Help! my phone won't hang up! screen is black!

OP
L

luvtype

Reaction score
First, thanks everyone. You've all been amazingly responsive....much appreciated. What a great forum.

Second, the phone is back up and running. Got the glove off, the battery pulled, and it restarted just fine (takes a while though, no?)

BUT:

I don't have ATK or Weather Bug installed. I do have tons of other apps that I downloaded just for the heck of it, to try things out. I actually use only a few of them:

Astrid, Dolphin Browser, Evernote, 3banana notes, Contacts GroupU (it's there but i stopped using it, it's too lame, could this be causing a problem?), Newspapers, Note Everything, Tag ToDo

If anyone knows of any apps that are causing the Droid to crash, please put the names out there.

Many thanks again!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
your phone should hang up once the other person hangs up i thought.

ViciousCircle

Android Addict
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had this problem, and could easily replicate it when in bright light (there's another thread discussing this in the 'technical' forum. Finally took it back to verizon and could demonstrate the behavior in the store while standing under their ceiling lights. They replaced my droid with no questions asked. Under the battery my old one was from the 39/09 batch (may have been 38/09), new one is 41/09 and works like it should. Seriously, I'd take it to verizon and have them exchange it.

OP
L

luvtype

Reaction score
FWIW, a few thoughts following this phone "blackout":

1. I don't have ATK or Weather Bug installed

2. I don't have auto-dim on

3. my phone is from the 43/09 batch (in case this means anything)

So it seems (to me) that these things bandied about online as being related to this issue aren't necessarily so.

What does seem to matter a whole lot is this business of covering up that sensor. But, honestly, isn't it ludicrous? To talk on the phone (without using the speakerphone) one has to place the phone next to one's ear, helloooo.... And that entails covering up that sensor.... So why was it placed THERE?

In addition, I'm right-handed and tend to hold the phone next to my ear with my right hand. That means that BY NECESSITY I will be covering up that crucial area because the right side of the phone will always be on the inside, hence the most covered up part, of my ear area. What were these engineers thinking? There must be a more sensible way around this.

One solution would have been to have a END button always available on the bottom that could easily be accessed when calls don't end automatically, as they should.

ViciousCircle

Android Addict
Premium Member
Reaction score
The sensor placement makes good sense. It is supposed to sense when it is close to something (your face) & turn off the screen to prevent accidential key presses. The problem is that it often senses something is there when there isn't, and doesn't turn the screen on. But, my replacement droid works properly... my old one didn't.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
pull the battery....
Also, what does "pulling the battery" entail? How will this affect the Droid? Do I lose all my settings, do I have to reinstall everything?

You will not lose anything. It's basically like shutting your computer down completely then starting it back up.

Your device will be fine.

Even more than that, you may not even lose things that were running in the background at the time. My screen went black on Friday (not making a call) and had the same thing like yours. I pulled the battery and it was fine. I had been running Carrr Matey and Car Locator (apps that keep track of where your car is parked) and both were unaffected by the battery pull.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
do you use something else in its place or no need really?

thank you.
If I kill running apps I'll use the native application to shut down things. Otherwise I just let the device be.

What is the "native" app to shut things down?

thanks again.
go into settings/applications/manage applications/ hit menu key/filter/choose running

That will show you a list of apps running on the device. Touch whatever you want to shut down and choose force stop.

HAKmaster

Reaction score
How do I found out the batch number of my phone? Mine has been doing the same thing and I've been experiencing poor call quality. Thinking about exchanging...anyone know the number of the defective batch?

Ebfly21

Reaction score
Black Screen

My phone has been doing that too. And the power button or pulling the keyboard out doesn't do anything but bring up the black screen again. I had to pull out the batter and put it right back in. It's annoying. I've has my phone about 3 weeks and I've had to do that a handful of times. I really hope there is a fix for it.