How can I use this overseas?

Kurupt

Reaction score
Sooo I am going to Israel in a couple weeks and want to use a crutch I call my phone. Not a crutch really, but lately when I travel, having internet and GPS on my phone has made a world of difference. I went to Panama a couple years back with my Blackberry Storm and before Verizon starting raping people on international data. Basically I know I can't use minutes (unless I want to pay $2 a second). I have groove IP for calling on VOIP if need to. I would love to be able to use data and/ or gps if I could. Any clue on what I can do? Thanks!!

Randy

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe VZW offers decently priced international data packages. Otherwise the cdma gnex can't be used overseas, only the GSM variant.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I believe that Israel is one of the few countries where CDMA is widely used. According to Verizon's global section of their website, voice and data should work in Israel via international roaming. You won't be able to use LTE, just 3G. But you're going to pay an outrageous amount for data according to their Global Data page. So, unless you want to pay Verizon's fees for global roaming, you won't be able to use any type of cellular connection on the Galaxy Nexus while in Israel. There's really no other option for a CDMA phone, particularly if you're just traveling. If you have offline maps stored on your phone, GPS will work just fine without any type of cellular connection. I used GPS all the time while I was in Albania while keeping the phone in airplane mode.

KeepItReal

Reaction score
You can put the phone in airplane mode and then turn on wifi and use a local wifi in your hotel or in a cafe/McDonald's (lol). You could use email and the browser to communicate. You can sent text messages via email for quick communicating using the formats here for different carriors:

http://20somethingfinance.com/how-to-send-text-messages-sms-via-email-for-free/

To view requirements and cost for using the phone during International travel use the following website:

http://businessportals.verizonwireless.com/international/traveling_to/index.html

Using the phones 3g/4g Data will be cost prohibited but there are plans for that on the above Verizonwirewireless website. Happy traveling. I have a saying that I use: I have been to Ohio...... lol

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you need to make calls, use Tango. The person on the other end will have to have Tango as well.

Once installed, turn airplane mode on, then turn wifi on and make sure you're connected, then make your call via Tango, completely free.

jerroedr

Reaction score
shoot i couldnt even get data in puerto rico. i was royally pissed... then i got drunk for 5 days

alboboy10

Reaction score
I believe that Israel is one of the few countries where CDMA is widely used. According to Verizon's global section of their website, voice and data should work in Israel via international roaming. You won't be able to use LTE, just 3G. But you're going to pay an outrageous amount for data according to their Global Data page. So, unless you want to pay Verizon's fees for global roaming, you won't be able to use any type of cellular connection on the Galaxy Nexus while in Israel. There's really no other option for a CDMA phone, particularly if you're just traveling. If you have offline maps stored on your phone, GPS will work just fine without any type of cellular connection. I used GPS all the time while I was in Albania while keeping the phone in airplane mode.

Hmmm I'm going to Albania this summer (cause I'm from there) and was going to open a topic for questions myself. How did you store it offline?

You're not Albanian are you

OP
Kurupt

Kurupt

Reaction score
Yeah I too would love to know how to get maps off line. This was a problem for me when I was in PR also

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Hmmm I'm going to Albania this summer (cause I'm from there) and was going to open a topic for questions myself. How did you store it offline?

You're not Albanian are you

There are different map and GPS apps that allow you to store offline maps. Some have options to download through the app, others let you use maps that you find online. Some are free, others make you pay for things. At the moment, I can't recall exactly which apps I was using for everything. I started switching around to different custom ROMs after I returned, wiping everything as I went. I'll try to look around and find out what I used. They weren't incredibly detailed, but they were good enough to walk around town with and get to where I was going.

No, I'm not Albanian. I was over there doing some work for my PhD program with a university in Tirana.