Gps app

OP
T

trackman1

Reaction score
thanks just thought there was a actual GPS app that can be used.......??

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
what do you want to do with the gps? there's others but g maps is probably the best use for it.

OP
T

trackman1

Reaction score
ok thank you very much for info.....i just thought if there was a GPS app that acted similar to a regular GPS like Garmin...but if google maps is the best then thats fine

thanks again

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
GPS Status. Free on the market
Here's a screen shot of it in action

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ok thank you very much for info.....i just thought if there was a GPS app that acted similar to a regular GPS like Garmin...but if google maps is the best then thats fine

thanks again

Google maps has navigation like garmins do. Imo it's better than those devices

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
T

trackman1

Reaction score
thanks alot guys for support and input..i really do appreciate it.....

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
mountainbikermark said:
GPS Status. Free on the market
Here's a screen shot of it in action

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

Roflmao!!! He's not goin to War! Nice App though ;P

Looks great for calling in Artillery! :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

Coupe

Reaction score
Seriously? Google maps is the best we got? We're doomed. It may be fine for cruising around on streets when you have a data connection,but you can't cache enough to get very far on a road trip and I don't think you can use it for geocaching, tracks, premade routs or working with long/lat coords.

I really think some people have never actually owned a real gps device.

svdroiddude

Reaction score
Seriously? Google maps is the best we got? We're doomed. It may be fine for cruising around on streets when you have a data connection,but you can't cache enough to get very far on a road trip and I don't think you can use it for geocaching, tracks, premade routs or working with long/lat coords.

I really think some people have never actually owned a real gps device.

Actually you can cache areas on Google Maps now...and it works pretty well. Navigation even will cache your route so it's pretty useful in most applications. If you are going off the grid all the time get a stand alone GPS.

HowardZ

Reaction score
I recall reading somewhere that Garmin has a $40 app that runs like a Garmin nuvi GPS. if I recall correctly is goes under the trade name if navigon.

I do not know how well it works.

Coupe

Reaction score
Actually you can cache areas on Google Maps now...and it works pretty well. Navigation even will cache your route so it's pretty useful in most applications. If you are going off the grid all the time get a stand alone GPS.

Yea, that's why i pointed out that whole cache thing in my post? It works so long as you stay in the small cached area. Dont you find it at all odd that you cannot cache the entire USA ? You have enough memory to do that, or at least 3 or 4 states. The reason google limits your cache to the area about the size of a county is for tracking purposes. I can't stand that, of course they will tell us they limit cache sizes so they can be sure we have "the most current data for a better experience", I call bs on that.
I know that the new iOS and windows phone from Nokia offer a much better solution to make your phone use that gps chip and turn your phone into a dedicated gps.

It's sad that google is limiting users with this tactic, I am betting its just so they can sell even more of our personal data.

Oh, and I have two dedicated gps devices, one is mil spec and water proof to three feet ( why three is beyond me, rain I guess). Anyway, this rezound has a cost of over $500 and google is limiting your options with google maps and reselling who you are,what you search for both in search and maps, where you go and how long you stay there....and that is how they make the billions.

Needless to say this is my first android device, and it will probably be my last due to the theft of personal information unless google changes how apps interact with each other and how they use sneaky tactics like limiting my off line map cache just to require me to connect to the network to find out where I am.

Why do people tolerate this is just ponderous. You have to agree that Carl Marx, Lennon, Stalin & hitler would have used these tools for bad things, why do you think the powerful now are any different?

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Roflmao!!! He's not goin to War! Nice App though ;P

Looks great for calling in Artillery! :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

I guess my needs for a GPS are different. I only use my stand alone for getting bearing while bike riding in the woods, not mapping my destination.
I initially got this app for the sole purpose of making my phones GPS become usable faster. It also picks up satellites in thick foliage, something my eTreks won't reliably and consistently do.
For mapping and creating way points I use Geo Reader, also free.
For a Google Maps like app with lots more ability GPS Essentials can't be beat, another freebie.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

Last edited:

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I didnt buy this phone to use as a GPS, although it's nice to have. If you need GPS all the time, a standalone device would be better.

and google "stealing" your information? sneaky tactics? no one says you have to use their services... have fun finding a phone that doesn't ask for your information.