Hi :)

SpacedCowboy

Reaction score
Hi all :)

Here's the deal... I've been developing an app for an embedded Linux / QT environment, and I wanted to explore what it would take to get it ported / working under Android, or perhaps even replacing Android and running on the underlying OS (I've been told that android is often implemented as a user-process sitting on the back-end linux OS running on the device).

I have some small ambition to sell the end-product (it's a very niche market), so it'd be nice if I could somehow boot up directly into the application, rather than the user having to click on anything to get to the app. I don't know if this is possible using Android, or whether I'd have to root the device and drive the frame buffer directly ? I don't mind still using embedded QT to build the app on.

I want a 7" screen, capacitive touch, wifi, 128MB ram, a 600MHz CPU. Anything else is gravy, and I don't like expensive gravy :) The current embedded solution is ~$200 including the 7" touchscreen, but it's resistive not capacitive so not as good... I was hoping someone could guide me towards the easiest way to get a tablet that could fit the above - which models are 'rootable' if that's required, etc. I'm assuming with 'root', I can do pretty much anything I want...

I don't know if this is even possible with current Android devices. I'm happy to get my hands dirty, just wanted some advice before diving in :)

Oh, some other small things - the display will need to be on constantly (24/7) and it will be powered. If I have to, I'm happy to rip apart the tablet and re-house, but anything that goes into 'sleep' mode after a few minutes won't really work...

Cheers
Simon

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
ALOHA welcome to the forum. have u looked into XDA Developers forum yet? sorry cant assist much right now...

OP
S

SpacedCowboy

Reaction score
ALOHA welcome to the forum. have u looked into XDA Developers forum yet? sorry cant assist much right now...

Ok, so after downloading/installing everything and a bit of judicious googling, I now have a bog-standard Android system booting directly into my first android app in full-screen as soon as power is switched on. That's pretty much perfect, and means I don't need to root anything. All I need to do now is find a decent, cost-effective tablet running anything from Android 2.1 onwards :)

Cool :)

Simon.