Badly bricked my Razr! Please help!!!!

narrowpath

Reaction score
so i know my post count isn't high here but i'm no stranger to flashing and hacking my phone. been installing custom ROMs on android for years and even windows mobile before that.

that said i've royally messed up my Verizon CDMA Droid Razr (not maxx)

it's completely bricked. i was on ICS and upgraded to Jellybean. it wasn't a totally successful upgrade because after i flashed the jellybean CyanogenMod via safestrap i couldn't get back to safestrap to flash gapps. so i just booted the phone up fine however i couldnt' get anything loaded because i couldn't get to safestrap or even install a file manager to upload safestrap.apk and load it that way.

right now the state of my phone is bad.....i can get to fastboot and i can get to the locked recovery but not to safestrap and obviously not to any sort of rom. i've tried to use matts razr utility 1.5 and 1.6 to restore to gingerbread (get 3 or 4 errors during the process), tried to use the ics installer tool to install ICS again (get 3 or 4 errors in the process), and i've tried to RSD and it doesn't get past step 6?

now my battery is low so i can't give it anymore tries. i can fix the low battery issue....but in the meantime i'm reaching out to see if anyone can help.

i can get to the locked recovery...maybe i could use a signed zip file to flash? if that would work where would i find the zip to flash?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
First off, it is impossible to go back to Gingerbread after upgrading to ICS (OTA or fastboot). The Kernels are different. Attempting to backtrack to Gingerbread WILL brick the phone. I will have to do research to see how we can recover but at this point the problems are multiple...Jellybean Cyanogen over ICS fail, then Fastboot to Gingerbread fail, then ICS over failed CY Jellybean and failed Gingerbread, failed safestrap, failed RSD, and not the least of which is now a low battery.

Without getting you either to a safe boot or to getting safestrap removed, I don't know what can be done.

What we do need to do is to get that battery charged again. Do you have a Factory Programming cable? If not, are you handy with a knife and soldering iron? If so, see http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-support/208067-q-bricked-my-phone-help-please.html#post2103668

And watch the following video...

[video=youtube;qs2t-7ALT7U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs2t-7ALT7U&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Also see this thread http://www.droidforums.net/forum/sm...-style-programming-cable-droid-razr-help.html

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Is there any reason he couldn't just fastboot to stock ICS with the 1.8 utility once he gets the battery charged?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/216562-droid-razr-utility-1-8-a.html

Well, normally no, but he's got Safestrap on there and I don't know how fastbooting to .211 will work with Safestrap still installed. This is the MAIN reason why I am not a fan of Safestrap. I know there are those out there who swear by it, but if it screws up, it's pretty bad.

Guidot is supposed to be very well versed with Safestrap so I'll see if I can summon his help too.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok.

I know next to nothing about the RAZR, however, if you are getting "stock" recovery (I'm assuming thats what you mean when you say "locked") then SafeStrap is gone.

The only way out is fastboot AFAIK. I don't think the ICS and JB kernels are different for ROMs, but they may be for stock. I'll see if I can summon an expert on that situation.

Sent from my SCH-i515, in between data drops.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So you need to be a bit more informational about how you "upgraded." You say you were on ICS, then went to JB. This is all while you were rooted and in safe mode in safestrap? Or were you stock, upgraded, then rooted and installed safestrap?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thanks for the assistance Guidot, no the kernels for ics and jelly bean are actually the same. The kernel for Gingerbread is different and there is no known way to go back to Gingerbread. So he will have to fastboot to the most recent ICS whether its to .211 or the more recent .215 which is preferred.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

leftspin

Reaction score
Well, normally no, but he's got Safestrap on there and I don't know how fastbooting to .211 will work with Safestrap still installed. This is the MAIN reason why I am not a fan of Safestrap. I know there are those out there who swear by it, but if it screws up, it's pretty bad.

Guidot is supposed to be very well versed with Safestrap so I'll see if I can summon his help too.

I've been fastbooting with SafeStrap installed since I got this phone, should I not have been doing that? I fastbooted to .211 with SafeStrap installed yesterday actually. I think he would be okay to flash the fastboot as long as his battery is charged enough

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can fastboot just certain parts of the phone too, without touching recovery. In this case we just need to get it to stock ICS as I'm sure he would just like a working phone.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I've been fastbooting with SafeStrap installed since I got this phone, should I not have been doing that? I fastbooted to .211 with SafeStrap installed yesterday actually. I think he would be okay to flash the fastboot as long as his battery is charged enough

No, I don't believe that is an issue. Safestrap was designed to allow flashing of ROMs into a second boot section, theoretically not too much different than dual-boot with a Windows PC, but essentially allows you to flash into the Safe system (2nd system) side, and keeps the non-safe system (1st system) side protected. So if I understand correctly it won't even let you flash a ROM into the 1st system side.

That's not the issue with the OP, because it seems he's had a corruption or failure of Safestrap altogether.

mattlgroff

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Run 1.81 from DroidRzr.com option 1. Assuing your battery is NOT low in AP Fast boot you will be fine.

If you are low you need a factory-style cable to run the utility.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Last edited:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I came across this a while back when searching for another member with low battery problem. I am not sure if anyone has already seen it, but thought it might be good info to have for future reference. Credit goes to Veloicty over at xdaforums.

"Hey guys, I recently found an alternative way to fix the low battery problem when your in AP Fastboot and able to get it to charge without the soldering of usb cable or the factory cable. So for those who do not want to open up their razrs or pay 40 bucks for a cable use my method.
-Make sure you have the charging cable connected to the phone and the cable to an outlet not an computer.
-While in the ap fastboot screen with the low battery problem, just push & hold Vol - and Vol+ and power buttons at the same time for 10 seconds
-Then IMMEDIATELY press and hold Vol - and Vol+ for 10 seconds to get back to the boot menu.
-Then once in the boot menu go down the the one option that has the word tools on it which is the last one.
-If it does not do anything just press volume up or down and go back to the tools and click power (enter) again.
-Then you should be boot to the M logo.
-Then after a bit you will be presented to an battery icon charging your phone!
-After a good charge up to 50% or so download the program called

Droid RAZR Utility:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1486718

-Download that program and make sure your phone is back in AP fastboot and your battery should say OK meaning you can now program again.
-From there run the Droid RAZR Utility you just download it and choose option 1 and let it do its thing.
-Once done you should have the original stock rom and if you had root you must re-root it.
-Please message back for any questions! I am happy to help because I know how frustrating this is!"

OP
N

narrowpath

Reaction score
hey everybody thank you for all the replies. you guys are awesome!

i forgot that i can't use matt's 1.5 or 1.6 tools because i can't go back to gingerbread when i'm on ICS.

i used matt's 1.8 tool and got no errors at all and everything works fine again!

as far as the battery being low that's an easy fix....just boot into fastboot and go to tools and your able to charge. if that doesn't work you could always do what i did a while ago when i bricked my phone and the tools wouldn't work.... splice a charge cable and open up your phone and connect it to the positive and negative of the phone to charge manually.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Glad you got up and running again!