Hotmail for Android - Finally a Good Way

audioscience

Reaction score
I noticed that it would not delete emails already received on the phone automatically when deleted from the server on the website. is there a way to get the actual inbox to sync every time. I would like to not pile up crap emails that I deleted from the the inbox on the computer.

If you have ActiveSync setup everything should delete on both the phone side and server side. Your mail should sync without a problem.

What you're describing sounds like a POP3 account. Check your incoming settings and make sure your account is set to ActiveSync Exchange and not POP3.

That's exactly what it would do with a Hotmail account before because of the limitations of POP3.

legalkill

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force
I went back to pop because it would actually sync my inbox completely after changes were made on the internet although without any push. Maybe something went wrong with the active sync setup. I will try again.

With the exchange setup it would not delete emails off my phone that I deleted in hotmail on my computer.

Dragoro

Reaction score
I went back to pop because it would actually sync my inbox completely after changes were made on the internet although without any push. Maybe something went wrong with the active sync setup. I will try again.

With the exchange setup it would not delete emails off my phone that I deleted in hotmail on my computer.

Thought that was the whole idea. What ya do on comp is synced to phone, and vice versa.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Update 1:
I've noticed three small issues that are worth mentioning (especially if you're used to the gmail app), but not a huge deal... (at least to me :))
1) It appears it does text only, no pictures. Maybe that's an issue with the stock email app? Don't know myself, as I've never used the stock email app, but I'm assuming it's Hotmail.
2) There doesn't appear to be a way to move messages into other folders from their current location.
3) As Dragoro pointed out, it only syncs back one month. This is not a big deal for me personally, but could very easily be for others.
* Sidenote - the mobile Hotmail website was revamped awhile back (wave 4) and has most (if not all) of the functionality of the actual website... just something to note for those that haven't checked it out in awhile.
Are these issues with Hotmail's ActiveSync support or with the email app? One reason I'm using Touchdown is that it will allow me to specify any number of days to sync.

Works great but why the **** is it also alerting me to new mail in my junk folder?? Anyway to stop junk being reported??
...and I can pick and choose which subfolders to sync as well as set up rules for email notifications. I'm not saying that Touchdown will work with Hotmail but another mail client might support what y'all are looking for.

Why in the world would anyone still use hotmail when you have to have a gmail account to use our phones anyway? Gmail is superior in every POSSIBLE way to hotmail, and if it's your address you're worried about, a set of simple rules in gmail/hotmail would allow you to use gmail and still send/receive with your hotmail address. Then you could just use the gmail app as well. No offense to any of you guys, but I just can't fathom using hotmail when gmail is available to you. It'd be like choosing to run the iPhone OS on an Android phone.
No offense, but why would you even assume that everyone's needs/wants are the same as yours?

famac!

Reaction score
I noticed that it would not delete emails already received on the phone automatically when deleted from the server on the website. is there a way to get the actual inbox to sync every time. I would like to not pile up crap emails that I deleted from the the inbox on the computer.

If you have ActiveSync setup everything should delete on both the phone side and server side. Your mail should sync without a problem.

What you're describing sounds like a POP3 account. Check your incoming settings and make sure your account is set to ActiveSync Exchange and not POP3.

That's exactly what it would do with a Hotmail account before because of the limitations of POP3.

Its an Activesync account. Remember, Android is not officially supported yet. There are bugs with it. For now, you cant specify what folders to get notification from. For example, my inbox notifications are instant but i also get junk mail folder notification (not real time). Deletions from server also do not show up on the phone. I am sure they will fix these issues when they officially support us.

AustinChad

Reaction score
I was able to set up my hotmail account as an exchange account and can retrieve my messages just fine. However, when I delete or read a hotmail message on my phone, it's not reflected on the server. However, if I delete or read a message from hotmail.com, it is reflected correctly on my phone.

Anyone else having this problem?

jrac86

Reaction score
Cannot send

Is anyone able to send a message from the hotmail exchange account? My work exchange account can send, but not hotmail

EDIT: a reboot fixed it

TProfit

Reaction score
I have a rooted HTC Incredible (stock ROM) and I have done everything listed and I keep getting a failed message. I have only used the stock mail program to add the new exchange account though.

bmgelb

Reaction score
I was able to set up my hotmail account as an exchange account and can retrieve my messages just fine. However, when I delete or read a hotmail message on my phone, it's not reflected on the server. However, if I delete or read a message from hotmail.com, it is reflected correctly on my phone.

Chad,

I'm having the exact same issue. Essentially, even though it is set up as an ActiveSync account, it is behaving as a pop account from the phone side. Any actions on the server side seem to work correctly.

krun2

Reaction score

Chad,

I'm having the exact same issue. Essentially, even though it is set up as an ActiveSync account, it is behaving as a pop account from the phone side. Any actions on the server side seem to work correctly.

Same issue here (Droid X 2.2 OTA). Hopefully MS will submit an app or a android email patch.

Regards

Dragoro

Reaction score
Use corporate sync to set it up, not the email account set up.

Mail.hotmail.com is the server

Reaction score
Yesterday my working hotmail exchange account disappeared from my phone, I opened email and the account was simply gone. I have set it all up again today but now I am not getting any messages at all ? When I tried the non exchange approach it was working as well as it did prior to exchange. Droid 1

Very weird,

gacollege

Reaction score
Why in the world would anyone still use hotmail when you have to have a gmail account to use our phones anyway? Gmail is superior in every POSSIBLE way to hotmail, and if it's your address you're worried about, a set of simple rules in gmail/hotmail would allow you to use gmail and still send/receive with your hotmail address. Then you could just use the gmail app as well. No offense to any of you guys, but I just can't fathom using hotmail when gmail is available to you. It'd be like choosing to run the iPhone OS on an Android phone.

Hotmail has the sweep option.......... which is the best thing since slice bread.

ryan0240

Reaction score
i have hotmail working using EAS on my droid 1. However, is there any way to get HTML emails to show up?

Thanks

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
i have hotmail working using EAS on my droid 1. However, is there any way to get HTML emails to show up?

Thanks

Haven't found one yet, but haven't dug much. I'm not sure if that's a Hotmail limitation or if it's the native Android Email app's limitation.