HDMI output not working on S5

chf868

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S5
I have used my phone many times to watch Netflix on my TV through a hdmi adapter, but now it's not working. It's not the adapter, cable or tv because it still works just fine on my husbands. I'm assuming my son changed something in my settings while playing on my phone, but can't figure out what it is. Anyone have any ideas?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Welcome to the Forum.

Try these steps and let us know if it resolves your issue..

Step 1: Connect one end of the HDMI cable to the HDMI port at the back (or side) of your HDTV and the other end to the HDMI port on the adapter.

Step 2: Hold the charger and plug the microUSB to the port on the adapter and plug the charger to the electricity source. This will power the adapter up.

Step 3: Now, plug the microUSB connector from the adapter to the microUSB port on your Samsung Galaxy S5.

Step 4: Set the TV to display the picture fed through the HDMI port where you plug the HDMI cable.

OP
C

chf868

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S5
Thanks, but the issue is not the connection! We keep the cable hooked up almost continuously as we watch Netflix and Hulu quite often. My husbands phone still works just fine when hooked into it so the issue is within my phone somewhere. I just can't figure out where. I'm assuming something was accidentally changed in my settings, but I don't have a clue what it could be.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
A factory reset will bring your phone back to the way it was when you first got it.
If you have any data you wish to keep, you will need to backup to an SD or to your computer. If your phone will not connect after the reset, I would have it replaced.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm not sure if there are settings within the phone regarding HDMI output, but maybe compare your settings to your husband's phone first? Have you tried restarting your phone or a battery pull since this problem occurred?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I'm not sure if there are settings within the phone regarding HDMI output, but maybe compare your settings to your husband's phone first? Have you tried restarting your phone or a battery pull since this problem occurred?
I don't think there are any HDMI setting. IMO, if a FR does not fix the issue it's most likely a hardware problem.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I don't think there are any HDMI setting. IMO, if a FR does not fix the issue it's most likely a hardware problem.
Have a feeling there aren't any settings either, but worth a shot. Hopefully an FDR will do the trick.

OP
C

chf868

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S5
I didn't think there were any settings for it either, but figured I would ask just in case I was missing something. Tried to do a factory reset this morning with no luck so now a new phone is on its way. Should be here tomorrow :) Thanks everyone for your help!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Guess it was a hardware problem. Glad you got it resolved so quickly though. Hopefully this new one keeps on working

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I didn't think there were any settings for it either, but figured I would ask just in case I was missing something. Tried to do a factory reset this morning with no luck so now a new phone is on its way. Should be here tomorrow :) Thanks everyone for your help!
Glad you got it resolved.

Jaymf1991

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S5
My S5 is having the same problem. It was fine until i received the update from Android 5.0 to 5.1.1. So heads up do not update to 5.1.1 if you want to use mhl/hdmi cable. It crashes my phone when i plug it in then gets stuck in boot loop until you unplug it. Ive already spoken with tmobile and samsung and they say its a software glitch. If your having the same problem call your carrier and samsung and complain. The more complaints they receive the faster they will push out a update

Jaymf1991

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S5
Welcome to the forum @Jaymf1991 !
Thanks for the input.
emoji106.png

S5 tap'n

You're welcome hope this helps. Like i said ive contacted tmobile and samsung about this. They said they would look into it and hopefully push out an update soon as soon as I hear something or know something I will be sure to post what I find out on here

Last edited:

assman30655

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S5
I have the same problem and after three replacement phones finally figured out it was the upgrade to 5.1.1 that made it stop working.

fisherman22

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
galaxy s3
I have s3 and my daughter has s5...Im on kitkat 4.4.2 and mine doesn't work..and hers does work..she has lollipop 5.0....both are mhl compatible but it seems the android updates are stopping this function.. there are many people that hasn't had this since jellybean 4.1 ..Im not trying to bad mouth google but if this doesn't work the other options are Chromecast which is googles..or miracast..which i have coming next week..maybe if enough people complain they might fix this..hope this helps