from my other accounts. I personally choose to "not delete" the emails from the other accounts so when I get home and fire up my computer/email I can pull everything down like I had been doing, each account going to it's own inbox.

On gmail, I configured Labels for each email server so I can easily know which account the email came from.

Has made things simpler, improved battery life (not polling for emails every 10 minutes as gmail will "push" them down when it polls server to server), I don't get duplicate emails and I'm not using two email programs...just gmail.

TC, I thought this was a great idea. I went to google and it up to poll my pop3 accounts. All seems to working fine. I'm getting my pop3's pushed to the gmail app. One question I do have and have not found an answer yet on Google, is there a way to adjust the frequency with which google polls my pop3 servers?

Again, thanks for the heads up.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
TC, I thought this was a great idea. I went to google and it up to poll my pop3 accounts. All seems to working fine. I'm getting my pop3's pushed to the gmail app. One question I do have and have not found an answer yet on Google, is there a way to adjust the frequency with which google polls my pop3 servers?

I haven't found a setting for this (or even if there is one). I haven't noticed any change in me getting email.....

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I haven't found a setting for this (or even if there is one). I haven't noticed any change in me getting email.....

Well, it's not like I'm getting emails slowly. They seem to be coming through very quick. I just wanted to confirm the polling frequency. All's good so far and again, thanks for the heads up. :icon_ banana: