Got the Droid last week, trade for Incredible?

mister-walter

Reaction score
I bought my Moto Droid last week with a new contract, a $50 credit because of the "New Every Two" thing, and sent in for the $100 mail in rebate. If I go to the VZW store on the 29th and trade in for an Incredible, will I get the same rebates or will there be no money involved as both phones are the same price? Also, should I reset to a factory ROM before I trade in?

Thanks- Mister Walter.

newandroiduser

Reaction score
I am still in the 30 day return period also and bought the droid from costco so I can return and avoid the $35 restock fee, and can then make use of my new every 2 by buying the Inc from Verizon and end up paying the same amount as I did for the droid.

However after endless reading reviews I am becoming more and more confused. I love the Droids construction and how it feels like a high end device. I also found myself liking the physical keyboard, especially for chatting programs like skype and gtalk. I can type while having the full screen to display the chat and no virtual keyboard taking up precious screen real estate.

Battery life is important to me, and a very unique aspect about the droid is the actual physical battery. It is a square shaped battery, and its the perfect size to keep a spare one in a wallet. The Incredible uses a long, thinner rectangular battery that I couldnt easily fit in a wallet.

Apart from these faults the droid incredible trumps the droid in every other way. The oncreen keyboard has been greatly improved from the N1 and moto with the new sensors. The processor is faster than an OCed droid, along with alot more ram. Sense UI is pretty. So essentially its a fight between build vs brains. I hate the fact of ditching sturdy metal build for cheap budget feeling plastic.
I think of the Incredible as having a Wolfs muscle in a Sheeps clothing.

Anybody have any info that may help me make the decision?

kmo

Reaction score
I am still in the 30 day return period also and bought the droid from costco so I can return and avoid the $35 restock fee, and can then make use of my new every 2 by buying the Inc from Verizon and end up paying the same amount as I did for the droid.

However after endless reading reviews I am becoming more and more confused. I love the Droids construction and how it feels like a high end device. I also found myself liking the physical keyboard, especially for chatting programs like skype and gtalk. I can type while having the full screen to display the chat and no virtual keyboard taking up precious screen real estate.

Battery life is important to me, and a very unique aspect about the droid is the actual physical battery. It is a square shaped battery, and its the perfect size to keep a spare one in a wallet. The Incredible uses a long, thinner rectangular battery that I couldnt easily fit in a wallet.

Apart from these faults the droid incredible trumps the droid in every other way. The oncreen keyboard has been greatly improved from the N1 and moto with the new sensors. The processor is faster than an OCed droid, along with alot more ram. Sense UI is pretty. So essentially its a fight between build vs brains. I hate the fact of ditching sturdy metal build for cheap budget feeling plastic.
I think of the Incredible as having a Wolfs muscle in a Sheeps clothing.

Anybody have any info that may help me make the decision?
Unless you're attached to your physical keyboard and have to have it, then I don't think there should be any question, get the Incredible. You will have the latest in hardware. As fast as these phones are being upgraded it won't be long before some other device is all over the internet and will take over "top dog" spotlight. I am going to stop looking for a while after I get my Incredible and just be happy for a while, which shouldn't be hard with this new phone...

newandroiduser

Reaction score
[/QUOTE] Unless you're attached to your physical keyboard and have to have it, then I don't think there should be any question, get the Incredible. You will have the latest in hardware. As fast as these phones are being upgraded it won't be long before some other device is all over the internet and will take over "top dog" spotlight. I am going to stop looking for a while after I get my Incredible and just be happy for a while, which shouldn't be hard with this new phone...[/QUOTE]

I know the specs are better, but as a phone and being functional I feel the reviews are not showing the entire picture. Most of the online media loves shiny new toys, and loves to praise and hype them up even though sometimes its undeserved. Core elements like poor signal strength, and poor battery life need to be addressed more. The call quality has also had mixed reviews, and the phone doesnt even have the ability to dampen background noise. Also I have a Zune HD and while out with sunlight it is impossible to read the OLED, while an LCD is much more manageable. The plastic build should also have been given harsher marks compared to the N1 and Desire. I would love to get the phone with the highest specs, but I just cannot overlook all this since in the end I need it to be primarily a phone.

Caesarg

Reaction score
Have had the droid since it came out. I have no desire to switch to the Incredible. As for newer hardware, about the biggest difference I see is the processor. Worth the switch? Not for me. I love the droid. It works great and does all I need it to do. And for those who switch, are you going to switch again in 2 or 3 months when the next "best" phone comes out? It if was a major upgrade I could see possibly upgrading.

Finally, even though it is not the greatest keyboards, I have gotten to where I use it quite often.

kmo

Reaction score
Hey the Incredible obviously isn't for everyone but let's face it, it is the top Andriod phone out there at this moment in time, period. .... all the arguments I've seen against or for getting one are pure personal preference. You can't really argue the fact that this phone has the latest features and hardware on board. Personally I haven't seen a phone on Verizon that has received such great reviews right out of the box ever.... It's about time. I think this phone will set a new benchmark for the next generation that will be coming.

littlerick

Reaction score
i think if you mailed in the rebate your out of luck since the barcode is gone

sorry it used to be once the barcode was gone they wouldnt take it back but i just read all the fine print and all they do is subtract the rebate from the total you paid (so 299.95 - 100 rebate = 199.95) so i guess you have to pay the difference then mail in another rebate

Sodner

Reaction score
i think if you mailed in the rebate your out of luck since the barcode is gone

Jeeze good point. I just got my second Droid and like the OP considering the switch but completely forgot about the $100 rebate.

How does mailing the rebate in affect the ability to do the 30 day swtich-er-rooo?

newandroiduser

Reaction score
Hey the Incredible obviously isn't for everyone but let's face it, it is the top Andriod phone out there at this moment in time, period. .... all the arguments I've seen against or for getting one are pure personal preference. You can't really argue the fact that this phone has the latest features and hardware on board. Personally I haven't seen a phone on Verizon that has received such great reviews right out of the box ever.... It's about time. I think this phone will set a new benchmark for the next generation that will be coming.

I agree that its probably the fastest phone available on the market today, but there are many valid arguments to still pick the droid over the incredible even at the same price. All the online reviews seem to be praising this phone highly, too the point of being overhyped. The last time I remember something being this overhyped was Grand Theft Auto 4, where the game got universal acclaim from all of the critics, almost all 10/10, while when the game came out the users didnt really like it at all. I know video games and phones are not the same, but the critical acclaim concept is the same.

The Incredible is a beast under the hood, but it has its share of flaws. Starting with the build, it simply feels like a toy compared to the metallic droid. The phone reception has been regarded as hit or miss, and generally less than the droid. There is no background cancellation like the Droid or the N1, and this has resulted in the Speech to Text being less accurate than the Droid. Battery life is subpar and will require an extended battery to get 1 days of use out of it, while the Droid has just been enough to get through 1 day without needing another battery. AMOLED looks amazing in a room but if its like my Zune HD it will be a nightmare to use outside compared to a traditional LCD.

The physical keyboard debate is a wash since the Incredible uses a newer touchscreen sensor it should be more sensitive in that regard, but the physical keyboard on the droid isnt as horrible as everyone says once its give a few hours.

Consumers just need to pick their battles and do their homework on what they want. No phone is perfect, and each person needs something for their uses, and in this age better specs does not always equal better product. For phone quality + durability it seems the Droid is better. For everything else non phone related (internet, camera....) the Incredible is a better bet.

kmo

Reaction score
As far as durability goes, I don't plan on using my Incredible as a football so the plastic will hold up just fine. The build on the MDroid, I agree is very good. I just didn't like the "heavy" feel to it. Felt like a brick in my pocket. I'm not a belt clip person so my pocket is where my phone goes, I will enjoy the new "lighter" Incredible. I think all the arguments are a bit premature since there are only a few devices out in the world at this point. Over the next few weeks we'll see what the real world issues will be with this new phone. Let's face it nothing is perfect and there will be issues but I'm still convinced that my move from MDroid to Incredible will be worth it IMHO.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Regarding the 30 day return period, you don't need the box. They charge you a 35.00 restocking charge anyway.

And if there is an increase in the cost of the phone that applies too, of course.