Handcent and double message ?

bastosero

Reaction score
I, too, am having this problem recently. A cousin of mine sent me a text two days ago and I received two copies, both identical. Then, a friend of mine sent a text yesterday also and I got two copies also. This just started about two days ago, I thought at first my cousin just resent his original text. I also use Handcent. I wonder if the people that use the stock messaging app is getting this same problem. Could it be a network problem with Verizon also?

M

Matth3w

thanks Huskur for your help.

and just for reference, if the other two posters would have taken the time to actually read the thread, they would have seen that I was NOT referring to getting 1 notification from Handcent and 1 from the native Messaging app. I've done plenty of searches through the forum and that is the only problem I see people having. As mine seemed unique from the 20+ posts that I've found, I posted.
I agree 100%. The last time I chastised someone for doing this, though, I got a slap on the wrist from one of the mods because I was being "mean". So make sure you tone down the sarcasm when you tell someone to read the thread before posting or some of the mods might be around to yell at you for not being "nice". Ironically the first two posters basically called you a noob for not searching but couldn't even read the first post in its entirety.

Anyhow, I had the same exact issue this past week. I removed all check boxes and whatnot from the stock messaging app and I was getting two of each message. No idea what suddenly caused it to happen more and more often, but I uninstalled Handcent and have been using only the stock messaging app lately...no issues since then.

Last edited by a moderator:

bastosero

Reaction score
thanks Huskur for your help.

and just for reference, if the other two posters would have taken the time to actually read the thread, they would have seen that I was NOT referring to getting 1 notification from Handcent and 1 from the native Messaging app. I've done plenty of searches through the forum and that is the only problem I see people having. As mine seemed unique from the 20+ posts that I've found, I posted.
I agree 100%. The last time I chastised someone for doing this, though, I got a slap on the wrist from one of the mods because I was being "mean". So make sure you tone down the sarcasm when you tell someone to read the thread before posting or some of the mods might be around to yell at you for not being "nice". Ironically the first two posters basically called you a noob for not searching but couldn't even read the first post in its entirety.

Anyhow, I had the same exact issue this past week. I removed all check boxes and whatnot from the stock messaging app and I was getting two of each message. No idea what suddenly caused it to happen more and more often, but I uninstalled Handcent and have been using only the stock messaging app lately...no issues since then.

At first I thought it could be a network issue with Verizon, but I guess not. How long ago did you switch back to the stock messaging app?

M

Matth3w

At first I thought it was a network issue as well, or maybe I was in a low reception area and accidentally got two...but I was getting them even at full signal.

I removed the Handcent app about maybe three days ago. I was only using it for the vibrate functions, but I haven't missed it one bit since uninstalling. It was a good app, just since uninstalling it I realized that it was just taking up space and active memory for me. I didn't really utilize all the functions to make it worth it, and the double messages pissed me off.

bastosero

Reaction score
Any ChompSMS users out there that are getting this problem as well?

M

Matth3w

I had ChompSMS before Handcent and didn't really get that problem...but like I said I don't miss a third party app since just dealing with the stock app.

Then again, my Handcent didn't used to do it either just like Chomp didn't...

chicostyles

Reaction score
messaging problems

i got the same deal...two notifications at a time i just got rid of handcent entirely even though i really liked its :icon_ banana:fonts and all but not having any problems since uninstalling them

Kack

Reaction score
I have never figured out a way to foreward a message with out typing a number in the send to bar. with chomp i can just click and add easy peasy!:icon_ banana: but the double text is annoying also:icon_evil:

CatsTide

Reaction score
I have never figured out a way to foreward a message with out typing a number in the send to bar. with chomp i can just click and add easy peasy!:icon_ banana: but the double text is annoying also:icon_evil:
with handcent just long press the message to forward it

cirtbrethren

Reaction score
I am having the same problem Truk is having. I have unchecked Notifications and Auto-Retrieve in the native messaging app, but also still get double messages. I have installed Android 2.1. Does anyone think that this has something to do with my problem?