High-Amp Charging safe?

AMTrombley0924

Reaction score
I am considering buying a Mophie poortable batter for my D4 in case I ever need more juice than I have while out and about (like spending a day at Disneyland where the service blows and drains battery). It says you can choose to charge you phone up with 0.5Amp, 1Amp, or even 2Amps of current in order to expedite charging. This made me wonder, is it SAFE to charge a smartphone battery with such high amperage? Will I damage the battery or shorten it's lifespan at all?

OP
AMTrombley0924

AMTrombley0924

Reaction score
Nobody knows? I figure this is a Li-ion tech question more than a smartphone one.

rjeatkrconley

Reaction score
FFFFOOOOXXXXXKKKKAAATTTTT!!!
He is the resident battery guru. I want to say that the charging circuitry should have a cap at 1A but I wouldn't risk it unless you deep discharge the battery and the factory charger will not "kick start" the charge. I wouldn't risk it ymmv.

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
with batteries... the higher amperage you charge them at... the more damaging it is to the plates... so 2 amps... on this small of a battery... not the best idea... as it'll drastically shorten the life of the battery... considerably... not to be redundant...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
FFFFOOOOXXXXXKKKKAAATTTTT!!!
He is the resident battery guru. I want to say that the charging circuitry should have a cap at 1A but I wouldn't risk it unless you deep discharge the battery and the factory charger will not "kick start" the charge. I wouldn't risk it ymmv.

with batteries... the higher amperage you charge them at... the more damaging it is to the plates... so 2 amps... on this small of a battery... not the best idea... as it'll drastically shorten the life of the battery... considerably... not to be redundant...

100% correct. However this phone has a smart charger for Lithium Ion batteries built in, and it has a current limiter which I believe clamps the current at a maximum 1A (1,000 mAh), so even if you plug into a 2A charger, it will still only allow 1A to be passed to the battery. That is still 33% more current than the recommended 750mAh, so it will contribute too a shortening of the battery's life.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2