Hello Everyone!

Sayid

Reaction score
Hello there everyone! My name is Sayid, and I recently purchased the Droid from Wirefly (I'm expecting it on March 2nd).
A bit about myself...

• I live with my mother and 3 sisters (It's not always fun being the only guy in a house full of estrogen! haha).
  • I am a junior in high school and I take 4 AP courses (ugh): Statistics, Chemistry, US History & Gov't, English Language and Composition.
  • I am currently employed at McDonald's as a cashier. I plan to pay for the bill from Verizon with this job.
My plans for my phone:

• I am only paying for 450 minutes + Unlimited data every month ($69.98), so I plan to use Google Voice for texting.
  • I am going on a trip to Washington, D.C. from March 10-13 (I paid for it myself :)), during which I plan to thoroughly test out my new phone.
  • As far as rooting goes...I'd love to do it so that I may tether my Droid with my laptop, but I'm scared to death of bricking my phone.
I'm so excited about getting the :motdroidhoriz: (haha, gotta love these smileys).
Please feel free to tell me a bit about yourself and maybe post some links to threads I might be interested in! Thanks!

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi Sayid, and :welcome: to the Droid Forums. You seem to be a well balanced young man. Seem to have your priorities in order.

As far as thread recommendations go, they are all good except the ones I start so just stay away from those and you'll be fine.:icon_ banana: j/k

I have the exact same plan you have and I too use Google Voice for texting. I don't text that much at this time of the year but when baseball season rolls around my brother and I get into it a bit and that 250 limit can get approachable.

Again, welcome to the forum and have fun.

OP
Sayid

Sayid

Reaction score
Thank you hook! :) I really am excited! It feels great to be paying for the bill by myself! It gives me a sense of accomplishment! I'm probably going to be on here for hours looking at threads!

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Welcome aboard Sayid.....

I hope you enjoy your stay here and please make yourself at home.

Enjoy

superglen99

Reaction score
Welcome fellow Droider! I too was scared of bricking my phone but Friday I took the plunge and Saturday I talked my scared friend into it over the phone. We both used DMupdater v1.0. It can be found over at droidmod.org. You can go there on your phone and download the file (make sure it's the .apk file and not .tgz or .rom). then head over to droid-life.com on your PC where they have a thorough 3 part video walk through of rooting and unrooting your Droid. Watch the videos until you feel comfortable and go for it!! It took 10 minutes to root and over-clock and was super easy. There is tons of info here in this forum about rooting if you have questions or want advice. Enjoy!

OP
Sayid

Sayid

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Wow...I'm really loving the community here! Everyone is so friendly and helpful!
I just watched the videos on Youtube, superglen99...and I think I might just have to root my Droid now! lol