Trouble with google maps after upgrade to 2.1

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by droid507, Apr 4, 2010.

1. droid507

droid507 New Member

So since I did the manual upgrade to 2.1, my GPS is acting up. Prior to my upgrade, I always had a great signal and would instantly get satellite lock and get my navigation directions. However, ever since the upgrade, when trying to navigate, google maps continues to say "searching for GPS". If it does lock, it's a long time of searching.

anyone else having this issue. Is there a fix? Google navigation was was the main reason I loved my droid.

Can anyone help?

thanks
  2. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Did you try navigating from maps, or navigation in car home? I took the ota and just opened maps, and it pulled my location up right away...
  3. ldimick

ldimick New Member

I had that problem after an update once. Unloaded and reinstalled Maps. Problem solved.
  4. Jonny Kansas

I believe that the latest version of maps is built-in to the official 2.1 update, and can't be uninstalled/reinstalled...
  5. Zindrix

Zindrix New Member

I had trouble with this earlier in the day as well. I used it in the morning and it worked fine, but later on when I tried to use it it couldn't get a signal. I did however try my mother's Garmin Nuivi GPS and it also had trouble finding satellites. I'm not sure what is up, maybe it's the satellites or maybe it's the solar flare nonsense they said were going to interfere with GPS this year...
  6. ldimick

ldimick New Member

I don't believe that is true. Some of the ROM builders have included it as a system app but it can still be removed through settings.
  7. Jonny Kansas

I was under the impression that the op was on stock 2.1, but maybe I was mistaken.
    If you ARE running stock, you can uninstall updates in settings/applications/manage applications.

That MIGHT fix the issue if you uninstall the updates and then reinstall, but idk. I just applied the maps live wallpaper and it's finding me pretty good although that uses cell towers instead of gps...
  8. droid507

droid507 New Member

Thank you!

Yes I am running stock and I used your recommendations and it did the trick. It's working back to normal.
  9. Jonny Kansas

Glad to hear!
  10. Threepio

Threepio New Member

not working for me, before i upgraded to 2.1 my google maps used to show my exact location. Now i get a blue circle, that shows my location acurate withing 1200 meters......wtf. i tried uninstalling and reinstalling updates but no luck.
  11. Jonny Kansas

Do you have gps enabled and are you outside with a clear view of the sky? Those are simple things, but big factors in the accuracy of the app.
  12. Threepio

Threepio New Member

Yea i realized that after a little playing. Thanks!
  13. markwebb

markwebb New Member

I am noticing an "issue" with MAPS. While driving, everything displays quickly and accurately, but I notice the screen does not refresh as I keep moving as my location shifts off the current screen. I have to "swipe" the screen in the direction I am moving to see the current location. Is this normal? Perhaps there is a setting I am missing?

I had used VZW Navigator on another phone, and the screem automatically refreshed to the next grid/location on the map; no swiping.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  14. Jonny Kansas

Make sure to press menu and click "my location" that should follow your location. There MAY be an option in settings to follow you, but I can't remember...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  15. markwebb

markwebb New Member

Thanks for the response.

However, I think I need to clarify. The Map follows me but does not "move" with me. . For example, I click on "my location" and it correctly displays me on Road A. As I move on Road A, I watch my marker move along the screen. However, when my marker runs off the screen, the screen doesn't refresh or advance to the next grid. I have to swipe to see where I am. VZW Navigator instantly refreshed when I moved off the screen (was way cool when on Amtrak and watching the screens keep in time with 120 MPH streak down the track!). I would think if I am driving this could be dangerous as I must physically swipe each time I need to see a new screen as I am moving.
  16. soops

soops New Member

Maps vs Navigation

Are you in navigation car home mode? I don't have my phone w/me, but I thought you must be in navigation car home mode in order for the screen to move as you moved on the maps. In regular maps mode you will get updated but the screen does not moved.
  17. markwebb

markwebb New Member

Aaah..let me check! Where is that setting?
  18. Jonny Kansas

I understood you. I'm guessing my response was confusing because the way you want it to work is the way that I remember it working. I was going to test mine on the way home from work, but I stopped at the store and forgot to pull maps up when I left...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  19. Zippster

Zippster Member

My issue seems to be usually getting just over half way on the route and it starts with the Searching for GPS which then leads into locking up my entire phone, being on the road I dont have time to undo my case and pull the battery so it will sit frozen with an eventually Force Close screen for about 5+ minutes and then the whole phone will reboot. All this is since the 2.1 "update" My Droid was rock solid before..........:mad:
  20. soops

soops New Member

Zippster, I too had this issue after my initial 2.1 ota update. I don't remember exactly who recommended it, but I uninstall google maps and reinstall again from the market and this issue went away, at least for me.
Search tags for this page

always searching for gps on navigation

searching for satellite issue galaxy s4