GPS Down?

GiantDroid

Reaction score
"Use wireless networks" also allows Google web searches to provide location aware results. That's what the "Location consent" notice is for when you enable this setting.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
"Use wireless networks" also allows Google web searches to provide location aware results. That's what the "Location consent" notice is for when you enable this setting.
I like this setting. No more having to put my city after every business or restaurant search. it 'knows' where i am. big brother or not, it's a nice feature :)

jjnagy

Reaction score
Yes I know, GPS can't be down.

Ok, I've been using the gps a lot over the last couple of weeks and have grown to be somewhat dependent on it.

However, starting today, I can't get a signal anywhere. I've changed my settings to include cell signal, but it's really useless for navigation.

Thinking it may have to do with a program upgrade, I started up in safe mode, but still no change. The funny thing is, if I hit the "my location" button, it puts me up in Canada, and then starts drifting slowly, but never makes it's way back to Wisconsin.

Any ideas?

FYI,

No ideas, but I started having the same problem today. Keeps putting my location in South America! Still have not figured out why? Trying turning on and off Wifi and GPS no change?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes I know, GPS can't be down.

Ok, I've been using the gps a lot over the last couple of weeks and have grown to be somewhat dependent on it.

However, starting today, I can't get a signal anywhere. I've changed my settings to include cell signal, but it's really useless for navigation.

Thinking it may have to do with a program upgrade, I started up in safe mode, but still no change. The funny thing is, if I hit the "my location" button, it puts me up in Canada, and then starts drifting slowly, but never makes it's way back to Wisconsin.

Any ideas?

FYI,

No ideas, but I started having the same problem today. Keeps putting my location in South America! Still have not figured out why? Trying turning on and off Wifi and GPS no change?
Try turning off GPS, and turn off "use wireless networks" in the location setting. Then enable GPS again, with 'wireless networks' off. Your GPS should find you. Then just go back an re-enable "use wireless networks" (this is how your phone locates you without GPS, by nearest tower)

tmwfla

Reaction score
Well, mine's still jacked up. I've uninstalled the WeatherBug app, unchecked the location via GPS and wireless networks, rechecked the GPS option, rebooted, etc. I live in Phoenix, AZ and it's almost always sunny, or mostly sunny here. This is getting really annoying.

OP
M

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
Just for the sake of it, try turning off both GPS options, turning the phone off and doing a battery pull. After restarting, turn it back on and try again. If that doesn't work, try it again, but restarting in safe mode.

I can't believe that there's something long term wrong if it's working at time. I just haven't figured out what is changing in the equation.

FYI, mine has been fine since my one night of Canandian roaming.

Tim K

Reaction score
Mine was out for about 5-6 hours on Sunday (1/10). Nothing brought it up, battery pulls, resets, etc. I installed a couple of GPS status apps. They showed me tracking multiple Sats but I could not get a fix. It came back on its own but I haven't tried it since.