google just jack slapped Skype

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. Placing calls through gmail, I wonder how that's going to work? I understand Google Voice of course but how would we make a call in Google voice. Maybe they will have a button for it. It be nice to make voice calls through my computer.

Reaction score
I highly doubt this is geared towards phones...there really isnt much point in them putting this on Android phones because we've already got the Google Voice app.

beer guy

Reaction score
I just tried it and when I made a call it showed up as my google voice number. Pretty cool, I will be using this alot.

AlBundy

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
SIP service is very useful if you would be roaming, and can get a Wifi connection, or to make phone calls from an unactivated phone:).

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've made a couple of calls with it. It comes with a video plug in too. I'm anxious to see how that works, my Mac does have a camera.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Call phones from Gmail

So just went to my gmail.com account, and I see this little pop-up about "NEW! Make phone calls to US & Canada free from Gmail".

I click for more info and it prompts me to install voice & video chat software. Doesn't tell me anything more.

Anyone know the story with this?

Is this just google talk? I called my cell from my computer and it seemed to work well. Don't think you can do it from the Droid, though (not yet anyway).

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I did a few more tests with my bluetooth headsets. Got a terrible echo and feedback.

I also notice that it now has Google Chat as a forwarding option in my Google Voice settings.

Maybe I'm just really late to the game here, but I'm wondering if this isn't the free VoIP we've been anticipating for months and months with Google's purchase of Gizmo5.

Takenover83

Reaction score
I think Google Voice is just becoming a little more integrated with gmail.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It might be moot as I finally got free in/out VoIP with sipgate and sipsorcery to work.

Still, seems like it might be pretty cool with free voice and video over the computer.

OK, just realized I can test by calling my sipdroid from google talk!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tried it yesterday. It was so cool, not like the days when you had to stick a microphone on your computer and split it with a land line. Works real well.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I've been playing around with it. Hard to test myself with my phone because of feedback (appears to be very little lag, I can only catch the last half second of what I say).

Seems to work pretty good with my bluetooth headset (stereo phones, haven't tried the other earpiece).

Was playing back and forth....Not sure of the overall call quality. I'll do some experimenting later today. My initial reaction is sipdroid/sipsorcery/sipgate is better call clarity (which I finally got to work, yeah!).

I tried with google voice, gmail (computer agent) and google talk and doesn't seem you can do this from the Droid. But one would guess it's only a matter of time.

This is the game changer (beta, anyway) I've been excited to see how it plays out. I'm laughing at people complaining about cell bills - with this service (assuming the quality is there or gets there soon) and google voice you pretty much get unlimited free calling and texts. No need for expensive minute and text plans. Where it gets interesting is carriers WILL NOT like that, and certainly justification for tiered/higher prices (and everyone can share that savings, thanks to Google).

Certainly if this (or sipdroid) works for me I'm switching from unlimited minutes to the 450 plan.

Cool thing about google voice is it gives you a separate number to ring your VoIP if you set it up that way. I can't wait to do a video conference call on an airplane and get the amazed looks from people.

Last edited: