1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

hello - technophobe having trouble tethering

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by andy2009, Jul 9, 2011.

1. andy2009

andy2009 New Member

Hello everyone,

I'm the proud owner of a new Samsung Galaxy S2. I'm not brilliant with technology so Ithink I'll be on here a lot and hope people can help out.

I've got a laptop running Windows XP and I'm trying to use my new phone as a wifi hotspot. I've installed drivers for the phone (Samsung USB driver for mobile phones) and have installed Kies.

I've read that I need to install tetherxp.inf file. I've downloaded it but I can't seem to get any futher. When I plug my phone in now it doesn't come up with the "found new hardware" like i did the first time (because I've already installed the USB driver?).

My laptop does find the S2 wireless however. If I set the setting to "open" then I can launch Google chrome on the laptop but it won't connect to the internet.

The settings for the S2 have either "open" or "WPA2 PSK". When I try changing the settings on the laptop for the wireless connection, I can get WPA but now WPA2 - does that make any difference?

Sorry for rambling on, but I don't want to keep the phone unless I can tether and I've only got 6 days before I can return it.

Thanks for any help
  2. brad92

brad92 New Member

Welcome. I didn't realize the SG2 was out yet...

Are you using the built in mobile hotspot?

sent from my ApeX
  3. andy2009

andy2009 New Member

It is in the UK!

I am trying to use the mobile wifi so that I can use tethering. Also, my laptop does connect to the phone, but i can't seem to use USB tethering either.
Search tags for this page
galaxy s2 wont tether to laptop
samsung galaxy ace thetering wifi hot spot driver install fo
tether samsung s2 to laptop xp
tetherxp.inf galaxy s4

tetherxp.inf samsung galaxy s2

tetherxp.inf samsung s2
usb tether to xp galaxy
usb tethering android windows xp
use my samsung galaxy s2 as a wifi hotspot windows xp