Help noob flash to a new ROM please?

Marcbmann

Reaction score
Hi, I currently have a rooted Droid X running froyo. I'd like to upgrade to install gingerbread and am incredibly confused. I've seen 3 separate threads made by p3droid with gingerbread ROMs, all of which I found through the XDA wiki. I also saw the gingerbread liberty ROM, which looked awesome. But, it said I have to have gingerbread already installed, so here are my questions:
1. Which gingerbread ROM should I be installing first(link please)?
2. Which boot strapper should I be using and where do I get it?
3. How do I keep the apps I've downloaded?
4. What happens when Gingerbread for the Droid X is released?
5. If I bootloop how do I use my stock recovery?

TL;DR Please hold my hand as I flash to a different ROM, I'd really appreciate it!

Antob125

Reaction score
Hi, I currently have a rooted Droid X running froyo. I'd like to upgrade to install gingerbread and am incredibly confused. I've seen 3 separate threads made by p3droid with gingerbread ROMs, all of which I found through the XDA wiki. I also saw the gingerbread liberty ROM, which looked awesome. But, it said I have to have gingerbread already installed, so here are my questions:
1. Which gingerbread ROM should I be installing first(link please)?
2. Which boot strapper should I be using and where do I get it?
3. How do I keep the apps I've downloaded?
4. What happens when Gingerbread for the Droid X is released?
5. If I bootloop how do I use my stock recovery?

TL;DR Please hold my hand as I flash to a different ROM, I'd really appreciate it!

Check out drewgaren.com it has guides and all the files you need.

1. First install 3 part 588 then install the current 595.
2. DX Bootstrapper from the market
3. Titanium Backup from market
4. If you want the OTA update you can't be rooted or running any roms. You have to be stock. If you like being rooting I suggest you stick to the leaked 595 until they root the OTA update. So if you want the OTA all you gotta do is indoor z4 since that'd all you've done so far.
5. If you bootloop you mist install rsdlite on you comp and download the sbf file and you the program to flask back to stock. Check the website I gave you he has guides for everything.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Dr. Carpenter

Reaction score
I would definately recommend liberty gb. I have tried a couple drew garen roms and liberty is way faster and smoother. Install the 3-part .588 gb from p3droid, then download liberty toolbox donate and dl and install the nightly.

Bootlooping doesn't necessarily mean you have to sbf, there are usually other ways to get back, just post on here and I or someone will help you out.

audioxtc85

Reaction score
I prefer Apex 2.0! It is just as fast as liberty GB 0.5 but with much better battery life!

Sent from my Gingerbread DROID X

Dr. Carpenter

Reaction score
I prefer Apex 2.0! It is just as fast as liberty GB 0.5 but with much better battery life!

Sent from my Gingerbread DROID X

Ya I'll probably try apex, I used it for a bit on froyo, but I always seem to come back to liberty :)

Antob125

Reaction score
Zapx from drewgaren is stupid fast and great on battery

audioxtc85

Reaction score
I think I will try zapx. No harm in trying, plus I change the rom I'm using once a week! Lol. But so far, apex is the best I have tried!

OP
M

Marcbmann

Reaction score
Thank you sooo much for all of your replies, I really appreciate the help! dancedroid