Handcent-paying for sms backup

bhawks

Reaction score
Hello, I have been using handcent since I got the droid 1 and love it, however recently for some reason it randomly deleted all my texts messages (i had a lot), and I lost a lot of info. I saw that for $4.99 I can backup/restore sms messages and settings for a year through their website, and was wondering if anyone else has this, and is it worth it? I dont think they offer a refund if I decide I dont like it so I was looking to get a few opinions on it before I made the purchase. Thanks!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Are you rooted?

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
B

bhawks

Reaction score
Yes I am rooted. Is there a way to do this for free? I have wavesecure and they have a free sms backup but it really doesnt work that well at all

ziltoid

Reaction score
I use mybackup pro. Paid version that is but i believe the free one will work.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I use SMS Backup & Restore...works like a charm! :)

DroidForums junkie!!

PhilD

Reaction score
I use SMS Backup & Restore...works like a charm! :)

it is a fantastic app but be careful if you are using a Motorola phone with 2.2.1 - while it will backup all your text messages, it will restore every message with the current date at time of restore. there are a few comments on this in the market by owners of both Droid 2 and Droid X running 2.2.1 (i experienced this with the X). it may only impact these two phones, i dunno. i'm guessing Motorola changed the way text messages are handled in 2.2.1 when they fixed the text message time stamp error they introduced in the 2.2 update. SMS Backup & Restore worked great on my Droid X on both 2.1 and 2.2.

sherri

Silver Member
Reaction score
Stupid question....I use both SMS Backup and Restore as well as SMS Backup. The first one enables you to restore messages to phone...(cool, but a waste of space...). Second one stores them in and SMS folder on my Gmail account....isn't this a better way to go?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

PhilD

Reaction score
Stupid question....I use both SMS Backup and Restore as well as SMS Backup. The first one enables you to restore messages to phone...(cool, but a waste of space...). Second one stores them in and SMS folder on my Gmail account....isn't this a better way to go?

no one way is best for everyone - depends on whether or not you want to be able to restore your messages to your phone, the latter is for backup only.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
no one way is best for everyone
Bingo. I rely on GV to effectively backup my messages. If my device is wiped/lost/stolen/broken/replaced/whatever, all I need to do is load the GV app and sync to get all my messages. It's not really an SMS backup app per se but fits my needs for this and many other reasons. YMMV, of course.