noob with some questions :)

nikkicowface

Reaction score
so, just got my D2 about a week or so ago and i love it. but i do have a few issues that i would like solved if possible. like i said, im a noob and im not tech savy so you might have to talk to me like im 5 lol.

first off, the shutter tone for the camera. how the f do you turn it off? ive looked through just about every setting and cant figure it out. :huh:

second, the apps the phone came with (blockbuster, skype, kindle, ect..), the useless crap i dont need..is there a way to uninstall them? the app manager cant.

third, ive kinna read around and everyone says rooting your phone is good for the battery life, but how do i root it? is there an app or something?

my battery life isnt horrible, it lasts pretty much the whole day with some major gaming and browsing, i have wifi, bluetooth and data turned off unless i need it and ive force stopped all the apps i dont need. my brightness is all the way down and the screen off timer is at 30 seconds.

im pretty sure those are my only issues right now, i might post more later.

any feedback is appreciated :D

cananot

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! First this whole site has info and by far some of the best tech people I have come across. First you need to go to the thread that says roms there you will have step by step instructions to root tha Droid. Your gonna need a few programs which will cost you but the end result its sooo worth it .and everyone here will help you along the way. And you wont have all that bloat ware on your phone

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
One: Turn the volume all the way down.

Two: No, not without rooting (see answer three).

Three: Rooting is like gaining superuser access to a computer. It allows you to play around with the programming. I would suggest staying away from it until you've read as many articles as you can and know beforehand how to fix problems.

Good luck and have fun!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
N

nikkicowface

Reaction score
k, got it rooted, read pretty much every thread on here about rooting. thanks for the feedback. as far as the shutter tone, i did that..and its still on. its not a huge problem but it bugs me :p

JScharf92

Reaction score
The shutter tone is considered an alarm. When your alarm clock is set to ring in silent mode so will the shutter sound

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

cananot

Reaction score
Ok with root explore app go into system /media/ui folder and rename the shutter ogg file or delete it. Or can rom your phone with liberty 2.0.1 and it comes with a option to shut it off pretty sure they all do. Oh before I forget in the upper corner change the setting from rw to ro that gives you permission to delete the shutter sound

Last edited:

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
k, got it rooted, read pretty much every thread on here about rooting. thanks for the feedback. as far as the shutter tone, i did that..and its still on. its not a huge problem but it bugs me :p

Keep in mind you have a D2, NOT a D2G. The differences are rather trivial, but enough you have to take a bit of care. The info above about rooting was for the D2G. Thankfully rooting is the same or you could have possibly damaged your phone, so be careful!

As said above, roms have there own forums. I suggest you head over to them and read up. Flashing a rom is really super easy, but if done wrong can have major consequences. Most people who screw it up are usually guilty of not following instructions step by step. They look and say oh I can do this easy, forget the instructions. Flashing a rom is pretty universal process really, but just to be sure check the directions in the first(OP) of a rom thread before flashing it.

I would suggest Liberty or APEX roms. Squidlymango seems to be some what popular but i dont know that development is continuing. If it is not, dont expect bug fixes. APEX and Liberty both have beta version they are working on that are based on the Gingerbread(Android 2.3) version of Android. Gingerbread is the latest OS for the smartphone line.

Now last but not least, if you want a fix for the camera, liberty had this option. However, I use Audio Manager. Turn the system volume down and no more shutter sound. No hacking required.

OP
N

nikkicowface

Reaction score
thanks everyone, you guys were a huge help :D

And i do have D2G. just didnt add the G. :happy: