1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Gps app

Discussion in 'HTC Rezound' started by trackman1, Jul 28, 2012.

1. trackman1

trackman1 New Member

Hi just wanted to know which is the best GPS app for the HTC Rezound....thanks
  2. Abe21599

Abe21599 Super Moderator

google maps?
  3. trackman1

trackman1 New Member

thanks just thought there was a actual GPS app that can be used.......??
  4. Abe21599

Abe21599 Super Moderator

what do you want to do with the gps? there's others but g maps is probably the best use for it.
  5. trackman1

trackman1 New Member

ok thank you very much for info.....i just thought if there was a GPS app that acted similar to a regular GPS like Garmin...but if google maps is the best then thats fine

thanks again
  6. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

GPS Status. Free on the market
    Here's a screen shot of it in action

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post
  7. Abe21599

Abe21599 Super Moderator

Google maps has navigation like garmins do. Imo it's better than those devices

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  8. trackman1

trackman1 New Member

thanks alot guys for support and input..i really do appreciate it.....
  9. electricman58

electricman58 New Member

Roflmao!!! He's not goin to War! Nice App though ;P

Looks great for calling in Artillery! :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums
  10. Coupe

Coupe New Member

Seriously? Google maps is the best we got? We're doomed. It may be fine for cruising around on streets when you have a data connection,but you can't cache enough to get very far on a road trip and I don't think you can use it for geocaching, tracks, premade routs or working with long/lat coords.

I really think some people have never actually owned a real gps device.
  11. svdroiddude

svdroiddude New Member

Actually you can cache areas on Google Maps now...and it works pretty well. Navigation even will cache your route so it's pretty useful in most applications. If you are going off the grid all the time get a stand alone GPS.
  12. HowardZ

HowardZ New Member

I recall reading somewhere that Garmin has a $40 app that runs like a Garmin nuvi GPS. if I recall correctly is goes under the trade name if navigon.

I do not know how well it works.
  13. Coupe

Coupe New Member

Yea, that's why i pointed out that whole cache thing in my post? It works so long as you stay in the small cached area. Dont you find it at all odd that you cannot cache the entire USA ? You have enough memory to do that, or at least 3 or 4 states. The reason google limits your cache to the area about the size of a county is for tracking purposes. I can't stand that, of course they will tell us they limit cache sizes so they can be sure we have "the most current data for a better experience", I call bs on that.
    I know that the new iOS and windows phone from Nokia offer a much better solution to make your phone use that gps chip and turn your phone into a dedicated gps.

It's sad that google is limiting users with this tactic, I am betting its just so they can sell even more of our personal data.

Oh, and I have two dedicated gps devices, one is mil spec and water proof to three feet ( why three is beyond me, rain I guess). Anyway, this rezound has a cost of over $500 and google is limiting your options with google maps and reselling who you are,what you search for both in search and maps, where you go and how long you stay there....and that is how they make the billions.

Needless to say this is my first android device, and it will probably be my last due to the theft of personal information unless google changes how apps interact with each other and how they use sneaky tactics like limiting my off line map cache just to require me to connect to the network to find out where I am.

Why do people tolerate this is just ponderous. You have to agree that Carl Marx, Lennon, Stalin & hitler would have used these tools for bad things, why do you think the powerful now are any different?
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  14. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I guess my needs for a GPS are different. I only use my stand alone for getting bearing while bike riding in the woods, not mapping my destination.
    I initially got this app for the sole purpose of making my phones GPS become usable faster. It also picks up satellites in thick foliage, something my eTreks won't reliably and consistently do.
    For mapping and creating way points I use Geo Reader, also free.
    For a Google Maps like app with lots more ability GPS Essentials can't be beat, another freebie.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  15. Abe21599

Abe21599 Super Moderator

I didnt buy this phone to use as a GPS, although it's nice to have. If you need GPS all the time, a standalone device would be better.

and google "stealing" your information? sneaky tactics? no one says you have to use their services... have fun finding a phone that doesn't ask for your information.
  16. marioval

marioval New Member

If you have a limited data plan are you are using your phone as a GPS navigator, then G Maps may not be the best solution for you. You need an onboard Nav app that stores all the maps and POI's on your phone and uses very little if any data. There is a free app called NavFreeUSA that uses OSM maps (free open source community maps. Like Wikipedia but with maps) Its a decent app but not great. One time it told me to go straight where there was a river and I know for a fact there was never a bridge there! I myself bought Sygic ($40 USD) and use it very often and love it! Both of these allow you to download your maps from home on wifi then use them to navigate with no data use. Another benefit of these onboard apps is they will continue to work even if you are in an area with no cell coverage. For my wife's iphone we got Igo Primo for $25 USD and thats a great one too.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  17. Abe21599

Abe21599 Super Moderator

But even you start talking about prices like that, you can get a basic TomTom or Garmin for like $60, so it's really how you want to approach the situation..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  18. marioval

marioval New Member

$40 is less than $60. That's how I approached it.
  19. HowardZ

HowardZ New Member

Well, if someone has a Garmin nuvi that broke, and has an older phone laying around unused, and likes the GPS to be a separate device....then $40 for the Garmin Android app might be nice.

I don't know if the app has all the features of a real nuvi.
  20. tc1

tc1 New Member

Navigon actually works really well, although for some reason I have to have a data connection when the app 1st starts up.

Maybe it's phoning home for piracy reasons, but it defeats the whole point of being able to have maps on board.

Google needs to add an actual compass and way points.
Search tags for this page

best gps app for rezound

best navigation app htz rezound

gps app for htc rezound

gps app for htz rezound

htc rezound android gps

htc rezound droid gps app

rezound. gps app