Help, I'm a dummy and files got deleted and now my contacts force close

diversmitty

Reaction score
So I was bored the other night lying awake in bed and I was an idiot and instead of freezing files I deleted a few in Titanium Backup. I do know a few of those files were yahoo files and from everything that I read today is that they are essential to having the contacts app work (who would of guessed). So I did everything that was recomended and loaded the yahoo.apk and other yahoo files, set my permissions like directed, rebooted and still no luck.... I am starting to think I may have deleted some more files that were important to allow the contacts app to work properly. Unfortunately I do not remember all of the stuff I deleted but I know it was no more than 3-4 other files that I felt were unneccesary (off the top of my head I deleted anything that said yahoo, twitter, and facebook and who knows what else).

I had an idea but not sure if it will work or not.... Any tech guys out there please feel free to chime in.... My gf has the same Razr MAXX (we rooted our phones together same programs same roms same everything for most part)so I was thinking if I could compare the files she has to my files and if there was something that was missing on mine I could copy it to her SD card then put it on my pc and then side load it to my Razr Maxx... Will this work???

I also am wondering if I can simply use my Safestrap and do a system restore (I had backed up everything with safestrap right after I rooted). I have never really used Safestrap for anything other than when I backed up my stuff right after installing it. Will this actually restore my entire OS to include the files that I deleted?

Or is reflashing the stock ROM or another ROM my only chance to repair my Razr????

Sorry the post is so long and yes I am a newb that did a newbie mistake.... Thanks for the help!!!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I'm not rooted myself. I think though, you will need to find the latest sbf and use it to regain all of the files you deleted. Sorry I'm not more help

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Reflashing the rom or backup should work. I'd start with the backup, that's what they're for.

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus using Xparent ICS

OP
D

diversmitty

Reaction score
Well I tried 2 things actually and still haven't fixed the problem.... 1st thing I did was I got into Root Explorer on both my phone and my gf's phone and compared everything in the system- app tab and wrote down the files that my pone was missing then I sent them from her phone to my email then I put them on my SD card on my Razr then moved them to system- app and changed the permissions and the owner to root. After I reboot the system the CONTACTS WERE STILL NOT WORKING... So 2nd thing I tried was I went into my safestrap and tried to retore back to my freshly rooted stock ROM and after it was complete it looks like nothing had changed, all of my apps were there where they usually are and CONTACTS STILL NOT WORKING....

This may be a stupid question because I am still kinda new to rooting and messing around with a rooted phone but how do I.........reflash a stock Razr ROM on my phone and where can I actually find a stock ROM to do this? After I figure out how to reflash a new ROM on it will it then restore my phone to 100% new like from the factory? I have heard just doing a factory reset on the phone won't change what I did so I am concerned that this would be the same....

Thanks

fr8shaker77

Reaction score
Try wiping cache, if that don't work do a factory reset. One of those might get your contacts to sync back up.

fr8shaker77

Reaction score
There is a razr utility that can flash you back to stock, root, unroot and a few other things, if nothing else works.

OP
D

diversmitty

Reaction score
Linkedin authenticator
My MotoCast 1.0
Yahoo Calander Service 2.3.6
Yahoo Contacts 2.3.6
Yahoo Mail Authenticator

Those are the files that I deleted..... If this helps anyone to better help my situation...

I just noticed a strange thing here and I don't know why it is doing this to me... When I look in Root Explorer these files are in the correct place and have everything set correctly (permissions and the group) but if I try to explore the file it will only take me so far (on my gf's phone it will open into more tabs) also in Titanium backup these files are not listed on my phone at all (even though I can see them in Root Explorer (on my gf's phone they are all there). So I am guessing something strange is going on here it seems like it is a broken link or something. I copied the files from her phone and put them on mine is there some sort of settings that prevent it from being compatible with my phone? If I can somehow make these programs operate properly on my phone I think I will have the problem fixed.... Anyone have any ideas on this issue? U think I should post this question in a new thread?

Thanks for any help guys!!!

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I'm guessing it's the way they were copied/sent from phone to phone. I'm thinking you need to put those in a folder on her phone, zip them (with a file explorer), them move them. Once you have them, unzip them & try installing them the same way you did before. I would also delete the ones you just moved & start over. Hope this helps.

OP
D

diversmitty

Reaction score
I'm guessing it's the way they were copied/sent from phone to phone. I'm thinking you need to put those in a folder on her phone, zip them (with a file explorer), them move them. Once you have them, unzip them & try installing them the same way you did before. I would also delete the ones you just moved & start over. Hope this helps.

I just tried it this way and still not working. I also just noticed as I'm browsing around in root explorer I tried to open other files up like I described above and it will either crash and go to home screen or act like is about to open then Go back to the same screen I have a feeling my only was out of this mess is to wipe everything and start over by ref lashing a copy of a stock ROM. Does anyone have a step by step on how to do that along with a copy of the razr stock ROM? Thanks.

OP
D

diversmitty

Reaction score
I downloaded the razr utilities.... I've been working for past 3hrs pretty much nonstop on my razr and I'm not getting anywhere.... I've tried a few different methods to install the zip file on my phone with no luck at all... Here is what I've done, I went into safestrap and when I tried to install in I got an error code something like error or abort status 6 (whatever that means), I tried to install another ROM thinking that maybe this one was corrupted or something and I got the same error... I am really lost here, I soft bricked the phone at one point then realized I was able to recover it but even after a full factory reset my contacts still force close on me anytime I try to open them..... I am totally lost and I have no idea how to get the stock rom (or any other rom flashed on this phone)... Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong here? If someone has a link to a step by step to reflash the stock rom on here please help me out here..... What a real pain in the azz this is.... All because I couldn't leave well enough alone....

Thanks

fr8shaker77

Reaction score
Is your phone is charge only mode when connected to the computer, if not none of the scripts will work.

gretchenthomas

Reaction score
Whether you can recover texts from a broken Android phone or not,you can recover contacts on Android phone. However, it depends on the phone itself. You'd better not created new data on your phone after the message loss. Now, let's be optimistic.

To recover deleted contacts from Android, I'd like to recommend using Android Data Recovery.

Last edited: