Should upgrade to Rezound now or wait until quad-core NVidia Tegra 3-powered device?

lucidreamer

Reaction score
Hi,

I am still with my long-trusted rooted Droid with 2.3.7 Bugless for the last 2 years and became eligible for an upgrade from Verizon recently. I like Droid overall, it does all I need, but internet is pretty slow for video and some apps crash and take time to load, GPS is buggy sometimes and the phone gets pretty hot when using it for internet or GPS. Sounds like it is time for an upgrade for $229 and give another 2 years of loyalty to Verizon.

Based on my research the Rezound sounds like the best device on the market at the moment - HD screen, 4LTE, Beats, dual CPU power, etc... well, at least for me it sounds like the best one.
Of course, the next year promises quad-core Nvidia Tegra 3 smartphones that will definitely surpass Rezound but when exactly they will be released... who knows, next quarter, next summer?

One of the concerns about Rezound is the battery life. The Tegra 3 promises to run 8-10 hours of video which really sounds phenomenal. I just got a couple of 3450 mAh batteries for my Droid but did not really notice

Main question - should I upgrade to Rezound immediately or wait for a newer and better device next year? Any suggestions? Thanks!

kparks

Reaction score
Hi,

I am still with my long-trusted rooted Droid with 2.3.7 Bugless for the last 2 years and became eligible for an upgrade from Verizon recently. I like Droid overall, it does all I need, but internet is pretty slow for video and some apps crash and take time to load, GPS is buggy sometimes and the phone gets pretty hot when using it for internet or GPS. Sounds like it is time for an upgrade for $229 and give another 2 years of loyalty to Verizon.

Based on my research the Rezound sounds like the best device on the market at the moment - HD screen, 4LTE, Beats, dual CPU power, etc... well, at least for me it sounds like the best one.
Of course, the next year promises quad-core Nvidia Tegra 3 smartphones that will definitely surpass Rezound but when exactly they will be released... who knows, next quarter, next summer?

One of the concerns about Rezound is the battery life. The Tegra 3 promises to run 8-10 hours of video which really sounds phenomenal. I just got a couple of 3450 mAh batteries for my Droid but did not really notice

Main question - should I upgrade to Rezound immediately or wait for a newer and better device next year? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Upgrade now the rezound will be a HUGE upgrade from ur current phone... Look when the quad core come out who knows when then there will be talk of the next big thing then what... Will u wait more??? Look at it like this ur gonna get top of the line right now when them quad core comes out ull be 1 year into ur contract pretty much then u can get the greatest thing the following year.. the way the phone industry is if u wait for something u will always hear something better is coming out!

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Hi,

I ..... became eligible for an upgrade from Verizon recently. ... Sounds like it is time for an upgrade for $229 and give another 2 years of loyalty to Verizon. ...Based on my research the Rezound sounds like the best device on the market at the moment
- should I upgrade to Rezound immediately or wait for a newer and better device next year? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Here's the way I look at upgrades. I'm not about to jump ship on Verizon, so it doesn't matter to me if I'm under contract or not. As a matter of fact, being under contract assures me that I can keep the plan and prices I got; they can't up my costs, but will allow me to lower them if a better deal comes along. So the upgrade allows me to buy a phone with about a $660 retail price for $300. That's a credit of $18 per month towards a new phone (every 20 months). But once I pass my eligibility date for an upgrade, I don't get any more "credit" each month. So I take advantage of the upgrade ASAP. It also allows me to have a 20 month old phone handy as a backup, rather than a three year or older phone lying around as a fill-in, in case disaster strikes my current phone.
My advice would be to go for the Rezound now. And your research is right; the Rezound is the best device on the market at the moment.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
ICS is gonna be the first version of Android that will be dual core optimized. Who knows how far out quad core optimization is. Just food for thought.

Tap'd from my Bionic

OP
L

lucidreamer

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, everyone, appreciate all your feedback and suggestions. Sounds like upgrading now may be a better choice overall.

Chukee

Reaction score
It's just me but if your phone is working fine with very little issue I would wait for the quad. If u do the upgrade now and a quad phone does come out early next year you will be right back in the forum wondering why you upgraded so soon and why Verizon won't let you upgrade now.. I see it all the time in this forum. if I was you I would wait for the quads to come out. But that just me.

Hallsie11

Reaction score
So far i have yet to find someone happy with rezound. I just bought a bolt, but my first purchase went south because he didnt want to sell it after two days with rezound

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

kparks

Reaction score
So far i have yet to find someone happy with rezound. I just bought a bolt, but my first purchase went south because he didnt want to sell it after two days with rezound

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Tons of people are happy with there rezound what r u talkin about?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be honest here. I've heard nothing but good things about the Rezound. I don't have it, but everyone I've heard has nothing but good things to say about the phone.

If I wasn't unlocked bootloader bound (Nexus), i'd probably go ahead and jump ship from my D1 to the Rezound. But a lot of D1 owners have been waiting for another vanilla phone and I can't pass that up.

As for your question, use your upgrade when you see a phone that will satisfy you for two years. Don't upgrade and then be bummed when 15 days later you decide it's not for you.

Sent from my CushZero using Tapatalk

mikeinctown

Reaction score
I went from a D1 to the Rezound and while I have had problems, this thing is light years ahead of the Droid. I am happy with my purchase. I honestly don't think any phone anymore is going to get 8-10 hours of video use. That's just too much power being used.

OP
L

lucidreamer

Reaction score
Thanks again, folks, I just went ahead and ordered one from Amazon, hope the quest for a new phone is coming to its logical end.

Those of you who already have Rezound, any major issues with the unit getting too hot while watching video or gaming, for example? My Droid gets pretty hot at times which really bugs me actually. It may be useful for someone living up north to warm hands outside during the winter. But I am in Florida, therefore, not dying to have another phone that melts in my hand.

mikeinctown

Reaction score
The screen is a HD one and so during use it does get fairly warm. I watched the game yesterday on the NFL network on the phone and could tell the battery got warm. Wasn't as hot as my D1 usd to get, but it was fairly warm anyway. I wouldn't worry.

Droid592

Reaction score
The Rezound is a awesome device,i upgraded from the thunderbolt and it was a huge improvement.I heavily use this phone and it has yet to get extremely hot like my Droid use to get.The only thing this phone lacks is full root but I'm sure we will have it soon.i was ready to jump ship and get the nexus but I'm going to hold onto this device.

HTC Rezound