Helix 2 now working on CM5.0.6.2

DroidxRage

Reaction score
I found Helix 2 used waaayyyyy too much memory for me. It allocates about 70+MB of memory, and I usually find it using about 60mb average whenever I check it.

For reference, Helix allocates 47MB, and I find it using about 30MB average.

Overall responsiveness is night and day with H1 vs H2 IMO. I've never came around to the Launcher2 thing, it just doesn't seem to like our Droids unfortunately...

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've hated every Launcher2 variation I've ever tried until this one. It actually runs great on my phone and is very responsive. Faster than any home replacement or launcher2 ever was. It probably is a bit slower than H1 but I honestly don't notice it. The app drawer is so smooth on this one (compared to other L2 variations) that its worth a tiny tiny tiny drop in speed from H1 (to me).

DroidxRage

Reaction score
It wasn't necessarily the app drawer lagging for me, it was the entire iteration.

I constantly found it at 60+MB memory in use (Memory Manager Plus, best mem manager ever), and it brought the system to a grinding halt. Phone was basically unresponsive until I killed off H2.

Glad to see it working for some though, I did like the glass tray and the ability to hide the icon titles... I hope that stuff moves over to H1, as it's just less memory intensive/smoother.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
And you're running your phone at 1.2ghz and killing apps!? I am running at 1ghz and after like 50% battery it drops to 800. Even with these speeds and being VERY lazy at killing my apps, it doesn't come anywhere CLOSE to the grinding halt you described.

Maybe its your low voltage kernel? I tried LV and it ran nice and cool but would cause dumb stuff to happen. Switched to standard voltage and all is well :D

Glock

Reaction score
I love the off centered Helix 2...I won't update my Helix for that very reason. I think it's much better placed off to the side.

I've had this on my Droid for a while though...definitely nice to get away from the lame stock looking launchers...