Has anyone tried using their Turbo with another Provider?

DroidT

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid turbo
Hmm, good point. Not too sure about that. I know there's a apk/service thing that can be frozen in Titanium Backup that'll prevent OTAs, so I would assume the OTAs will come through regardless of what carrier the phone is being used on, but it'll be up to Verizon and Motorola to release it.

And yea, $25 for Sunshine for the unlocked bootloader is awesome! Currently running Marshmallow on my Droid Turbo! :D (Resurrection Remix ROM)

EDIT: Droid Turbo 2014 users on AT&T were able to get the 5.1 Lollipop update last July, so I assume it'll work once Verizon/Motorola release it.
;)

DroidT

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid turbo
I think the OS updates come from Moto and not Verizon. You can update a phone on WiFi with no SIM card, that would indicate the Check For Update process is contacting a Moto server. If the Turbo gets Marshmallow... If...you should be able to download the new OS just like anyone else. But, if Verizon adds all kinds of new calling features, advanced calling stuff, etc then it may not work so good outside the US

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
No sayokaz, upgrade comes from Verizon...sure! And this generates the problem...:(

iiWoodstocK

Reaction score
EDIT: Droid Turbo 2014 users on AT&T were able to get the 5.1 Lollipop update last July, so I assume it'll work once Verizon/Motorola release it.
No sayokaz, upgrade comes from Verizon...sure! And this generates the problem...:(
The OTAs are released by Motorola, but ultimately the update will only roll out when Verizon approves it. But you should get the update regardless of what service provider you are using by going to the "Software updates" menu in Settings. I've seen AT&T XT1254 users report they were able to pull the 5.1 Lollipop update last July. I think I saw Straight Talk and T-Mobile users report that as well, although not 100% sure.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro

I used to think the same thing and posted that once on the Moto forum. I was instantly corrected by forum moderators (and Moto employees) that the OS updates push from the manufacturers servers...with Verizon permission (or whomever the carrier is). That's the only thing that explains the ability to take a phone with no SIM, not activated on the Verizon network, connect it to WiFi and download a new OS update. I don't think you could do that if Verizon's servers were pushing the update. I could be wrong though, only posting what I was told? The main thing here is....Marshmallow has not been released for the Turbo. Not even for the Turbo 2. So it's probably going to be a while before the OP even needs to worry about the Marshmallow update. :)