Having trouble with outgoing email on roadrunner

dave500

Reaction score
I've been using my DroidX for 2 months now. This last week, I've been having trouble sending email. They come in fine, but when I send, they just sit in the "outbox". Went to the Verizon store and the guy removed and replaced the battery to reboot and it worked. Next day same issue, so I did the battery thing and still nothing.
Now, if I remove the roadrunner account and reinstall it, it works. Seems to happen if I send something with a large filesize, like a 2mb photo.
Today I have removed account and reinstalled for the 4th time. It's getting old!
Any advise is sure appreciated.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've read several post from members who use RR and they experience the same issue. Unfortunately, I do not remember the solution of if there was one.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
I have a RR pop3 account and MailDroid is the only app that works for me.
I tried K9 and it did the same thing the stock OEM app did...nothing.

Pyzon

Reaction score
I had to go into my email account setting and change the outgoing server setting to use the same configuration as the incoming server.......But I have not idea why....and when I switch back to using RR at home, I have to switch it back......Wish I could quit doing that.
I going to check out MailDroid to see if that resolves this issue.

Natey2

Reaction score
Verify with RR support:
I believe they only accept connections for outgoing mail if you connect from a RR IP address, not some other (Verizon, AT&T, work) IP address.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Pyzon

Reaction score
So how do we get around this to send RR email on the road ? Will MailDroid do the trick ?

AngryHatter

Reaction score
So how do we get around this to send RR email on the road ? Will MailDroid do the trick ?

Yes.
It works.
And no, you don't have to log in from a RR account to access RR mail.

Road Runner Web Mail gives you the ability to check your e-mail from any computer with Internet access. You can use any web browser such as Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox. Type in RR.com: News, Sports, Email, TV Listings, Videos - Road Runner in the address bar of the browser. Once Road Runner has loaded, click on Mail and enter your e-mail address and password.

For more information please visit our E-mail Help Topic Page located at Road Runner Help & Member Services.

Can I access my Road Runner e-mail when I am away from home? | Time Warner Cable | Corporate

OP
D

dave500

Reaction score
I inquired about this outgoing mail problem with the Roadrunner tech support folks. Meanwhile, after doing a little searching through their "FAQ" section, I found this:

To send Road Runner mail from your iPhone, iPad, or Android phone:
  1. Check your Outgoing Mail Server setting.
  2. Set the Host Name/SMTP setting to mobile-smtp.roadrunner.com.
I tried this setting and it works. Now let's hope it is reliable. If not, perhaps the response from my inquiry will be of help.

Pyzon

Reaction score
Thanks for that help, Dave.

Just to clarify something though, I only seem to have sending problems when away from my home WiFi, which is probably exactly the issue we are talking about.

Your solution regarding the mobile SMTP server will likely work no matter where you are trying to send email, and could be configured that way as a permanent solution, especially when on a n extended network, correct ? I hate having to change account settings to send a single message, because I forget to change it back when I return home to my wireless network.

Last question, your solution will also work when using wireless tether, sending RR email from a tethered laptop, correct ? Cool......

OP
D

dave500

Reaction score
I am extemely illiterate when it comes to this sort of technical dilema.
These were instructions from the Roadrunner people. In addition to what I posted regarding outgoing settings, they instructed to change the outgoing port from 25 to 587.
I have done so and it is working.

Pyzon

Reaction score
Thanks again for this, Dave.

Re-set everything as you suggest and still no joy in my case.

I would prefer to get this to work via the mobile server because roadrunner webmail is not nearly so easy to use, especially if attachments are part of a message.

Pyzon

Reaction score
No success getting the RR mobile server to work on my own, so off to the friendly folks at my local Verizon Store.

All they could figure out was that something must have gotten screwed up that could only be solved by deleting my RR account settings and re-installing it with the standard POP3 and SMTP server settings.

No idea what that accomplished, but it now works, so who knows ?

When you Google RR/Android outgoing email problems, you get a whole lot of differing opinions from experts and others claiming that RR will reject all mail from anything other than RR ISPs, but now, if I leave home (or turn off WiFi) and send via 3G only, it indeed works.

Frustrating, is all I can say, as RR says the mobile SMTP server setting should have solved this problem, blaming it on Motorola and Verizon.

Natey2

Reaction score
I used a RR account in my Windows Mobile days.
My PC Outlook would sync/send fine. But the phone mail client would only send if I was connected to RR at home.
This new "mobile-smtp" server must be their solution to that problem.
I just started using hotmail.com and the slightly better live.com (both from Microsoft), since I was using Windows Mobile.
If using Android, go with their gmail.com
It supports "push" (I believe the others only support polling), for faster delivery with less battery power waste.
I believe live.com accounts also supports push if you set it up as a "Corporate Sync" (free) account on your Android.

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_e-mail

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Last edited:
OP
D

dave500

Reaction score
I gave up on Roadrunner, and happy that I did.
Outgoing mail stopped again, Roadrunner said they were happy to help but don't support email on phones, only computers. Isn't that special?

I now use Gmail with "imap" synced with my Outlook. For me it is perfect, works instantly and flawlessly. Contacts don't sync so I had to import the CSV file into Gmail. No big deal, I don't need to manage that too often.

mimicapone

Reaction score
It will only work when u r connected to ur router... wifi it sucks but thats the reason u're not able to send emails...