How can I do this?

lizzie218

Reaction score
Super newbie to Droid2G and Droids in general. I have only had my phone for a week. I did a quick search through the forums to see if I could find anything but I couldn't. We leave in 20 days for a trip to Jamaica. I saw the info on data usage and roaming fees through Verizion... WOW that is crazy expensive. I don't necessarily need to use my phone to make calls but would like to use the internet or Skype or something like that. Is there a way I can use the WiFi on the phone to do that ( I have WiFi at the resort)? Is there another way around those fees?

Thanks for reading and helping the newbie out! :)

txter

Reaction score
turn the radio off (settings, wireless & networks settings,) it will turn of the radio so you can only use wifi. then go down and turn on wifi. then go to wifi settings and connect to the network. you can then pretty much do whatever you need to. call with Skype or google voice, email, web. im not sure if you can txt or not.

OP
L

lizzie218

Reaction score
Thanks so much txter! It worked! Is there an app that will do video chat droid to PC? Or should I just stick with Skype?

leobg

Reaction score
Droid 2g doesn't have front facing camera, so I am afraid you will be limited to voice only. There is an app called fring which could be possible to use rear video camera, but I am not quite sure.
As far as text messaging goes - you can't do it over wifi.

rudydroid

Reaction score
turn the radio off (settings, wireless & networks settings,) it will turn of the radio so you can only use wifi. then go down and turn on wifi. then go to wifi settings and connect to the network. you can then pretty much do whatever you need to. call with Skype or google voice, email, web. im not sure if you can txt or not.

gee, wish i'd known this before spending three days in ensenada.
fortunately, it was only an extra $40.