[GUIDE] Milestone XT720 - Apps2SD and Froyo JIT

Green-Goblin

Reaction score
Hi,
First of all, I'd like to thank you for this awesome script, Navalynt.

Now, I am in need of some help: I have installed the custom skin provided with your script (NexTheme) only to realise that I hate it.
What steps would I have to take in order to restore my original unmodified android skin? I'd like to keep all my apps.

By the way, I haven't installed apps2sd, I only used the Froyo JIT installer.

Please, please help me.

danc69

Reaction score
apps2sd fails...

If anyone's still reading this thread i'd like suggestions as to what's wrong. I have xt720 running stock euro 2.1, had apps2sd working in isolation but won't work with the JIT/themes/etc.

1) with 4GB card i used apps2card to create partitions: fat32, ext2, swap.
2) installed apps2sd from the "refined" version apps2sd.zip on xda-developers forum. worked fine...all apps were installing to SD card.
3) bought a 16GB class 6 sd card. used hiren's boot CD to create partitions: fat32 (15GB) primary and Active; ext3 (~1GB); linux swap (130MB)
4) boot the xt720 with the 16GB card and use the optimiser scripts (Euro v2) to install all those good apps. JIT ok, Genesis theme ok, apps2sd not ok. Get the error lots of people get: unable to overwrite ext2.ko
5) tried changing the partition to ext2 (not ext3). same problem with overwriting ext2.ko during apps2sd install
6) went back to original 4GB card where the parition must be good...apps2sd installed ok the first time...and now the apps2sd won't install!
warnning`/system/bin/busybox'exists,use -f to overwrite
warnning`/system/lib/modules/ext2.ko'exists,use -f to overwrite insmod: can't in
sert '/system/lib/modules/ext2.ko': File exists
mkdir failed for /system/sd, File exists
mount: mounting /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /system/sd failed: Device or resource bu
sy
sorry,mount sd ext2 fail!!!!!
So i've seen lots of comments in this thread that the problem with ext2.ko installation is the bad partition. I may have messed up the 16GB partition, though it looked ok, but the 4GB card's partition *must* be ok for apps2sd to work the first time...so what's up?

Any suggestions?
Do I have to return to the manufacturer's ROM and start over...?

Quadrant says the xt720 scores >740 with optimiser scripts, which is great. The new theme gets rid of the horrible Home lag too. But I really want apps2sd!!!

danc69

Reaction score
apps2sd sorted

now sorted. The ext2.ko error is not a problem with the partition, it's something else.

If you have the same problem, here's what I did:
- flash the stock Euro .sbf file. There's an easy to follow guide if you google for xt720 rsdlite. Page 1 of this thread has the stock .sbf's
- I left the SDCARD as it was, i.e. 15GB FAT32 primary + active; 1GB ext2 primary; 130MB swap primary; all done from Hiren's. Note that it's not possible to have more than one active partition...don't try to set them all active as the Partition wizard on Hiren's boot CD will just make the previous partition inactive every time you set a new one to active. I made the FAT32 partition active only.
- Follow steps in page 1 of this thread...installing apps2sd first, natch. It seems the most difficult to get working.

Check apps2sd is working via
adb shell ls -l /data where the symbolic links will point to the sd, not the internal memory.

I'm back to >700 on quadrant and apps installing on the SDcard. Result. Top work Navalynt, great guide and optimiser code!

solnyshok

Reaction score
is there a chance we will be getting improved dalvik from 2.3?

superloui

Reaction score
XT720 Optimizer Rev: 2
Tested using a Singapore XT720
All of firmware versions below flashed just fine using RSD Lite 4.6

DOWNLOAD UNMODIFIED FIRMWARES HERE

DOWNLOAD XT720 OPTIMIZER SCRIPTS BELOW
Central Europe STR_U2_01.1E.0
Italy STR_U2_02.1E.0
Russia STR_U2_03.20.1
USA Cincinati Bell STR_U2_04.1E.1

Q: What is it? What optimizations/customizations does it perform?

A: The XT720 Optimizer is a script I put together to perform a variety of optimization/customization tasks including:

* Install busybox
* Activate APPS2SD
* Move dalvik-cache to SD or /cache
* Install optimized build.prop
* Install JIT from Froyo
* Theme Installation
* Install updated apns-conf.xml
* Install MilestoneOverclock 1.42

What's new in Rev: 2?
* Star Wars Live Wallpapers (included in themes)
* LauncherPro updated to 0.8.1.0 (included in themes)
* Droid X Multi-Touch Keyboard (included in themes)
* PropEditor v0.3 from psychoi3oy (included in themes)
* Dalvik-cache can be moved to SD or /cache
* When activating APPS2SD you have the option to delete old data from SD card
* Cleanup script is included and optional

Credit for the 2.2 JIT compiler goes to antibyte for the Frozen Eclair project
Credit for the original apps2sd instructions/script go to jakelights for finding the script and whomsoever wrote the script (not referenced in forum post)

I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU DAMAGE YOUR PHONE!

THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE PROVIDED AS-IS AND BY APPLING THESE TO YOUR HANDSET YOU TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE CONSEQUENCES!

Step One: Create an ext3 partition on your MicroSD card
This step is tricky, and the only reliable way I have found is to use gparted under linux with your microSD inserted into a card reader. THIS LINK will provide instructions for use a gparted live CD so you do not have to install linux on your computer.

1. First create a fat32 partition at the beginning of the drive leaving about 1GB of empty space (more or less depending on how much space you want for installing apps)
  2. In the empty space create a linux ext3 partition
  3. Flag the fat32 partition as boot
  4. Apply changes
Step Two: Copy files to the microSD card
This presumes you have already placed the microSD card back in the phone.

• Unrar the attached file to the root of your microSD card. It's critical to running the script later that the path to the apps2sd directory be /sdcard/apps2sd

Step Three: Install the necessary applications
Make sure you are already signed into a Google account so you can access the market!

• In the Market download an app called Estrongs File Manager
  • Open Estrongs File Manager (listed as ES File Explorer in your app drawer) and you should, by default, be seeing the files/directories on the sdcard
  • Tap on UniversalAndroot.apk and use the Package Installer to install the application
Step Four: ROOT!

• Run the Universal Androot application and tap on Root :) (wait for it to finish before going back to home screen)
Step Five: Run the script
In order to run the script from your handset you would need a terminal application installed and the script will try to move the application while running ... NOT RECOMMENDED! (see post #3) Please only run this script using ADB access from your computer. I've uploaded another guide I wrote on setting up ADB access on a Windows computer and attached to this post.

• Open a windows command prompt and type in adb devices to see if your device shows
  • If your device does not show go to MENU -> Settings -> Applications -> Development on the phone and enable USB Debugging (you might also have to drag down the notifications bar, select USB Connected, and change the mode to Phone & Portal)
  • Once you have a device showing under adb devices type in adb shell
  • Make SURE your screen is unlocked then type in su, hit enter, and tap on OK for the Superuser Permissions box that will pop-up on the handset
  • The command prompt should change from $ to # indicating you now have root access to the file system
  • Run the following command: cd /sdcard/apps2sd
  • Run the following command: sh install.sh
  • To exit the script use option 0
IT WILL TAKE 5 - 10 MINUTES TO REBOOT - THIS IS PERFECTLY NORMAL - TIME VARIES DEPENDING ON AMOUNT OF APPLICATIONS MOVED AND SPEED OF YOUR MICROSD CARD

Once your phone boots up apps2sd should be working, JIT should be enabled, and you are good to go! Use the Milestone Overclock application if you want to see some extreme performance boosts!

*Screenshot clock/weather is Beautiful Widgets with the NakedDroidBW clock skin and EmotiSun weather skin

HI ! i just bought my milestone yesterday !:) ok um i dun understand certain things firstly must i have the apps2sd in my sd card ? and why doesnt anything come out when i type adb devices in command prompt ? can i use rom manager to partition my sd ? thanks thanks

mynameistop

Reaction score
hi guys ive been able to follow the steps except the last as i cant seem to download the optimizers from 4shared it just doesnt download could u guys probably post links to the optimizers ? thanks in advanced

P

prya

Get the error lots of people get: unable to overwrite ext2.ko]
but the 4GB card's partition *must* be ok for apps2sd to work the first time...so what's up?
that is an already cleared error: you can only use the script to install apps2sd one time! Even if it was successfull you cannot do it again- you have to wipe the phone cache and/or flash the sfb new and do all steps right from the first one including sdcard partitioning. Like the error says: File exists.
If there is just anything left from an former apps2sd installation, it will not work!
Note that it's not possible to have more than one active partition
I have fat32 and ext3 set as active without any problems.

must i have the apps2sd in my sd card ?
yes
and why doesnt anything come out when i type adb devices in command prompt
Did you install the androidSDK on your computer?

can i use rom manager to partition my sd
yes, but that works not everytime. Better use a bootCD to do the partitioning.

What steps would I have to take in order to restore my original unmodified android skin? I'd like to keep all my apps.
Replace the nextheme app and framework files with the original ones in the folder apps2sd/themes/nexTheme... but don't change the name of the folder! and run the script again. Just the steps about applying themes.

danc69

Reaction score
Get the error lots of people get: unable to overwrite ext2.ko]
but the 4GB card's partition *must* be ok for apps2sd to work the first time...so what's up?
that is an already cleared error: you can only use the script to install apps2sd one time! Even if it was successfull you cannot do it again- you have to wipe the phone cache and/or flash the sfb new and do all steps right from the first one including sdcard partitioning. Like the error says: File exists.
If there is just anything left from an former apps2sd installation, it will not work!
I have fat32 and ext3 set as active without any problems.

ok that explains the problem and why blowing it all away fixed it.
Not convinced about multiple active partitions though; the partition wizard on Hiren's Boot CD does not support this (...I guess you used a different tool?). Their FAQ quotes: "Only one Primary partition can be set as active among all the Primary partitions in the hard disk", which is why I gave up trying to make more than one active partition.

Green-Goblin

Reaction score
Replace the nextheme app and framework files with the original ones in the folder apps2sd/themes/nexTheme... but don't change the name of the folder! and run the script again. Just the steps about applying themes.

Thanks for replying.
Where can I find the original files?

opiswahn

Reaction score
Hi,

first of all, great work, workes fine on me (xt720EU).
How do i remove the installed theme (installed Genesis)???

JLamar

Reaction score
4shared Links don't work

Hey, just purchased a new SD card (class 6) to go ahead and run the optimizers but the links to the files at 4shared no longer seem to be valid. I'm specifically looking for the US (Cincinnati Bell) files - does anyone still have them? And if so, I can put them up on a site that I control for future downloads as a mirror.

EDIT Are there legal implications for hosting the files, because I've been able to acquire them, but don't want my hosting company to rape me over a DMCA notice. I'm starting to wonder if that's why the US version disappeared from 4shared.

Last edited:

shinobi

Reaction score