Hotmail for Android - Finally a Good Way

audioscience

Reaction score
What version of 2.2 are you guys running? I'm running LithMod on my Droid and can't get it to work on either the stock email app or Touchdown.

I read on the XDA HTC Desire forum that there is an updated 2.2 email app that works, but I'm not sure if that's the one I'm using or a different one. I may try and install it and see if it works.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
thanks for this.. worked great.. Droid 1​

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
What version of 2.2 are you guys running? I'm running LithMod on my Droid and can't get it to work on either the stock email app or Touchdown.

I read on the XDA HTC Desire forum that there is an updated 2.2 email app that works, but I'm not sure if that's the one I'm using or a different one. I may try and install it and see if it works.

for me, FRG22D stock, rooted

audioscience

Reaction score
I realized that I was leaving the "\" in the Domain\Username field and typing my email address after that (because that's how it works on my other Exchange account).

Anyhow, after I removed the backslash it worked for me.

famac!

Reaction score
Works great but why the **** is it also alerting me to new mail in my junk folder?? Anyway to stop junk being reported??

Ritz

Reaction score
UPDATE 2: EVIDENTLY THIS ONLY WORKS FOR THE DROID 1...not sure why, as I don't have a D2, but a couple of people have confirmed it won't work on the D2 for whatever reason.

For the few of you who still use Hotmail as your main email (don't make fun of us!), and are running Froyo, Microsoft has activated Exchange ActiveSync for Hotmail starting today. Now we can actually have a synced up version of Hotmail on our phones, as opposed to the basic POP3 access we had before. It also syncs up your Windows Live Contacts and Calendar with the phone.

Here's the article: Hotmail now supports push email, calendar, and contacts with Exchange ActiveSync

The setup instructions on their website don't match, exactly, what we see in the default email application, so this is how it should look for setup:
  • First, you put in your email address and password, then you hit "manual setup" (not "next"), then choose "Exchange". From there, you'll see the following...
  • Domain\Username: Clear out and put in your full hotmail address
  • Password: if not pre-filled, obviously put in your hotmail password
  • Server: m.hotmail.com
  • Check "Use Secure Connection (SSL)"
  • Not sure yet on "accept all SSL certificates" - I've had it unchecked with no issues so far
Evidently, this won't work in Android 2.1. From their support forum regarding Android:

Android Support: Hotmail team will add Android to list of supported devices in the coming months after testing is completed.
  • Access from Android 2.1 is NOT supported due to known client issues on Android 2.1.
  • There are users successfully syncing from Hotmail via the default application or the Touchdown application on Android 2.2. (it's been working great for me so far)
Once you're setup, you can customize the settings as you see fit. So far, it's working great for me, and doesn't seem to be adding any battery drain (as we have occasionally seen on handsets using push). Hopefully this will come in handy for the other two of you out there still using Hotmail. :)

Update 1:
I've noticed three small issues that are worth mentioning (especially if you're used to the gmail app), but not a huge deal... (at least to me :))
1) It appears it does text only, no pictures. Maybe that's an issue with the stock email app? Don't know myself, as I've never used the stock email app, but I'm assuming it's Hotmail.
2) There doesn't appear to be a way to move messages into other folders from their current location.
3) As Dragoro pointed out, it only syncs back one month. This is not a big deal for me personally, but could very easily be for others.
* Sidenote - the mobile Hotmail website was revamped awhile back (wave 4) and has most (if not all) of the functionality of the actual website... just something to note for those that haven't checked it out in awhile.

Confirmed it works on Droid 2. I was trying to add another "Email Account", and hence it was not working. You need to add a "Corporate Sync" account using the settings described in the above thread and it will work on Droid 2. It syncs up the Read/Unread messages and deleted messages very well.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Confirmed it works on Droid 2. I was trying to add another "Email Account", and hence it was not working. You need to add a "Corporate Sync" account using the settings described in the above thread and it will work on Droid 2. It syncs up the Read/Unread messages and deleted messages very well.

awesome, thanks for the update

nhra1ss

Reaction score
Works for me on my Droid 2, but wish I could view what is inside the folders.

legalkill

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force
I noticed that it would not delete emails already received on the phone automatically when deleted from the server on the website. is there a way to get the actual inbox to sync every time. I would like to not pile up crap emails that I deleted from the the inbox on the computer.