Help with MyLocation

aben1088

Reaction score
Hello,

First time poster on here. For whatever reason, today MyLocation on my phone stopped working.

The GPS still works, especially when I go into maps or something like that. But the Weather Widget won't update, and when I go to Google it says MyLocation isn't available.

In the settings tab I already have MyLocation checked on. Please help!

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Check this setting:

Tap menu, tap settings, tap location & security, check Use GPS satellites.

Mike

OP
A

aben1088

Reaction score
Have done this. The GPS works fine on all applications where GPS is needed, but the phone is still not picking up MyLocation for Weather Widget, etc.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just so I'm clear what weather widget are you using? I'm rooted so my widgets and such are a little different. I use Beautiful Widgets and I manually entered my location.

Mike

OP
A

aben1088

Reaction score
This is the standard News and Weather widget that comes up when you put Widgets on the home screen.

The problem isn't with the widget, because when I manually enter the location, everything is fine. The issue comes in where I have it set to "My Location." For whatever reason it doesn't pick it up, and it had done so before.

Another example is when I visit Google's website. Usually, google picks up my location right away. Now it says "Location unavailable."

GPS works fine, but when I ask other applications to view My Location, it doesn't do it. Wondering if this is a problem with the phone or just something going on with Verizon right now.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Got it!

For what is worth, I had the same issue. The only way I could keep my location was entering it manually. The GPS wanted to display a town about 3 miles away.

Mike

OP
A

aben1088

Reaction score
Yea it's really strange. My GPS is working fine though, it's just the MyLocation feature that's not working right now.

For instance, the Weather widget uses MyLocation INSTEAD of GPS. When you open it up, the GPS icon doesn't come up on the top bar. Or, if I have GPS turned off, it still shows me a general location in the Google Maps function.

Now, I can't get any location on Google Maps or get the Weather Widget to know where I am. GPS is on, Location is set to find via GPS and WiFi, but I've still got nothing. Just started today.

billyk

Reaction score
Just got 2.1 today. News and Weather widget worked great when I was down in town. Now I am in the 'burbs and I get nothing for location. Google Maps and GPS are working perfectly.

OP
A

aben1088

Reaction score
Just got 2.1 today. News and Weather widget worked great when I was down in town. Now I am in the 'burbs and I get nothing for location. Google Maps and GPS are working perfectly.

Same thing for me, Billy. This never happened before the update. As I write this, now I can't even manually type in names of cities or zip codes for the News and Weather widget. It won't load anything....

billyk

Reaction score

Same thing for me, Billy. This never happened before the update. As I write this, now I can't even manually type in names of cities or zip codes for the News and Weather widget. It won't load anything....

Ditto back at you.

But, now it's working!
Weird. Didn't do anything!!

OP
A

aben1088

Reaction score

Ditto back at you.

But, now it's working!
Weird. Didn't do anything!!

The manual city and zip code entries are working again, but it still doesn't find anything when I put in "use my location." They still must be working out the kinks with the 2.1 update.

And Mike ... thank you for the links.

rgn2000

Reaction score
I have the same problem. Powering down is not fixing anything. As to the weather widget, it will work if I run causeworld or gowalla. GPS definitely works, but cannot get my location in google.