Having Trouble Copying Files to Galaxy Nexus From Computer Via USB

bp328i

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Finally success!!!! After completely wiping my pc and reinstalling XP running ALL the updates Microsoft could throw at me I plug my Galaxy Nexus in and it connects right away, I did not even need to download the Samsung drivers. Talk about a pain in the a%@....

Now I get to reinstall ALL my programs including Android sdk so I can root this bad boy....

stragabenz

Reaction score
not having any issues copying but my transfer speeds seem to much slower than on my Droid 2. It took 20 minutes to transfer 500MB of pictures, not sure if this normal but let me know how your transfer speeds are going guys...

EDIT: Does it matter if it is on MTP or PTP what is the major difference?

Last edited:

9wire

Reaction score
Very bad deal, read something about doing a factory reset to improve signal, lost 12gb of music and about 700 pics. :( Is there some way to protect these files? Did try connecting phone in camera mode, seems faster.

Sal Khan

Reaction score
Very strange. My GNEX was recognized right away. I was able to transfer pictures, movies, even ringtones (Which I split using ringtones and notifications) and they all seem to work?

Using Win7 Ultimate 64 on a Thinkpad T520.

Are you guys using the pre-created folders on the GNX in Windows, or trying to create your own?

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
I finally "fixed" it for my Nexus. After trying all sorts of random things, I kinda screwed up my folders, so I decided to just do a factory reset to get everything back the way it was. Got everything loaded up, and went back to transfer pictures. Worked like a charm. Not sure if this will work for everyone but it did for me. The Verizon rep handled the phone before I did for a few minutes so maybe he changed something in the settings? No idea, but for anyone who is still having trouble, it's worth a shot.

cjriddle22

Reaction score
Can't copy anything to phone

I am having some serious issues trying to copy anything to the 'internal storage' on my nexus. I have searched for solution with no fix yet. I originally tried to copy all my pictures to the dcim folder so all the new pictures I take would be in the same folder as the ones I took on my DX. Then I read that we might not be able to copy to that folder, so I tried to copy them to the folder labeled 'Pictures', still a no go. Then I read where I should try to delete the pictures folder or add a folder to the internal storage. I was able to delete the folder, but then I could not add a new folder (which was weird to me). After restarting my computer I was able to add a folder, but then couldn't copy any files to it. I am also not able copy anything to any folder, I have a few .apks I would like to add, but can't get those to copy either. I just don't know what I am doing wrong. Almost every time I try to copy files over windows explorer stops working on my PC. I have seen other threads and followed their suggestions, but the fixes seem to be hit or miss.

I don't think this is a driver issue either, as I have already unlocked the bootloader and rooted the phone. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My PC is a Win7 32 bit.

stragabenz

Reaction score
I am having some serious issues trying to copy anything to the 'internal storage' on my nexus. I have searched for solution with no fix yet. I originally tried to copy all my pictures to the dcim folder so all the new pictures I take would be in the same folder as the ones I took on my DX. Then I read that we might not be able to copy to that folder, so I tried to copy them to the folder labeled 'Pictures', still a no go. Then I read where I should try to delete the pictures folder or add a folder to the internal storage. I was able to delete the folder, but then I could not add a new folder (which was weird to me). After restarting my computer I was able to add a folder, but then couldn't copy any files to it. I am also not able copy anything to any folder, I have a few .apks I would like to add, but can't get those to copy either. I just don't know what I am doing wrong. Almost every time I try to copy files over windows explorer stops working on my PC. I have seen other threads and followed their suggestions, but the fixes seem to be hit or miss.

I don't think this is a driver issue either, as I have already unlocked the bootloader and rooted the phone. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My PC is a Win7 32 bit.

I have had some issues too but I was able to copy files over only in MTP, the PTP mode will not transfer anything gives me an error. Install drivers from Samsung website, Make sure USB debugging mode is on and set screen too stay awake when plugged in. Try doing a battery pull and if all else fails I guess factory reset is your last resort.

cjriddle22

Reaction score
I know the drivers are correct. I basically just did a factory reset, because after you unlock it, it factory resets and everything starts fresh again. I am not able to get anything to transfer via mtp or ptp. It does not like either one. I have tried with both usb debugging on and off but I have not tried the stay awake thing, I do not want my screen on when I charge the phone tho.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Artimis

Reaction score
Not sure if this helps anyone but I was helping out a friend last night using Windows XP and we ran into an issue where the MTP device would not show up a drive or have the ability to "open and browse" as an option.

The solution ended up being to upgrade from Windows media player 9 to 11 (although we read 10 would work).

Odd that it boiled down to that but I thought I would share in case anyone else runs across this issue.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I had same problem transferring pictures. Googled it, and found a solution. If you use an app called airdroid, it will transfer the pictures correctly. It actually is a very neat app, and its free. You install the app on your phone, then goto a specific address in your web browser on your PC, enter a passcode that the android app gives you, then you full access to stuff.

airdroid works great!! Stupid USB bs!! The cable transfer method worked fine for me for a while but then just froze and never worked again.. :angry:

Ricocht77

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Xperia Z3v
I'm not sure if you're talking about different files but i just used Airdroid and transferred all my music, and photos with no problem unless i missed a post about it being something else?

Sweettooth

Reaction score
I have no problems either. I can access the phone's storage many times faster than my old Droid and the plus side to the phone using internal storage as opposed to the SD card means that everything you're manipulating/viewing on the computer is still readily accessible on the phone. The only issue I had was when I was trying to copy one of many videos on my Droid to the Nexus it said it couldn't copy. It played just fine on the Droid but then I noticed it wouldn't copy from the Droid to the computer either. Weird...

flyinion

Reaction score
Ok I found a fix in my case. None of the front panel USB ports on my case which are plugged into the extra usb port headers on my motherboard were behaving with MTP. PTP and ADB seemed to work ok. I've read in the past that sometimes the extra USB headers are more like a hub and sometimes interfere with some devices so on a chance I plugged into the rear USB stack built into my motherboard (really didn't want to have to crawl behind my case but oh well). MTP started working just fine when I plugged in there.

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
That would be weird but might explain my problem. When I connected the USB cable I got a pop up telling me it 'could run faster' meaning it was detected as USB 1.1 not USB 2.0! No wonder some people are having crazy slow copying! This should be able to be fixed with a software solution. Ran a test tonight and it runs correctly on the front USB3.0 port - well correctly means at 2.0 :p

BTW I used doubleTwist air sync to copy over my music and videos - worked like a charm.

Last edited:

GoldenDroid

Reaction score
There is something up with it. You can't copy jpg files into the Pictures folder in the phone. I DL'd the drivers from samsung, f'd around with the USB ports, turned on USB debugging and it just flakes when you try to move a jpg into the pictures folder of the phone. Then, out of thinking that it must be something stupid I moved jpg files into the root folder of the phone and all is fine (no special settings on the phone needed and front USB ports are happy as rear). I then used ES File Explorer on the phone and moved the jpg files into pictures. Fricken weird...

Spoke too soon. While a single file copy will work correctly selecting more than 3 will hang the copy again and then you have to reset the device (unplug it from USB, or turn off and back on USB debugging) to get it to be readable again. This is on Win 7 x64. Going to try some other OS's to see WTF this is...

Last edited: