HDMI Multimedia Desktop Charger, is it worth getting?

sundance1960

Reaction score
I'm wondering if this thing is worth getting. Does it have an AC plug so that it charges your phone or is it just the HDMI cable? If I can't plug it in so my phone stays charged while I'm watching or listening to something, then what's the point.

Please, can someone explain this to me?

Thanks!!

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
It comes with a microUSB port and a power supply that plugs into it. You can also plug it into your Compute's USB port (USB to microUSB cable not supplied). I've done this and the phone says it is charging, though I doubt it will charge as quickly as the OEM power supply.

Like the car dock, the phone auto senses the dock and changes it's home screen. Large clock, some default app icons, and a few widgets you can add. It is somewhat customizable but I haven't dug into how much can be done yet.

I got it because I seemed to be plugging it into the computer a lot and got tired of fumbling with a cable. So far I like it. Was it worth the money? Well, I guess that depends on how much time you spend at a desk and how much you dislike playing with cables.

Guitar4Him

Reaction score
I have 2....one at home and one on my desk at work. I find it easier to drop the DX into the dock to charge it than to hook up the charging cable. It's easier for me to keep my DX charged by having these available. It also makes a nice stand to keep it in when playing music or videos. I have the Slingplayer app on mine so DX plus Multimedia Doc equals miniature TV. So far, I haven't used the dock to connect my DX to my HDTV. I just use an HDMI cable for that. I bought my docks at the Verizon store when I got my DX. I think you can get better prices if you do some online shopping.

debaucher

Reaction score
Just realize that if you use a case of ANY KIND it will not fit into this dock.

I bought one on launch day (along with my phone and a case) and realized after taking it out of the package that if you have a case on your phone you can not use the dock.

SO, it has been sitting in a box since then since the only way for me to use it is to take the phone out of the case every time (and ruin the case in the process).

D.

hailtothetheif83

Reaction score
Totally worth it... love using it with real HDMI app from the market that unlocks the real potential of the HDMI port. just dock it and anything on phone comes up on tv

Plus the dock app that comes up when the phone is put in is really customizable

tiwags

Reaction score
:icon_eek:
Just realize that if you use a case of ANY KIND it will not fit into this dock.

I bought one on launch day (along with my phone and a case) and realized after taking it out of the package that if you have a case on your phone you can not use the dock.

SO, it has been sitting in a box since then since the only way for me to use it is to take the phone out of the case every time (and ruin the case in the process).

D.

ditto..

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
I don't use a case.

When I bought the card dock I found that my current case did not fit, even with the size adaptor removed. I bought a thin silicone case, and though it could be crammed into the dock with that case, it was a pain. For a short time I just pealed the case off whenever I wanted the phone in the dock. Easy to do with the silicone cases, but I got tired of it. Now I don't bother with a case.

And that is my excuse for not mentioning the case as a downside with the Media Station. A couple weeks earlier and I'd have been upset about it myself.