Has anyone tried using their Turbo with another Provider?

lgbalfa

Reaction score
i have used mine in the philippines but have not tried it with AT&T or t-mobile in america.

DroidT

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid turbo
Has anyone tried using their Turbo with another Provider other than VZW? Is it possible?
Sure!! I bought it from the USA and now I have another Provider, Vodafone; no problem, just the absence of the wcdma option

DroidT

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid turbo
There's different kinds of locked..the type you refer to..is the. Can I take my expensive device and use it on another carrier or in another country.. With vzw devices..in the US you're pretty locked down because of different antennas..but you can..you may only get 3g...

In Canada they work well in Rogers...

Now the other locked down is.. Bootloaders..the ability to have root access to your device, and change boot animations or run roms and other things like hacks for entitlement...moto and their droid line was like the first...now Samsung...is even locked down..infact...is there a way to root the new line of Samsung's yet??? Not that I'd heard..

Samsung was just sued in china over the amount of bloat on their devices..by a consumer group..we should get together and do that too..I like the idea of..put whatever you want on there. As long as I can permanently remove unneeded garbage from the device that I own..obviously they should keep it to where you can't delete core apps..but they would hide pieces of bloat in core apps saying they need all to function..anybody can see that one coming from a mile away..
I live in Europe and the 4g lte works very well here with my droid turbo1

DroidT

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid turbo
Has anyone tried using their Turbo with another Provider other than VZW? Is it possible?
p.s. If I do not disturb, I would ask for something concerning my droid turbo1: as I have just said, it's unlocked and I use it in Europe; will I get the upgrade to Marshmallow? Someone told me that the upgrade would brick the phone...what do you all think about? Please help me, thanks :))

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
p.s. If I do not disturb, I would ask for something concerning my droid turbo1: as I have just said, it's unlocked and I use it in Europe; will I get the upgrade to Marshmallow? Someone told me that the upgrade would brick the phone...what do you all think about? Please help me, thanks :))
This has been answered numerous times. Quit asking.

Short Answer - Yes per Verizon it should receive Marshmallow. But will it? Nobody Knows. If VZW approves the software and it bricks, contact them.

DroidT

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid turbo
Mustang, maybe I was not clear; my droid turbo has no more Verizon as Provider...it has been unlocked to all Providers.
p.s. I posted a question in a new thread, as you say, and this other question here where they are speaking about Marshmallow...that's all...Many thanks :)

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Very clear your in Europe but your phone is a VZW phone. Which receives updates from, you guessed it, Verizon. It's a global phone but you have a USA version, which may not let you get updates without being on VZW. I'm looking for an image on Motorola's site without any luck.

iiWoodstocK

Reaction score
Mustang, maybe I was not clear; my droid turbo has no more Verizon as Provider...it has been unlocked to all Providers.
p.s. I posted a question in a new thread, as you say, and this other question here where they are speaking about Marshmallow...that's all...Many thanks :)
All Verizon smartphone are SIM unlocked from the start. Nothing special had to be done as this was a requirement from the FCC (I believe due to some spectrum Verizon bought)

Now bootloader unlocked is a different story. The Droid Turbo has a locked bootloader which can be unlocked by paying $25 for Sunshine.

If and when the Marshmallow update for the Droid Turbo arrives, it's not going to brick your device. But you are subjected to Verizon's sluggishness.

FYI to everyone, here's the current status of the 3 Quarks:

The XT1225 Moto Maxx/Moto Turbo (international GSM) is currently in a soak for 6.0 Marshmallow.

The XT1250 Moto Maxx (CDMA, exactly the same phone as the XT1254 Droid Turbo, except lacks Verizon branding, same FCC ID) I believe is still stuck on 4.4.4 KitKat.

The XT1254 Droid Turbo (we all know this one :p) is on 5.1 Lollipop, supposed to be updated to 6.0 Marshmallow.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Regardless of the device being unlocked, wouldn't he have to wait for Vodafone to release the Marshmallow update? If Verizon releases the Marshmallow update for the VERIZON Turbo 2, it's not going to push to a device on a different carrier, so he'd have to flash it separately and cross his fingers.
I think iiWoodstock has the right idea. Pay the 25 bucks to unlock the bootloader and that would save a lot of headache with compatibility issues.

iiWoodstocK

Reaction score
Regardless of the device being unlocked, wouldn't he have to wait for Vodafone to release the Marshmallow update? If Verizon releases the Marshmallow update for the VERIZON Turbo 2, it's not going to push to a device on a different carrier, so he'd have to flash it separately and cross his fingers.
I think iiWoodstock has the right idea. Pay the 25 bucks to unlock the bootloader and that would save a lot of headache with compatibility issues.
Hmm, good point. Not too sure about that. I know there's a apk/service thing that can be frozen in Titanium Backup that'll prevent OTAs, so I would assume the OTAs will come through regardless of what carrier the phone is being used on, but it'll be up to Verizon and Motorola to release it.

And yea, $25 for Sunshine for the unlocked bootloader is awesome! Currently running Marshmallow on my Droid Turbo! :D (Resurrection Remix ROM)

EDIT: Droid Turbo 2014 users on AT&T were able to get the 5.1 Lollipop update last July, so I assume it'll work once Verizon/Motorola release it.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I think the OS updates come from Moto and not Verizon. You can update a phone on WiFi with no SIM card, that would indicate the Check For Update process is contacting a Moto server. If the Turbo gets Marshmallow... If...you should be able to download the new OS just like anyone else. But, if Verizon adds all kinds of new calling features, advanced calling stuff, etc then it may not work so good outside the US

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

DroidT

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid turbo
All Verizon smartphone are SIM unlocked from the start. Nothing special had to be done as this was a requirement from the FCC (I believe due to some spectrum Verizon bought)

Now bootloader unlocked is a different story. The Droid Turbo has a locked bootloader which can be unlocked by paying $25 for Sunshine.

If and when the Marshmallow update for the Droid Turbo arrives, it's not going to brick your device. But you are subjected to Verizon's sluggishness.

FYI to everyone, here's the current status of the 3 Quarks:

The XT1225 Moto Maxx/Moto Turbo (international GSM) is currently in a soak for 6.0 Marshmallow.

The XT1250 Moto Maxx (CDMA, exactly the same phone as the XT1254 Droid Turbo, except lacks Verizon branding, same FCC ID) I believe is still stuck on 4.4.4 KitKat.

The XT1254 Droid Turbo (we all know this one :p) is on 5.1 Lollipop, supposed to be updated to 6.0 Marshmallow.
Thanks! If I will not disturb, I'll write again :)

DroidT

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid turbo
:))