Help! my phone won't hang up! screen is black!

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by luvtype, Dec 7, 2009.

1. luvtype

luvtype New Member

This is happening RIGHT NOW. I was on a long phone call, about 30 minutes, and when I was done and took the phone away from my face, the usual "phone" screen didn't come back. The screen remains black, I can't accress any apps, at this point I don't know if the phone hung up or not. Everything seem locked. When I click on power button on top, all it does (it seems) is turn the backlighting on and off (because the 4 buttons on the bottom toggle b/w visible and invisible).

Shucks! And I was really liking this phone... What do i do now to turn the darn thing off and get it back to normal?

Thanks in advance!
  2. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

pull the battery....

are you running ATK or WeatherBug?
  3. sillyrabbitt123

sillyrabbitt123 New Member

why ATK does this?

thanks
  4. cereal killer

Did it to mine....
  5. moosc

moosc Member

what does WB have to do with it?
  6. cereal killer

reports of the same thing also lag, reboots....

Keep in mind I'm not saying it causes problems in ALL devices but users have reported issues being resolved after uninstalling these 2 apps.

I for one can vouch for ATK. Suffered from what happened to the OP. Uninstalled it and have not had a problem since.
  7. sillyrabbitt123

do you use something else in its place or no need really?

thank you.
  8. luvtype

luvtype New Member

I may have them installed but I haven't run them. Would that make a difference?

And how do I "pull the battery?" At the Verizon store they fitted a body glove on the phone, I don't even know how to access the battery ((i know it's in the back but am not sure how to get the body glove off)

Also, what does "pulling the battery" entail? How will this affect the Droid? Do I lose all my settings, do I have to reinstall everything?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but i'm stumped and a bit disappointed. Don't want a phone that acts up in this way on what should be a basic troublefree function.

thanks!
  9. cereal killer

If I kill running apps I'll use the native application to shut down things. Otherwise I just let the device be.
  10. cereal killer

take off the Body Glove/open the battery compartment/remove the battery.

You will not lose anything. It's basically like shutting your computer down completely then starting it back up.

Your device will be fine.
  11. moosc

moosc Member

Oh ok I haven't run into any lag or such I'm runing WB Elite.
  12. Benjamin Crist

Benjamin Crist New Member

If your phone keeps doing this, you may have a defective unit. Do be aware there is a sensor in the upper right corner (by the led that blinks when you have email) that shouldn't be covered up. I personally had the same problem as you did, and I look on several forums and researched the problem. So I went to duplicate it and I couldn't. Now every time I want to hang up it works. I suspect I may have been covering the sensor or something.

Pulling the battery just means "take the battery out." You will have to remove that bodyglove case most likely (I don't have that case so I don't know). The back cover slides up and the door comes off. Next you'll see you can pull the battery out with a fingertip. You will not lose any data (with the small exception of maybe something you were typing before your phone call if you didn't save it first) nor will you need to reinstall anything. You just press the power button after you put the battery back in. (The power button is the button on the top right corner, the same one that shuts the screen off for putting it in your pocket.

Hope that helps!
  13. andrewdoane

andrewdoane New Member

This happens to me about once a week. I think it is the proximity sensor thinking I am still holding the phone to my face. It happens often enough to be annoying but not enough for me to ditch the phone.

When it happens I either pull the battery or just wait - sometimes it goes away after 20-30 seconds. If it takes longer just pull the battery.
  14. cereal killer

Andrew as an experiment turn off auto-dim for a week and see if it comes back.

When it happened to me I scoured the net for info like a maniac : ) and that was another option.

I think at this point anythings worth a try. Just a suggestion.....
  15. springer01

springer01 New Member

Mine has been doing this from day one, but it didn't have to be a long call. Finally took it back Saturday after reading some things here and elsewhere online....after being told to call tech line (which I did in the store) and finally speaking with a manager (who was standing right next to the guy I was originally talking to the whole time) I was able to exchange mine. I hate my verizon store I mean you talk about clueless, but my new phone hasn't done it yet.
  16. luvtype

luvtype New Member

First, thanks everyone. You've all been amazingly responsive....much appreciated. What a great forum.

Second, the phone is back up and running. Got the glove off, the battery pulled, and it restarted just fine (takes a while though, no?)

BUT:

I don't have ATK or Weather Bug installed. I do have tons of other apps that I downloaded just for the heck of it, to try things out. I actually use only a few of them:

Astrid, Dolphin Browser, Evernote, 3banana notes, Contacts GroupU (it's there but i stopped using it, it's too lame, could this be causing a problem?), Newspapers, Note Everything, Tag ToDo

If anyone knows of any apps that are causing the Droid to crash, please put the names out there.

Many thanks again!
  17. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

your phone should hang up once the other person hangs up i thought.
  18. sillyrabbitt123

What is the "native" app to shut things down?

thanks again.
  19. ViciousCircle

ViciousCircle Android Addict Premium Member

I had this problem, and could easily replicate it when in bright light (there's another thread discussing this in the 'technical' forum. Finally took it back to verizon and could demonstrate the behavior in the store while standing under their ceiling lights. They replaced my droid with no questions asked. Under the battery my old one was from the 39/09 batch (may have been 38/09), new one is 41/09 and works like it should. Seriously, I'd take it to verizon and have them exchange it.
  20. luvtype

luvtype New Member

FWIW, a few thoughts following this phone "blackout":

1. I don't have ATK or Weather Bug installed

2. I don't have auto-dim on

3. my phone is from the 43/09 batch (in case this means anything)

So it seems (to me) that these things bandied about online as being related to this issue aren't necessarily so.

What does seem to matter a whole lot is this business of covering up that sensor. But, honestly, isn't it ludicrous? To talk on the phone (without using the speakerphone) one has to place the phone next to one's ear, helloooo.... And that entails covering up that sensor.... So why was it placed THERE?

In addition, I'm right-handed and tend to hold the phone next to my ear with my right hand. That means that BY NECESSITY I will be covering up that crucial area because the right side of the phone will always be on the inside, hence the most covered up part, of my ear area. What were these engineers thinking? There must be a more sensible way around this.

One solution would have been to have a END button always available on the bottom that could easily be accessed when calls don't end automatically, as they should.
Search tags for this page

android phone won't hang up

android phone won't hang up
android won't hang up
android wont hang up
galaxy s4 wont hang up
my galaxy s3 won't let me hang up

my galaxy s3 wont let me hang up

my phone hang
my phone is hang

my phone wont let me hang up

why wont my phone let me hang up