Help! Any Way to say "not now" to Froyo upgrade?

sublro

Reaction score
I'm reading all the nightmare scenarios, and so far am just hitting "install later" when the update screen comes up. I don't want my Incredible screwed up for a few useless (to me) features. I'll upgrade to Froyo eventually, but how do I postpone it until they put out a couple rounds of bugs fixes?

And if i just keep saying "install later" will it eventually install automatically without me actually clicking "install now"?

any help greatly appreciated.

spliffany123

Reaction score
I'm also curious about this, and I agree with sublro about updating later to get some bugs worked out. anyone have an answer?

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
if the OTA update is anything like the update for the Droid 1, you will continually be prompted to do the update and the constant requests will kill your battery. From what I know there is no way around the OTA it is mandatory from Verizon (and for the record the update sucks, you will be getting 11 new apps). Daughter got hers yesterday and is totally unhappy with it.

OP
S

sublro

Reaction score
update

I just kept hitting "install later" and the prompt has not come back now for the last 12 hours. I was told by Verizon store guy ( i know i know) that you can postpone as long as you want. he showed me where to go find a waiting update when/if I want to proceed (waiting a couple weeks)

settings-->about phone-->system updates takes you to it.

Koriix

Reaction score
Hi,

I am having the same, but opposite issue. I got my update a few days after a Verizon associate told me I would be getting one. The only reason the Verizon associate told me was because my phone was automatically resetting itself over and over for about 45mins. He checked my phone out and said he couldn't find anything wrong with it (typical). Later that night I went through the apps trying to find an Anti-Virus or some clean up programs that might detect something in my software. I downloaded the free app "AntiVirus" and it found a few problems with my phone. Well out of curiosity I went to check the status of my "System Update" and noticed that the new 2.2 Froyo update was downloading, but it looked as if it was frozen. I put my phone aside and let it download the file while I slept, the download didn't finish until after 10a.m. the next morning. When it gave me an option to "Install Now" or "Install Later" I kept hitting on "Install Now" and nothing would happen. So finally, I just hit "Install Later" only problem is it has been a few days now and I have not been given the option to re install 2.2

I just deleted the AntiVirus app out of curiosity on whether or not it was suppressing the update. I've been in contact with Verizon over the past few days, and they keep assuring me that I will get the update and have given me troubleshooting methods to make sure that when I get the update again, my phone will take it.

My phones software still reads 2.1, but says, 2.1-update1, every time I check for updates my phone tells me that my software is current.

Anyone else having this problem, or any advice???

Last edited:
OP
S

sublro

Reaction score
much as I sympathize with your issue, it is very different from mine and your goal is different. would you mind starting a brand new topic wiith it and let's keep this thread about the issue that I started? thanks. by the way, I have no idea what to recommend...

by the way, I've found that when I shut down the phone the install prompts wake back up (they went away for a full day before I shut down and restarted my phone overnite.) but it seems to work fine to just keep delaying the install by clicking install later...