GPS Down?

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
Yes I know, GPS can't be down.

Ok, I've been using the gps a lot over the last couple of weeks and have grown to be somewhat dependent on it.

However, starting today, I can't get a signal anywhere. I've changed my settings to include cell signal, but it's really useless for navigation.

Thinking it may have to do with a program upgrade, I started up in safe mode, but still no change. The funny thing is, if I hit the "my location" button, it puts me up in Canada, and then starts drifting slowly, but never makes it's way back to Wisconsin.

Any ideas?

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
Mine wasn't working a couple days go. Neither was my wife's sprint navigation. So could have been alien interference

OP
M

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
So far, that's about the only thing that makes sense.

Since my first post, my wife has gotten home with her droid and I was able to try it. Hers wasn't able to find a location either, but was able to navigate when searching. Go higher figure.

tmwfla

Reaction score
I've had this same problem recently. It's frustrating, since I, too, have become a little used to the nav feature now (not "dependent" on it though). It finds "my location" just fine, but when I try to use the nav, it just keep looking for a signal.

OP
M

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
I'm dependent on it in terms of using out for work, it's just too easy to map out a days worth of job sites and customers and stop thinking about where I'm going next lol

So have either of you found a solution?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had a similar problem for a day... I found that if I went into the phone location settings, and disabled GPS and 'use wireless networks'.... and then enabled GPS it found me no problem. I then went back and re-enabled 'use wireless networks' and all was well. Don't know why this worked or what went on... just wanted to post my finding. Maybe it'll help someone.

TheDJ

Reaction score
I had a similar problem for a day... I found that if I went into the phone location settings, and disabled GPS and 'use wireless networks'.... and then enabled GPS it found me no problem. I then went back and re-enabled 'use wireless networks' and all was well. Don't know why this worked or what went on... just wanted to post my finding. Maybe it'll help someone.

Not to go off-topic, but since you mentioned it - what exactly is the setting 'use wireless networks?' should that be off when GPS is on? Do certian apps use this setting?

Also - I have not had a problem with the navigation, and just used it yesterday.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Not to go off-topic, but since you mentioned it - what exactly is the setting 'use wireless networks?' should that be off when GPS is on? Do certian apps use this setting?

Also - I have not had a problem with the navigation, and just used it yesterday.
"use wireless networks" means that your position/location will be determined by the nearest cell tower that you are receiving your signal from. Doesn't have to be off to use GPS... I leave it on so that if I Google something (without GPS on) it will still give me search results based on my location.

TheDJ

Reaction score

"use wireless networks" means that your position/location will be determined by the nearest cell tower that you are receiving your signal from. Doesn't have to be off to use GPS... I leave it on so that if I Google something (without GPS on) it will still give me search results based on my location.

OK great - thank you.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

OK great - thank you.
You're welcome

jimnutt

Reaction score
Was it particularly snowy the day you were having GPS problems? Heavy snow can attenuate the GPS signals enough that they can't be picked up by a cell phone GPS even when a dedicated GPS (which typically has a better antenna) can. I was having trouble the other day in heavy snow, when I got to breaks in the snow it was able to lock on.

OP
M

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
It was slightly overcast, but no snow. My wife's Droid was a touch slow, but worked just fine, right next to mine that couldn't/wouldn't. I guess what got me, was that it would go to Canada and then start drifting like it was trying to pinpoint my location.

Thanks Martin. I tried it this morning on my way into work to see if it was worth the bother to make a map of the day's stops, and it worked fine. I did play around with turning the GPS and Wireless Networks settings on and off last night. It could be what set things straight. Now I'm wondering what would change with turning it on and off manually like that would do that a battery pull wouldn't?

Thanks all,

GMofOLC

Reaction score
I've been having this problem too lately, and it makes me sad. I had the problem on my first phone as well as my second one. (I got the second one less than a week ago due to weird dots on the screen.)
One time it said it had my location and I was moving through the desert in west Texas. I was in downtown Dallas at the time...

devil94

Reaction score
Yes I know, GPS can't be down.

Ok, I've been using the gps a lot over the last couple of weeks and have grown to be somewhat dependent on it.

However, starting today, I can't get a signal anywhere. I've changed my settings to include cell signal, but it's really useless for navigation.

Thinking it may have to do with a program upgrade, I started up in safe mode, but still no change. The funny thing is, if I hit the "my location" button, it puts me up in Canada, and then starts drifting slowly, but never makes it's way back to Wisconsin.

Any ideas?

Move to Arizona, then your drifting will occur somewhere in Mexico