*** HELP i jacked up my OG droid***

2385amh

Reaction score
okay, so I just tried to re root since FRG 22 D and I was trying to install frg 01B and then root that. I opened RSD lite and connected my phone, all was going well I selected the SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf and pressed start. It loaded for a while and the once it was done my phone is garbage. I have no Battery and it keeps restarting every 20 seconds or so. I restarted loaded a nandroid restore, didn't change anything. I did a factory wipe, didn't change anything. I have looked around on forums all over the place and I cant seem to fix it. Please help. The phone restarts so fast I cant even really mess with it that much. I'm afraid its jacked up bad now and im screwed. But im a rooting Noob so im hoping im wrong :)

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I believe that's an Eclair .sbf but I could be wrong. Why would you downgrade before rooting?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

OP

2385amh

Reaction score
I was under the impression that the FRG 22D has rooting issues and a friend told me if i downgrade I can root and install cyanogen and be good

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
There might be a link in my signature to help you with that.

Or there might be another method that doesn't require a PC at all.

But I'd go with the first option, personally. And Droid Does!! is right (something you won't hear someone on this forum say very often about a Verizon Rep), the file you tried to flash is the wrong one. You put a 2.1 kernel on your 2.2 phone. It's not going to work really well. Can you get into recovery now?

OP

2385amh

Reaction score
Yea i can get into system recovery, and it doesn't restart.

..."but at that point you are majorly risking the flash failing and/or a boot loop. Since you probably don't want that, please charge your phone for at least half an hour before continuing."

Maybe its a boot loop?? sounds like whats happening

possible fixes

Last edited:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Okay. You can either install a new kernel and boot normally or you can install CM6, CM6.1RC4, or a CM nightly (my recommendation) and the app pack from here. Choice is yours.

OP

2385amh

Reaction score
Okay. You can either install a new kernel and boot normally or you can install CM6, CM6.1RC4, or a CM nightly (my recommendation) and the app pack from here. Choice is yours.

Okay so, Im kinda concerned that im going to F it up. after I download the file, I should use RSD lite to install it??

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Put RSD Lite out of your mind. You've moved past it and hopefully will never need to see it again. :D

All installs will be made from SPRecovery.

What I'd recommend is you do is install a kernel and take some time off. :) Consider getting a functional phone with no loss of data a win at the moment. Can always pick up after a good night's sleep, no? Of course, I'm more than willing to help with the other methods if you want to pursue them tonight.

Choice is yours.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
It helps that I'm a ROOTED rep! ;)

There might be a link in my signature to help you with that.

Or there might be another method that doesn't require a PC at all.

But I'd go with the first option, personally. And Droid Does!! is right (something you won't hear someone on this forum say very often about a Verizon Rep), the file you tried to flash is the wrong one. You put a 2.1 kernel on your 2.2 phone. It's not going to work really well. Can you get into recovery now?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

OP

2385amh

Reaction score
So im not sure how I will be able to install a kernel. Sorry for my noobishness but the last two times I rooted I didnt really explore custom roms or kernals or anything. I would greatly appreciate anything that I can do just to get my phone functioning properly. Honestly at this point I dont care what version of android or Rom is on the phone as long as it is stable.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Okay. Download this file. Name it update.zip -- and make sure it's not update.zip.zip -- by renaming it update and seeing if you get a warning in Windows about changing the file extension. If you do, name it update.zip, but if you don't, leave it as update. Place it on the root of your SD card (more on that in a second), then allow update.zip installation and then install update.zip (deprecated).

With the phone connected to your PC, from recovery, move to mount options using the D-pad, remembering everything is in portrait mode. Click the middle of the d-pad and then select "Enable USB Mass Storage". It will allow you to transfer files to/from your Droid. Copy the .zip to the root of your SD card and then disable the mass storage. Hit the delete key or the power button on your Droid, move down to Install, then allow/install the .zip. Once it finishes you'll want to hit the del key or the power button again, highlight reboot phone, and then reboot. It should boot into the OS normally at this point.

http://www.p3designs.info/kernels/250-800-v32kernel.zip

OP

2385amh

Reaction score
My phone isnt current recognizing the SD card and I dont think that I can get into the market to download a file explorer to try and put the kernal on the sd card.