Handcent and double message ?

M

Matth3w

i got the same deal...two notifications at a time i just got rid of handcent entirely even though i really liked its :icon_ banana:fonts and all but not having any problems since uninstalling them
Two notifications is not the same problem. That's because you didn't disable the stock notification from the stock app. We are talking about two messages, not notifications.

bastosero

Reaction score
So I paid my bill today and received a confirmation text message from Verizon (which is free, by the way) that I have paid it, and I only got one copy of the text message this time. I don't know if the bug has been fixed now or not. It could've been a network problem after all, but I'm not sure 100% yet if it is fixed now. I'm still using Handcent also. Any reports from others? Are you guys still getting 2 copies of the same text or just one copy now?

allikanbe

Reaction score
I sometimes get double messages from a contact who owns a Palm. I can't say that I've received double messages from any other brand phone. I have the stock 2.01 and use Handcent.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A double message from the same person is NOT handcent issue its a verizon wireless issue.

I had this problem with EVERY phone I have had with verizon. I even got message resent to me that were sent 6 months earlier.

I had the same problem this past weekend with double handcent messages and NO I was not getting 1 from messenger and 1 from handcent they were BOTH via handcent.

-=Jason=-

dmo580

Reaction score
I started getting double messages today on my Milestone (read GSM). This is not just a Verizon Wireless issue because I'm on AT&T.... so there's more to it.

Once again this is not double notifications. i've been going a week with Handcent now and it just started acting up last night.

One thing that may have made a difference: I called ATT last night to downgrade iPhone data plan to $15 medianet plan. Hopefully that didn't bug out my SMS system..

Edit: uninstalled, reinstalled again. problem gone. Yes stock notification is turned off. I used to see TWO messages in my conversation page for the recent messages. Let's hope I keep going problem free!

Last edited:

tyronelaw

Reaction score
I turned on the notif's for stock messaging app and handcent. I received a dbl message on handcent but only 1 on the stock app. this had happened from messages received from another droid, a blackberry and an iphone. this has to be a handcent issue.

lookEVO

Reaction score
I have had verizon for years. its happened all the time for me. I notice handcent works better when gmail and IM arent working. Short of that... it IS a VZW problem not anything else.

GotnFX

Reaction score
I turned on the notif's for stock messaging app and handcent. I received a dbl message on handcent but only 1 on the stock app. this had happened from messages received from another droid, a blackberry and an iphone. this has to be a handcent issue.

Do you have any secondary notifications/alert apps such as "Missed Call"? I had forgot I turned on the notification for SMS in "Missed Call" and I turned it off. I am now back to 1 notification from just HC. From time to time I get two of the same messages sent to me from my wife. She has a Crackberry..and is on AT&T..I think that explains that situation...No one has ever complained of getting two of the same messages sent from me. I use HC exclusively for all texting and I love the app.

Sorry just read that you said double messages..are you counting the popup message and the one in the HC app as two or are you seeing two messages in HC app?

Last edited:

lookEVO

Reaction score
No. they all mean the same message 2 times, right on top of each other.

dmo580

Reaction score
I have had verizon for years. its happened all the time for me. I notice handcent works better when gmail and IM arent working. Short of that... it IS a VZW problem not anything else.

It's not a VZW problem because I stated I have the same problem and I use a Milestone which is the GSM variant. Then it's also an ATT problem. It's only a carrier problem if you veryif that you use up 2 texts, and AT&T doesn't show me gobbling up 2 messages in those double messages I see in Handcent. It's a software problem because once you reinstall the problem disappears.

micp1480

Reaction score
Well, I am glad to see that I am not the only one going crazy. I get double notifications, and yes the default messaging notification is unchecked. This is the best, I not only get double notifications, but I get them so spread apart, meaning that the same message I got from my daughter at 8, comes back and haunts me at 9:30. The only good thing about this app it make my friends family think that I have an important job.

MICP1480

dmo580

Reaction score
Ok, when you talk about double notifications, do you see TWO texts also?

I see two texts. Two bubbles. It's definitely a DROID issue. I think it has to do with either using Handcent and/or different Android keyboards. It's NOT a VZW issue. Otherwise, you'd be getting double texts on every other phone, and so far this is only a major issue on DroidForums.... interesting huh?

flyguide83

Reaction score
Its an issue that stopped happening for me when I updated to an ESE53 rom... ERE25 caused 2x texts..

cirtbrethren

Reaction score
Ok, I solved my problem! The double message issue was a popup setting in Handcent, NOT the native msg app which I had disabled notifications in. I am so happy now!