headphone jack and in call volume

purplehorseshoe

Reaction score
Darn it, just ruined my day. Listening to Pandora with headphones plugged into razr. Get a call, answer it. The audio coming through the headphones hit me hard, it was loud. Seems odd that the there would be such a difference in volumes, you'd think there's be some kind of volume balancer built in. Looked at smart actions no option to adjust in call volume. Any ideas or will I just have to do it manually every time ?

I have a few hobbies that expose me to loud noises. I've always gone the extra mile to take care of my hearing, you can't grow back hearing. SoI get bummed out when I feel like I've exposed my ears to something that could've damaged my hearing

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Wow, as a musician I can appreciate your position here. Unfortunately i can think of only one annoying way.

As you're ending a call, turn the volume down before you hang up. I know that's like the worst band aid ever!!! Like a hello kitty band aid on a cut lol.

Possible adjust your invalid volume by going to settings, sound, and look in there.

You may also be able to adjust your wired speaker audio effects to boost your audio when your streaming your music... so the change wouldn't be so drastic.. this is probably your best option :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
Tasked has quite a bit more power than smart actions. I'm on the fence if I really need anything more than smart actions so I'm not really familiar with everything tasked can & can't, but you should take a look at or maybe some who uses it will chime in say if can do what need.

My dad bought himself some new hearing(well hearing aids), he can't seem to hear anything very well though. Ironically his hearing aids worked too well when i brought him to the winter nationals this season & when got close to the grandstands some of the top fuel cars started doing runs. He ripped them out of his real quick. Lucky we weren't up in the stands where it's even loader.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Would the moderator at smart actions be able to help with the settings to set up a trigger: headphones plugged= Media volume up+ In call volume down? Is that possible with smart actions?

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

xmguy

Reaction score
Wow, as a musician I can appreciate your position here. Unfortunately i can think of only one annoying way.

As you're ending a call, turn the volume down before you hang up. I know that's like the worst band aid ever!!! Like a hello kitty band aid on a cut lol.

Possible adjust your invalid volume by going to settings, sound, and look in there.

You may also be able to adjust your wired speaker audio effects to boost your audio when your streaming your music... so the change wouldn't be so drastic.. this is probably your best option :)

I am a musician as well. Like the OP said and yourself referenced. We all (probably) play electric guitar so that in itself is loud. I agree, I have my phone media set to max as it's not very loud only to have the call volume less or greater than that. Makes it a pain for taking calls as you said. I wouldn't doubt there is an app out there to "link" the in-call and media volume together. I use volume managers myself to "pre-adjust" the call volume upfront. Same for ringer and text/gmail alerts. What makes the call volume such a issue for me isn't the volume as much as the way the audio is encoded and decoded by the phone and Verizon. It compresses it so much that it sounds almost shrill. (using another musician reference) as a person who has trained himself to detect subtle changes in pitch for vocals and guitar then the loud and tinny voice on the phone has always got me. Maybe there is an app as I said... Also what's a pain to me is if I'm using Skype or a phone call the mic is locked to that app or task so my guitar tuners (DaTuner and gStrings) can't use the mic. That's a different thread however. Nice android-guitar logo by the way 94/ :)

OP
P

purplehorseshoe

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas everyone. Turns out it's my own fault. I've been using the speakerphone for calls. Using speakerphone in call volume needs to be near max. But pressed to my ear or using the headphones in call volume only needs to be at the lowest volume.

dhinged

Reaction score
My call volume is at the lowest and it's still too loud on earbuds. I can find no solution to this. I don't want to disable speaker and I'm not sure what that has to do with this anyways.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I am a musician as well. Like the OP said and yourself referenced. We all (probably) play electric guitar so that in itself is loud. I agree, I have my phone media set to max as it's not very loud only to have the call volume less or greater than that. Makes it a pain for taking calls as you said. I wouldn't doubt there is an app out there to "link" the in-call and media volume together. I use volume managers myself to "pre-adjust" the call volume upfront. Same for ringer and text/gmail alerts. What makes the call volume such a issue for me isn't the volume as much as the way the audio is encoded and decoded by the phone and Verizon. It compresses it so much that it sounds almost shrill. (using another musician reference) as a person who has trained himself to detect subtle changes in pitch for vocals and guitar then the loud and tinny voice on the phone has always got me. Maybe there is an app as I said... Also what's a pain to me is if I'm using Skype or a phone call the mic is locked to that app or task so my guitar tuners (DaTuner and gStrings) can't use the mic. That's a different thread however. Nice android-guitar logo by the way 94/ :)

We're gonna have to get together and trade licks.. speaking of this.. I use power amp a lot for learning other peoples material... and they did an update today and now all of the music I hear through it sounds degraded 2-3 generations ... it's terrible.

As for the droid... I wish he was playing a tele..

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
My call volume is at the lowest and it's still too loud on earbuds. I can find no solution to this. I don't want to disable speaker and I'm not sure what that has to do with this anyways.

Well perhaps its because your wired speaker, and phone speaker volumes are different settings.

Make a call with the ear buds plugged in and during the call, lower the volume.. that should fix the issue.

dhinged

Reaction score
Well perhaps its because your wired speaker, and phone speaker volumes are different settings.

Make a call with the ear buds plugged in and during the call, lower the volume.. that should fix the issue.

There's not different volume settings for speaker and headphone during a call. They use the same setting as the ear speaker at the top of the phone too. The speaker and ear speaker sound fine at middle volume, but the headphone is super loud even at the lowest setting. Something is wrong with the way Motorola's programmed this phone; I don't find the same problem with the Galaxy Nexus or the iPhone.

Last edited:

Bauer

Reaction score
Any solution yet ?

Has anyone found a solution ? I'm having the same problem.

Wired ear buds are TOO loud when calling (even at lowest volume).

I can be listening to music at low volume and a call comes in, and WHAM !

Could this be a design flaw that Motorola is ignoring because they have newer models out now ?

dhinged

Reaction score
I think the only solution is to root your phone and fix it on whatever ROM you use. I think Motorola either doesn't use their phones or don't hear well.

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Download power toggles from the play store. The volume slider toggle allows you to configure the headphone jack volume separately. Good app. Negligible battery usage.