Tested using a Singapore XT720
All of firmware versions below flashed just fine using RSD Lite 4.6

DOWNLOAD UNMODIFIED FIRMWARES HERE

DOWNLOAD XT720 OPTIMIZER SCRIPTS BELOW
Central Europe STR_U2_01.1E.0
Italy STR_U2_02.1E.0
Russia STR_U2_03.20.1
USA Cincinati Bell STR_U2_04.1E.1

Q: What is it? What optimizations/customizations does it perform?

A: The XT720 Optimizer is a script I put together to perform a variety of optimization/customization tasks including:

* Install busybox
* Activate APPS2SD
* Move dalvik-cache to SD or /cache
* Install optimized build.prop
* Install JIT from Froyo
* Theme Installation
* Install updated apns-conf.xml
* Install MilestoneOverclock 1.42

What's new in Rev: 2?
* Star Wars Live Wallpapers (included in themes)
* LauncherPro updated to 0.8.1.0 (included in themes)
* Droid X Multi-Touch Keyboard (included in themes)
* PropEditor v0.3 from psychoi3oy (included in themes)
* Dalvik-cache can be moved to SD or /cache
* When activating APPS2SD you have the option to delete old data from SD card
* Cleanup script is included and optional

Credit for the 2.2 JIT compiler goes to antibyte for the Frozen Eclair project
Credit for the original apps2sd instructions/script go to jakelights for finding the script and whomsoever wrote the script (not referenced in forum post)

I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU DAMAGE YOUR PHONE!

THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE PROVIDED AS-IS AND BY APPLING THESE TO YOUR HANDSET YOU TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE CONSEQUENCES!

Step One: Create an ext3 partition on your MicroSD card
This step is tricky, and the only reliable way I have found is to use gparted under linux with your microSD inserted into a card reader. THIS LINK will provide instructions for use a gparted live CD so you do not have to install linux on your computer.

1. First create a fat32 partition at the beginning of the drive leaving about 1GB of empty space (more or less depending on how much space you want for installing apps)
  2. In the empty space create a linux ext3 partition
  3. Flag the fat32 partition as boot
  4. Apply changes
Step Two: Copy files to the microSD card
This presumes you have already placed the microSD card back in the phone.

• Unrar the attached file to the root of your microSD card. It's critical to running the script later that the path to the apps2sd directory be /sdcard/apps2sd

Step Three: Install the necessary applications
Make sure you are already signed into a Google account so you can access the market!

• In the Market download an app called Estrongs File Manager
  • Open Estrongs File Manager (listed as ES File Explorer in your app drawer) and you should, by default, be seeing the files/directories on the sdcard
  • Tap on UniversalAndroot.apk and use the Package Installer to install the application
Step Four: ROOT!

• Run the Universal Androot application and tap on Root :) (wait for it to finish before going back to home screen)
Step Five: Run the script
In order to run the script from your handset you would need a terminal application installed and the script will try to move the application while running ... NOT RECOMMENDED! (see post #3) Please only run this script using ADB access from your computer. I've uploaded another guide I wrote on setting up ADB access on a Windows computer and attached to this post.

• Open a windows command prompt and type in adb devices to see if your device shows
  • If your device does not show go to MENU -> Settings -> Applications -> Development on the phone and enable USB Debugging (you might also have to drag down the notifications bar, select USB Connected, and change the mode to Phone & Portal)
  • Once you have a device showing under adb devices type in adb shell
  • Make SURE your screen is unlocked then type in su, hit enter, and tap on OK for the Superuser Permissions box that will pop-up on the handset
  • The command prompt should change from $ to # indicating you now have root access to the file system
  • Run the following command: cd /sdcard/apps2sd
  • Run the following command: sh install.sh
  • To exit the script use option 0
IT WILL TAKE 5 - 10 MINUTES TO REBOOT - THIS IS PERFECTLY NORMAL - TIME VARIES DEPENDING ON AMOUNT OF APPLICATIONS MOVED AND SPEED OF YOUR MICROSD CARD

Once your phone boots up apps2sd should be working, JIT should be enabled, and you are good to go! Use the Milestone Overclock application if you want to see some extreme performance boosts!

*Screenshot clock/weather is Beautiful Widgets with the NakedDroidBW clock skin and EmotiSun weather skin

Last edited:
OP
Navalynt

Navalynt

Reaction score
**RESERVED** - For future screenshots and hopefully some additional themes (if anyone cares to create some)

SCREENSHOTS OF SLAYHER'S GENESIS THEME PORTED TO THE XT720 ARE ATTACHED.

Last edited:

steaua1986

Reaction score
Didn't work for me ... went through all steps and after running install.sh I got a "copying app,please wait...." message and that was it. The phone screen went blank. I waited about 10-15 minutes and rebooted the phone. Now it doesn't go past the M logo. I'll have to re-image it I guess.
The only difference from instructions was that I ran the install.sh script from a terminal window on the phone.

steaua1986

Reaction score
Quick update ... re-did everything and used adb access. Everything worked. Just a note, after the reboot, it takes forever (only the first time) for the phone to come back up, so be patient.
Great guide!!! Thanks!!!

OP
Navalynt

Navalynt

Reaction score
I'm glad it worked ok the second time around! It probably went to hell on you the first time because it was running the command from a terminal application it was trying to move with the script.

First reboot takes 5 - 10 minutes because it has to rebuild the dalvik cache on the microSD card which is normal, but sort of alarming if you are not expecting it. I'll update the guide with this information.

Ranrick

Reaction score
It works on my European Milestone XT720.
But you have to modify the build.prop.
Take your own build.prop from your XT720 and write "dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:jit" at the end of your build.prop (without "").
Then change it with the build.prop from the xt720.zip archive and just follow the introductions in post #1.

JIT and App2SD enabled
Quadrant Average (800Mhz): 604
Quadrant Average (1Ghz): 759

Now i got some questions:
1. How to deinstall JIT and App2SD?
2. Can I still update my phone via OTA? If not, alternates?

Last edited:

shinobi

Reaction score
For everyone like me that had no idea where the build.prop file is;

Run estrongs file manager like you are told in the beginning of this guide, and press the \ icon top left, go to /system and it's right there. Hold to copy, and then go to the sd card again and paste it.

Now add the "dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:jit" code like Ranrick said, at the very end, but no enter key.

Save and replace the file in apps2sd and follow the guide.

Running a "french" edition of the XT720 Milestone, bought from expansys.

Last edited:

shinobi

Reaction score
Fantastic!
It worked!

I got 436 with Quadrant (550mhz), which is now much higher than I used to get.
I can't remember exactly, but I got a substantially lower score then the Droid/old milestone

Quadrant doesn't finish at 1ghz, but I score 608 at 800mhz

Last edited:
OP
Navalynt

Navalynt

Reaction score
I'm testing an update which breaks apart installing apps2sd, jit, and a modified NexTheme so you can choose which ones you want to install.

Yup, modified NexTheme has been created and works with white text in the status bar.

@Ranrick - I will see what I can do about creating an uninstall.sh file to remove apps2sd or jit and move the files back to internal memory but this could be tricky. The point of enabling apps2sd is to get more storage space for apps and cache then you have in internal memory so attempting to just move back more files then the /data partition can hold would be problematic. This procedure would almost certainly require a factory data reset.

@Ranrick - Also, I don't see any reason why OTA updates would fail as long as they are maintenance releases for 2.1. When/if 2.2 comes to the handset it will likely perform a full wipe and have native ability to install or move apps to the SD card.

Edit: New script with NexTheme install option is uploaded! See the first post!

Last edited:

hahutzy

Reaction score
Hi, I have an XT720 with root and launcherpro already installed.
I do not want to reformat my microSD, so I'm not going to install Apps2SD

Is there anyway I can just install Froyo JIT onto my current setup without changing anything else?

OP
Navalynt

Navalynt

Reaction score
Hi, I have an XT720 with root and launcherpro already installed.
I do not want to reformat my microSD, so I'm not going to install Apps2SD

Is there anyway I can just install Froyo JIT onto my current setup without changing anything else?

Sure, just run the script and enter "n" for APPS2SD and NexTheme.

Ranrick

Reaction score
NexTheme needs a lot of time.

Edit: nope, failed, need to flash XT720.

Edit2: ok first I installed app2sd & JIT successfully, then I tried NexTheme and cmd said this: Bad Mode

but hell yea, IT WORKED!!! great job and great theme :D

Last edited:
OP
Navalynt

Navalynt

Reaction score
NexTheme needs a lot of time.

Edit: nope, failed, need to flash XT720.

Edit2: ok first I installed app2sd & JIT successfully, then I tried NexTheme and cmd said this: Bad Mode

but hell yea, IT WORKED!!! great job and great theme :D

Whoops, sorry! One bad line of code there but it's actually not necessary. I'll try to fix that later this week so it doesn't freak anyone out.

I'll be adding some screenshots of the theme to the first post shortly.

khalpowers

Reaction score
finally...yaaaa...tq bro!!!..im really appreciate it!!.
app2sd got b4..just follow ur step to install jit n next theme...later i hope u can upgrade the censor of the camera from the xt701 update...:):)

:icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

whistleon

Reaction score
i follow the instruction but fail... now i wait more that 1hour also cannot goto moto logo C:\Documents and Settings\001>adb shell $ su su # cd /sdcard/app2sd cd /sdcard/app2sd cd: can't cd to /sdcard/app2sd # cd /sdcard/apps2sd cd /sdcard/apps2sd # sh install.sh sh install.sh ********************************************** * Milestone XT720 Optimizer * * Coded by: Navalynt * ********************************************** The following scripts will attemp to install: 1. APPS2SD 2. JIT from FroYo (Frozen Eclair Project) 3. Customized NexTheme FINAL WARNTING: RUNNING THESE SCRIPTS COULD DAMAGE YOUR HANDSET 1. Install APPS2SD? y y Installing APPS2SD, please wait... insmod of ext2 successful! mount: Invalid argument Error mounting sd ext2, exiting script ... Mount of ext2 successful! Copying apps to sd, please wait ... Copying apps private data to sd, please wait ... Copying dalvik-cache to sd, please wait ... APPS2SD INSTALLED SUCCESSFULLY! 2. Install JIT? y y JIT INSTALLED SUCCESSFULLY! 3. Install modified NexTheme? y y Bad mode NEXTHEME INSTALLED SUCCESSFULLY! Script has completed successfully , reboot now?{y/n) y y WARNING: Reboot will take 5 - 10 minutes! Rebooting, please wait ...