Help with google voice

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Maybe I was mistaken, but I thought call recieved and made through google voice was free. My bill is showing every one. So what am I doing wrong, or was I dupped.

Mods I know this is an app question, but being I been telling every one that I know, I would like this cleared up.

DeadlyAP1

Reaction score
I have never been charged for any incoming calls. The again, I only take calls from domestic numbers. GV charges for international calling.

Are the ones you got billed for international?

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
nope all national, are you being charged for out going...

droiddadi

Reaction score
Calls made thru GV is not free. If you use VOIP solution using sipdroid and gizmodo then they are free since you will using your data plan.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Make and Receive Free Phone Calls with Google Voice and Android

How to: Install Google Voice on Android Based Phone and Make Free Calls | Thumb Press

I think free unlimited minutes also comes into play when you add the Google voice number to your friends and family list. Then GV forwards all calls to you (so you don't see who is calling??) and when you call out so your GV is displayed then they see you but your phone record might only shows calls to that number, not to those you actually call.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ok u can close now, or move it I figured. It has to be done through wifi but i figured another workaround if u wanna hear b4 u close

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
get the 900 plan and put you google voice number as 1 of the 5 free numbers. Incoming calls are already free through gv, outgoing is not because when you use gv, your phone calls a number to call a number.

cell<gv landline< phone number.

FastEddie

Reaction score
I like It

dancedroid I like it I have been useing for months work great but you need Google Voice # Google Talk, GVCallFree in the market place with theses your calls will not eat up your air time. Its been all good on mt HTC Incredible. But Saying bye bye Thurday for My DROID X (HTC DeadScreen from day 1) 37days ago.:icon_ banana:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Maybe I was mistaken, but I thought call recieved and made through google voice was free. My bill is showing every one. So what am I doing wrong, or was I dupped.
Depends on how you have it set up and we don't have details for your particular situation. With the default setup, nothing is free. Google has stated that GV isn't intended for free calls. It's basically a "side effect" if set up in certain ways.

I always recommend verifying your GV setup by checking your usage online.

Mods I know this is an app question, but being I been telling every one that I know, I would like this cleared up.
Actually, free calling with GV has little to do with the GV app itself. And most GV threads I've run across delve into these very issues.

I have never been charged for any incoming calls. The again, I only take calls from domestic numbers. GV charges for international calling.

Are the ones you got billed for international?
He means free as in "doesn't count against peak minutes".

Incoming calls are already free through gv
Only if you set GV caller ID to display your GV number for all inbound calls and your GV number is added to F&F. Personally, I can't stand this. I suppose you can use call presentation in lieu of caller ID but I prefer to just be able to look at the screen and see who is calling. Not to mention that inbound calls from anyone on your F&F list are still free (same for mobile-to-mobile) if you don't change GV's caller ID setting.

outgoing is not because when you use gv, your phone calls a number to call a number.
Options (assuming your GV number is already added to F&F):

1. Use an app that dials out via your GV number.
2. Modify the phone numbers for all your contacts to dial out via your GV number.
3. Manually dial out via your GV number.
4. Add the access number to F&F.

Last edited:

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Pretty close to what I thought you had to do, thanks for clearing it up. I too wouldn't want to have all incoming calls be unknown. Then again we killed the caller ID on the house line. I grew up without it. We don't get many sales calls. We don't use call forwarding, 3 way calling, etc. It seemed pointless to toss away one or two hundred bucks a year on something that really isn't that big of a deal. If you really don't like who is on the other end...just hang up:)