Help with installing 2.2 from 2.1 (ROOTED)

runrhino06

Reaction score
I am having problems getting 2.2 onto my Rooted DX 2.1. I have attempted two routes thus far.

First, I am using Bootstrapper for the recovery and ROM Manager Premium. I was rooted, used Bootstrapper, Flash Clockwork, did the ROM back up, wiped my data/cache and it attempted to install 2.2 that was downloaded from the ROM Manager. There was an error in the installation, and was brought back to 2.1 unrooted. I re-rooted my DX, restored my files and am back to square one.

I have also tried the download update.zip file. I have followed the following instructions...

FROM A ROOTED PHONE:

1. Run "adb shell"
  2. Run "mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/system /system"
  3. Run "mv /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su"
  4. Copy the update.zip (download below) to your sdcard
  5. Reboot into recovery (power down - hold volume down and home button and press the power button)
  6. Run update.zip
I copied, not extracted/unzipped the update.zip unto my SD card (Rooted phone). I then go into recovery mode and attempt to install the update.zip from the SD. I receive an error is will have to reboot...

Does anyone have any suggestions?!?!?! I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong....

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
How did you reroot? Did you restore your phone from a back up from Bootstrap?

OP
R

runrhino06

Reaction score
How did you reroot? Did you restore your phone from a back up from Bootstrap?

I used a program from www.alldroid.org (GUI DroidX Root Program - Windows Only - Droid X Rooting - AllDroid Public Board - GUI DroidX Root Program - Windows Only - Droid X Rooting - AllDroid Public Board - AllDroid.org > Home) to root my phone to begin with. It's been running great, as I've had it rooted for a month now. When I went to reroot, I used the same program, without problem then restored my phone, by Bootstrap, back to a few minutes before I did the 2.2 installation.

If anyone could help me with this issue, I would definitely appreciate it!!!!!

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Well sounds like you are doing everything right, only thing is maybe the adb commands didn't take right. I would say get root explorer from the market, I know it isn't free but its a great program. Its only 1 or 2 and then you can go verify that the su is in the xbin and not the bin folder. Where did you get that zip for the update? You sure its credible?

OP
R

runrhino06

Reaction score
Well sounds like you are doing everything right, only thing is maybe the adb commands didn't take right. I would say get root explorer from the market, I know it isn't free but its a great program. Its only 1 or 2 and then you can go verify that the su is in the xbin and not the bin folder. Where did you get that zip for the update? You sure its credible?

I did as you suggested. I bought RE and I can verify that the "su" is in the "xbin". The update came from the only site I could find it. The site address is (Download Android 2.2 for your Droid X | Hijinks Inc.)
Is there another address that has been verified to have a credible update.zip? I can tell you that the download was 67.6 MB, which might not say much.

In speaking of the ADB, if my memory serves correctly, there were no errors on either line, but I could have been wrong.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Size sounds right mine is 67.5, check your pm just to be sure try this one.

OP
R

runrhino06

Reaction score
Thanks man, I got your PM. After I copied the update.zip to my SD card, I went into recovery mode and clicked to apply the update.zip on the SD card... Here's what I got...

Verifying current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/BlurAlarmClock.apk", "23f6e0c4a8a377b539aab9e637c8fdca0153d211", "93a7cf3c86dec2c31ca510285cceac48e915ab8a")
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(status 7)
Installation aborted.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Did you rename that bluralarmclock or is it there?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Here is a fresh bluealarmclock copy this one in your system app file replace if needed.

OP
R

runrhino06

Reaction score
I downloaded your .zip for the .apk and took it, placed it in system/app section, ran it, and installed it. I didn't have an "bluralarmclock.apk" - only a ".odex" file. I did try the installation both with moving the .odex file out and with it in the system/app folder.

After that, I went to the recovery mode and I am having the exact same error.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
OK then your system isn't right if you are on 2.1 you should not have any ODEX files. Those come when you upgrade to 2.2, looks like you have some 2.2 stuff still in there. You could try deleting all the ODEX files and trying again but don't think it will be that easy. Sounding like you might have to sbf back to 2.1 and root and upgrade 2.2 again.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Did you delete something?
You can download all of the apks from /system/app here:
http://www.hawkeye411.com/droidx/systemapp.zip
!

There is the full zip of all the default apps. Maybe trying replacing all of them and deleting all odex files? I could be way off on that one someone please correct me if I am wrong. Do that and see if you can upgrade without having to sbf.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Course you did only get the error on the blurclock so that might not be needed. But something is keeping the update from seeing you are a fresh 2.1 with root that is why it is failing.

OP
R

runrhino06

Reaction score
I'm guessing a general wipe of data and cache will do the trick? After that, verify there are no 2.2 - .odex files in there, re-root and then try 2.2?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah if you want to boot into recovery and wipe cache and data and reboot and see. You shouldn't loose your root though, so just do that and see where the system is and if there are any odex files in there after.