Hi, new guy with some questions.

JK360

Reaction score
Hello everyone, Im new to this site, new to android, new to vzw, but NOT new to modding/hacking. Ive been modding phones since back in the day with the old motorola v300's and phones like that. I switched my wife and I from Tmo - Vzw last week and got us both a pair of Droid X's. Ive been with Blackberry for the past 4 years and the lack of modding got old. Since the day Ive gotten my droid x ive been researching and messing around with it trying to basically make my phone as fast and simple as possible....

I have already rooted my phone and did a complete backup with Titanium. Ive read a lot about people either freezing the apps or renaming them instead of deleting them because of the problems with OTA updates. Now my question is can I "cut" the bloatware I dont want from my phone and save them into a foler on my pc using software like ADB or Titanium and then replace them when i need to do an update? Now im not going to go crazy removing stuff, but i just dont see the point in keeping NFS shift demo or madden 11 demo or amazon mp3..... crap like that. I dont plan on doing anything crazy just yet with different ROMs; I dont even know if its possible with eFuse or whatever it is.

Also what are good audio/video apps? Is it worth "overclocking" the phone? How do I make or install custom icons or themes? I know most of this has probably been mentioned before, but I couldnt find any exact answers. Thanks again for the help Ive gotten so far and hopefully soon ill have the whole android stuff under control. I know I have more questions, but I cant think of them right now.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
First make a complete backup of your phone with bootstrap. Here's my tutorial [HOW TO] Use Droid X Bootstrap

If you have TiBU, just freeze the apps, go into menu and select chuck Norris mode and they wont appear or run anymore. There's no need to fully delete them. TiBU just backs up apps and data. Bootstrap backsip everything.

For themes you can use ninjamorph and metamorph apps for Modding from the phone. Otherwise you can use Photoshop or gimp to create pngs or alter pngs and put them back on the phone. If you have knowledge of ADB, draw9patch, etc. Here's a good start [GUIDE] Want to learn how to theme? - xda-developers