Home Replacement Apps = Completely new phone experience.

Sweet Daddy

Reaction score
Once I learned how to create folders, I didn't see a need for extra screens.
Is it possible to create folders with apps in them? I wanted to create one (Games for example) with a certain selection of apps in it but I couldn't figure it out. Although I didn't give it much thought at the time.

Yes, creating folders (with apps inside) is a breeze. Just long press the home screen and choose "Folders". Once your new folder is created, open it up and long press the title bar to change the name. While it is still open you can drag apps into the folder just like it's the home screen. Hope this helps.

Christine

Reaction score
Is there a way to get rid of the slide-out tray and search? I like the idea of having more home screens, but I find these "features" unappealing.

denlem

Reaction score
Is there a way to get rid of the slide-out tray and search? I like the idea of having more home screens, but I find these "features" unappealing.

That was the first thing I got rid of...

Go into menu - more - open home settings

Uncheck enable application dock.

If you uncheck enable soft keyboard search it will get rid of the search icon on the left side of the screen.

I have both unchecked and it's much cleaner.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, creating folders (with apps inside) is a breeze. Just long press the home screen and choose "Folders". Once your new folder is created, open it up and long press the title bar to change the name. While it is still open you can drag apps into the folder just like it's the home screen. Hope this helps.
Nice, thanks! Now I remember why I decided not to use folders last time, I couldn't figure out how to rename them. However, since then I have learned the power of the long press. Just open the folder and long press on the title bar to rename :D No need for multiple screens now!

tlq

Reaction score
Is there an HTC style theme? I'm curious what theme everyone here are using. I tried out Pandahome, it's way still too incompatible, too many little hiccups.

I feel like this is a stupid question but, how do you guys move the icons to the other screens? I can't seem to figure out how to drag them over.

volando

Reaction score
Is there an HTC style theme? I'm curious what theme everyone here are using. I tried out Pandahome, it's way still too incompatible, too many little hiccups.

I feel like this is a stupid question but, how do you guys move the icons to the other screens? I can't seem to figure out how to drag them over.

unless this 'open home' theme messed things up, you move things to other screens just the same way as you do it regularly around the screen. Hold the icon, when it detaches, move it right up to the page boundary, the page then switches and you can plant it on the other side anywhere you want

tlq

Reaction score

unless this 'open home' theme messed things up, you move things to other screens just the same way as you do it regularly around the screen. Hold the icon, when it detaches, move it right up to the page boundary, the page then switches and you can plant it on the other side anywhere you want

haha wow yah now I feel stupid. I just had to hold it to the border of the screen for a few seconds longer. thanks!

romeov

Reaction score
How is the bugginess? I'm waiting for a 2.0 update before I get it, but maybe not if it's not force closing a lot on all of you guys

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
I love Open Home! However, I don't use any themes, and hide all add ons. So basically I use it for extra screens and enabling orientation change on the home screen. I recently added the tray to hold my speeddials which works well for me. Other than that it is stock android and runs fast with no FCs and all widgets work fine...

volando

Reaction score
woah woah enabling orientation change for the home screen? is that possible to do to the real home screen or is that only because this app is completely replacing the home screen?

i guess it's time to look into that SensorManager object and figure out how to apply it...

denlem

Reaction score
I've been running Open Home for almost 3 days now. I've had a couple of force closes, but nothing to cry about. Just restart and all was well. I added the flip clock and that has been fine too, except for today when the time never updated from last night. I think it went to sleep and had trouble waking up. The status bar time was correct though.

Mostly, it runs pretty quick for me. Yesterday it did run slow for a while. I have no idea why. Maybe too many things running at once? Dunno.

For 4 bucks, you can't go wrong.

PridgNYC

Reaction score
Nice, thanks! Now I remember why I decided not to use folders last time, I couldn't figure out how to rename them. However, since then I have learned the power of the long press. Just open the folder and long press on the title bar to rename :D No need for multiple screens now!

You can also just drag your application icons and drop them on the folder icon, they'll be added to the folder. The folder doesn't need to be open to do this. This makes it easier to clean up your home screens, so you don't have to open the folder, drag the apps from the app screen, then close the folder and drag the apps off your desktop to the trash. You can just drag the existing icons directly to the folder icon to remove them from the home screen and add them to the folder.

denlem

Reaction score
I use a program called Apps Organizer. It gives you a list of everything installed, and you can assign a label to each app.

From there you just long click the home screen, select shortcuts, then Apps Organizer. Now you'll get your list of labels. Select which label you want to put on the home screen, and thats it! When you select the shortcut you just put on your home screen, it behaves like a folder and opens up and has all the apps you assigned to it earlier. You can even assign an icon to it.

I like it much better than regualr folders. Best of all, it's free!

Apps Organizer v1.3.1 Application for Android | Tools

Hareball

Reaction score
I too create folders... but I'm still trying to figure out how to sort the folder contents. If i drag them in alphabetical order that's great...for the time being. But if I get a new app that's somewhere in the middle I have to remove all apps after where the new one should go in the list. Anyone know how to sort the contents?