Hands-free voice dialing with Voice Dialer HF

fuzzyb3

Reaction score
DFX,
Sorry to learn of your button envy LOL! I had one of the first iPhones, and got rid of it because the bluetooth didn't work on that either (and AT&T didn't work well in my area). From what I understand, they didn't fix it until the second generation phone came out, so I'm just leery about holding onto this Eris praying for a fix...If only the Eclair update would happen this weekend....

OP
D

DFXmobile

Reaction score
If a Nexus One user out there would like to help us test VDHF, please contact us via either PM or the DFXmobile feedback email address.

Please mention Nexus One in the title.

Edit: Thank you to those that responded.

• It appears that 2.1 neither included a BT-enabled voice dialer nor enabled BT "voice activation" capability in their stack. We know it is coming (see Nick's Dec 12 4:29 pm comment). As soon as it is released OTA we plan to release an update supporting the BT button for both the Droid and Nexus One (as well as any other phone running the version of 2.x with the fix).
  • The Nexus One runs VDHF well (and quickly), but for now you must start it with the app icon--the Nexus One has neither a camera button nor a send button. That unfortunately defeats VDHF's ability to run today without looking at or touching the screen.

Thanks,
DFXmobile

P

pastortommy

I have an issue that I am sure others are experiencing (it happens on my droid and on my friend's droid). The first time you use VDHF after not using it for a while, there is a long wait time between where you say "Call John Doe" and when it asks for confirmation. During that wait time it continues to say "Listening." All subsequent attempts work perfectly. And NO, i do not change contact information or add new between every use!

solar

Reaction score
I've noticed the same thing too. I don't use it every day, and it does tend to have a longer lag time then using the built in interface, so frequently I just end up using the default voice search.

light3828

Reaction score
I am very frustrated with the built in Voice Dialer and the Voice Dialer HF. It hardly ever recognizes the name

OP
D

DFXmobile

Reaction score
Contacting DFXmobile

I am very frustrated with the built in Voice Dialer and the Voice Dialer HF. It hardly ever recognizes the name

Light3828,

We have several tools we can use to get to the bottom of any intermittent recognition issues.

I responded via PM Saturday after your post, but never heard back. You may contact DFXmobile directly at feedback ...at.... DFXmobile ...dot... com.

Regards,
DFXmobile

Samckaz

Reaction score

Light3828,

We have several tools we can use to get to the bottom of any intermittent recognition issues.

I responded via PM Saturday after your post, but never heard back. You may contact DFXmobile directly at feedback ...at.... DFXmobile ...dot... com.

Regards,
DFXmobile

I actually bought HF dialer and regretted it cause it hardly ever recognizes a name. Uninstalled it at once

OP
D

DFXmobile

Reaction score
Most "hardly recognizes" issues turn out to have a simple cause. Did you look through our troubleshooting guide or contact us? We generally send out emails with pointers upon install, and also send out troubleshooting recommendations and an offer for direct assistance if a user uninstalls.

rdlm

Reaction score
Use speaker, but not speakerphone?

Is there any way to configure Voice Dial HF to work through the standard handset speaker, and not be in speakerphone mode? In many situations, I'd much rather press the icon to start and hold it up to my ear to listen/talk.

OP
D

DFXmobile

Reaction score
Is there any way to configure Voice Dial HF to work through the standard handset speaker, and not be in speakerphone mode? In many situations, I'd much rather press the icon to start and hold it up to my ear to listen/talk.

rdlm,

We do not have a handset mode at this time, as the initial focus was safe dialing while driving. More than one person has now asked for this and we are considering it.

Regards,

DFXmobile

karinagw

Reaction score
I'm probably goung to d/l and test it before I get an answer here, but will it work with a mic'ed headset plugged into the 3.5 jack?

OP
D

DFXmobile

Reaction score
I'm probably goung to d/l and test it before I get an answer here, but will it work with a mic'ed headset plugged into the 3.5 jack?

If a stereo headset is plugged in, the "which number" conversation routes through that. (The beeps continue to route through the phone speaker.)

Operation with the 3.5" jack has been restored as of Droid's 2.1 update (previously was intermittent). I have not tested with a mono headset since this release.

In all cases the call itself routes through the headset.

Regards,

DFXmobile

redoil

Reaction score
Coolest App ever???

So far -- and I am an old guy -- this might be the best app for the Droid ever -- I am still on the learning curve -- but it is amazing. Maybe the best thing about it is the great communication from the developer. I wrote with a question even before I spent the $3.99 and immediately got an answer...