Here We Go Again.. ICS Release Date May Be Close!!

jmonroe0914

Reaction score
When I was on with tech support 2 days ago I was told November our devices were due for an update.

He didn't have winning lottery numbers to share, so how much can he really be trusted at the end of the day.

Asking tech support or customer service about upcoming releases (software or hardware) is basically the same as talking to a brick wall. They'll tell you the same opinions you already know. Even of they did know, they're prohibited from informing customers until the official public release.

To give you a very good example... I've been asking since Jan. when the XOOM is going to be updated to ICS and I've repeatedly been told late 2012. My most recent conversation was on June 3, when I was again informed late 2012. On June 4, XOOM was updated to ICS.

Whenever a VZW employee is asked, they're going to generally just give you the information off of Motorola's generic upgrade timeline list... and this happens to be more true with call center employees.

So here's the point... if you want accurate information about release dates, don't call VZW and ask an employee... spend a little time on Google and research it. Unlike employees for VZW, journalists and bloggers have better access to information and will inform you AS SOON as they receive new information. You can have whatever opinion you want about CNET, however they've proven they're amazing journalists who report factual information based upon facts and evidence. Considering CNET also said the XOOM was going to be updated on June 4, then I trust them when they say ICS will be pushed to the RAZR's today. This holds even more weight when you consider why ICS wasn't released in May, which was due to VZW's update servers having to be updated from ICS 4.0.3 to 4.0.4... and this has been confirmed from numerous sources. So by taking everything into account, you can make a fairly accurate inference.

But again, you're welcome to have whatever opinion you like.

jmonroe0914

Reaction score
Nothing in IA....I am going to bed....didn't really expect anything anyhow

lol they said June 12th, not the minute it became June 12th. Just as the RAZR was released on 11/11, you couldn't purchase it at midnight. You had to wait until 11:11am to physically purchase the phone. Seriously, where is the common sense and patience?

thebeeobee

Reaction score
Yeah, check here in the morning: </title> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" /> <meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en-us" /> <meta http-equiv="Content-Style-Type" content="text/css" /> <meta http-equiv="imagetoolbar" content="no" /> <li

EDIT: WOW, Verizonwireless header fail above. I'm going to leave that because it's hilarious. Also, I noticed that their their security breaks on many parts of their site...

The actual PUSH to your phone could take days, if it is announced.

jmonroe0914

Reaction score

if it is released today, no one has to wait for it to be "pushed" to the phone... simply go to Settings - About Phone - System Updates to manually update.

thebeeobee

Reaction score
if it is released today, no one has to wait for it to be "pushed" to the phone... simply go to Settings - About Phone - System Updates to manually update.

OIC, didn't the Nexus and and some Xoom owners have to do a "trick" to force it to update early?

For example:

Tip: How to Force the 4.0.4 Update for the Galaxy Nexus LTE – Droid Life

and

XOOM Android 4.0.4 Update Rolling Out to All, Trick to Force It Early – Droid Life

In the past with my OG Droid i know I didn't get updates the day that some others did. Has the process changed?

jmonroe0914

Reaction score
OIC, didn't the Nexus and and some Xoom owners have to do a "trick" to force it to update early?

For example:

Tip: How to Force the 4.0.4 Update for the Galaxy Nexus LTE – Droid Life

and

XOOM Android 4.0.4 Update Rolling Out to All, Trick to Force It Early – Droid Life

In the past with my OG Droid i know I didn't get updates the day that some others did. Has the process changed?

Were you waiting for your phone to automatically tell you you had a software update, or were you going to about phone and selecting software update? I know I had the same issue with my Droid X, however I could always download the update by doing it manually. Worse case scenario, if you for some extreme reason you can't manually update, you can always get the fastboot files once someone from xda developers has uploaded them and then flash your phone. I always download them regardless as soon as someone has posted them because if you brick your phone, or it gets stuck in a boot loop, then you simply reflash the fastboot files and within 15 min or so, your phone is as good as new.

tiputus

Reaction score
Try this.. I do this once a week my razr has always run smoothly and my battery life is on average around 16 hours( on medium use).. I installed fast reboot and 1 click cleaner from the market the process is as follows: hit the fast reboot icon then hit 1 click cleaner go into your task manager kill every app, refresh and make sure they're all killed then I go to applications in settings (running services) stop every app and also kill cached apps ... then power off the device leave it for about 15 minutes then soft reset it to turn it back on when it turns on and the lock screen appears let it sit for 1 minute to fully boot up ... works for me ;)

Which cleaning button/method I should use in 1 click cleaner? Quick clean?

_CROW

Reaction score
I just went to try and manually update and I got the message that "check for updates is not available right now"... Odd?

Normally it just says "your software is up to date "

Last edited:

memedic95

Reaction score
"your software is up to date "

Mine said "your software is up to date " just now when I checked it. I still haven't heard anything about a soak test yet either.:blink:

Reaction score
Looks like CNet was wrong. I was really excited for this too.

&pi; Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums &pi;

Parzec

Reaction score
I am pretty sure I will have upgraded to a new phone (eg. Samsung G3) with preinstalled ICS and vastly superior specs before Verizon/Motorola get their act together on this update. When/If it does come out will anyone care about an update to a nearly obsolete phone?

Sent from my DROID RAZR maxx from Droid Forums

JNewms

Reaction score
I just got my razr maxx yesterday. It's so much better than my d2 was. I can't wait for ics to push this over the edge. Once i'm updated I will be rooting and getting rid of the bloatware.

ndtaylor77

Reaction score
Parzec said:
I am pretty sure I will have upgraded to a new phone (eg. Samsung G3) with preinstalled ICS and vastly superior specs before Verizon/Motorola get their act together on this update. When/If it does come out will anyone care about an update to a nearly obsolete phone?

Sent from my DROID RAZR maxx from Droid Forums

Believe it or not, some people purchase a phone with the intentions of using it for the entirety of their contract. Just because a better phone comes out doesn't make the ones before obsolete.